Closed Thread
Old 08-26-2015, 01:14 AM   #1
RV Vagabond Jerry
Red face Let police search your RV?

When you are stopped by the police and they ask to search your RV, do you let them or say no? How has that gone either way? For full timers, that is your home, and they could really tear it apart looking for trouble. Right?

Jerry Dixon is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 01:28 AM   #2
Just a member

Keith, Lori & the Wild Bunch
TT: 2011 Rockwood 8293RKSS
TV: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 CC 4x4 (ya.. it's got a Hemi
kandl is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 02:25 AM   #3

Per my legal dept, no...
2015 Solera MBS 24R - Hellwig/Sumo Equipped
TOAD: 2014 Fiat 500 Abarth

(Sold the Vibe 6506)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 02:48 AM   #4
Subscribing also.....

2013 GMC Savana 2500 FBI Edition
2015 Rockwood 8327SS stuffed with 5 kids!

SE Michigan
Nights camped 2014: 48
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 03:33 AM   #5
Originally Posted by Jerry Dixon View Post
When you are stopped by the police and they ask to search your RV, do you let them or say no? How has that gone either way? For full timers, that is your home, and they could really tear it apart looking for trouble. Right?
It is my understanding, that you can refuse the police unless they have a warrant. At Least if you are in the USA.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 04:55 AM   #6
Only seen the police stop at a wide spot where I stopped to see if needed help. Told him I was closing and looking a door on the side of the camper I had missed. He just was offering to get help if I needed it. Thanked him and was ready to go he went the other way and I came home. Never paid attention to see if he was state or county.

A buddy that exaggerates coming for NJ had his searched. He had turkey hunting gun and stuff along with other guns. They cared less. They wanted a dog to check for drugs. He was whining about hair in the camper and they had opened up everything. He is a professional whiner.

I don't know anyone who has crossed the border either. So no help there. If guns. Have concealed carry and stored properly. The police are trained to watch your eyes. If you look where you are worried about you should have told them cause you did with out saying. CDL issue there.

In campground there were welding leads stolen and police were just stopping to ask others and warn. I told them to help themselves. The guns are in case. Beer in the fridge with Johnny Walker. They laughed and went on I was cooking my steak and ready to eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 06:01 AM   #7
I was a police officer so here goes. If we ask you, you do NOT have to let us. If we see you or a passenger trying to conceal something under the seat, etc., your vehicle WILL be searched. If we see something out in plain view in your vehicle or camper that is illegal, then it WILL be searched. If you are arrested, your vehicle and camper WILL be searched.
Les & Heidi Kramer
2010 GMC Sierra SLE & 2014 Shamrock 23IKSS
Cleveland, OH
cpd1343 is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 06:27 AM   #8
Mod free 5er
I wouldn't care if they searched or not if they ask and had a logical reason.
OldCoot is online now   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 06:29 AM   #9
No no no no no no

Always always always be very respectful with any police officer but please realize they are highly trained and if you are not an attorney you are not.

If they are asking they do not have the right. Never give an officer permission to search anything make them go through the legal process and get an attorney immediately to represent you.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 06:32 AM   #10
There not getting in my truck or trailer with out a Warrant

iceblaze580 is offline   Reply
Closed Thread