Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2019, 12:26 PM   #1

Let the adventure begin

We have been stuck in the bitter cold and snow for weeks now. As we watched extended forecasts we wondered if we would ever be able to escape Wisconsin weather. This year our snowbird destination will be Mobile Alabama. We leave Monday and the weather couldn't be better. After -28 temps and -55 degree wind chills it will be + 40 or so for loading the trailer and hooking up. This year it's just over 1000 miles, last year was a coast to coast 7400 mile journey. We look forward to seeing what it will be like to be in one spot for 2 months. We can't wait to evacuate!
Daves rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 12:30 PM   #2

Too bad you didn't leave last week to avoid the extreme cold. Have fun in Mobile!
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:52 PM   #3

Enjoy and have a safe trip!!!!!!!
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:19 PM   #4

Mobile weather and area now are great compared to where you are now. We are enjoying the area now till its time to head north!
Old 02-01-2019, 02:55 PM   #5

We visited Mobile last year and really enjoyed it. We have friends that condo in Gulf Shores to visit and golf with.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:31 PM   #6

We come here for Jan and Feb. Better weather than at home!
Old 02-02-2019, 01:29 PM   #7

Let us know how you like Mobile. We are going to the KOA in Lilian in April.
Mikolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 02:12 PM   #8

We spent 5 days in Mobile last year and really enjoyed it. It is also close to Biloxi and we plan to visit there as well. I checked out the KOA in Lillian it looks great. Enjoy your trip.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:23 PM   #9

Have fun.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:17 AM   #10

Do you already have reservations for Mobile? If not, or if you can change them I would suggest Meaher State Park in Spanish Fort (right across the Mobile Bay bridge from Mobile.

https://www.alapark.com/Meaher-State-Park-Camping

It is a VERY nice campground with full hookups right on Mobile Bay. They offer monthly rates as well
Old 02-03-2019, 09:14 AM   #11

Went to fire up Genny & a 15 amp heater in MH yesterday, after last weeks sub 0 temps, -30 & -40 wind chills, I found the inside of the MH was covered with Frost ???
After running heater for an hour every thing was pretty dried out, I wish I would have thought to run 2 heaters, but I think the meds I am taking are slowing my thoughts ???
LOL !!! Also I did find the exterior Jenson Radio playing away ! I thought we had solved that problem, guess not, will need to go back and search, for how to properly turn the DAMM thing off, I may look for a fuse to pull !!!

YOU ALL KEEP WARM NOW !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:17 AM   #12

So you have a ghost radio also! Nothing like having it turn itself on at 3am! Discovered that the face plate on mine comes off. Its in a cabinet now!
I kept warm by heading to Southern Alabama!
Old 02-03-2019, 09:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
So you have a ghost radio also! Nothing like having it turn itself on at 3am! Discovered that the face plate on mine comes off. Its in a cabinet now!
I kept warm by heading to Southern Alabama!
Do you have a Jenson ???
THANKS for the reply Deuce !!!
Roger...
Old 02-03-2019, 09:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Do you have a Jenson ???

THANKS for the reply Deuce !!!

Roger...
Yes I do!
Old 02-03-2019, 09:48 AM   #15

Spent the winter in Gulf Shores area last winter. Now we're in Florida.

Gulf Shores had some cold weather last year....18 about 3 nights in a row.....but we did enjoy the area. So many restaurants. My wife was determined to eat every fried shrimp in the Gulf. We loved Doc's best, and breakfast at Duck's Diner. But there are literally hundreds of unique restaurants. Our biggest pet peeve traveling America is the lack of "Joe's Diner" type restaurants. I'm sick of eating in Applebees in every city we go through!!! Well, Gulf Shores/Orange Beach has plenty of 'em.

First time there we went to Walmart. Wife starts laughing. She said "Everyone here is old!!!". And they were. So were we! LOL. Parking lot license plates said WI, WI, MI, WI, MI, ON, QB, MI, WI, WI............so you'll find plenty of fellow Badgers around.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:50 AM   #16

We have a Jensen in our River Stone and it took me awhile to figure out why the radio would come on in the middle of the night, first thing I did was to turn off the outside speakers, the neighbors were happy for that then eventually what I thought was a sleep timer really turned the unit on, might want to check for that.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Do you already have reservations for Mobile? If not, or if you can change them I would suggest Meaher State Park in Spanish Fort (right across the Mobile Bay bridge from Mobile.

https://www.alapark.com/Meaher-State-Park-Camping

It is a VERY nice campground with full hookups right on Mobile Bay. They offer monthly rates as well
We have stayed in Meaher State park many winters and agree, it's a great place to stay with reasonable rates.
Don't forget to visit Old Town Daphne while your in the area, you will not be sorry.

PS- we have had issues with Ants inside our camper while there so be aware and ask if it's a problem this year. If it is, you can address it with Ant powders around your tires, power cable and water hose.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
We have a Jensen in our River Stone and it took me awhile to figure out why the radio would come on in the middle of the night, first thing I did was to turn off the outside speakers, the neighbors were happy for that then eventually what I thought was a sleep timer really turned the unit on, might want to check for that.

On that subject, check one more thing. Many Jensen's have a "weather alert" function. Ours kept coming on, after being turned OFF, every time there was a weather alert. Which is often, in the spring. Then, once the radio was on, it stayed on..............but on a 'station' for emergency weather that had no other programming on it.

So, weather alert would be over, and we'd walk into trailer and radio would be on, playing static. Took us forever to figure that one out.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:03 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Spent the winter in Gulf Shores area last winter. Now we're in Florida.

Gulf Shores had some cold weather last year....18 about 3 nights in a row.....but we did enjoy the area. So many restaurants. My wife was determined to eat every fried shrimp in the Gulf. We loved Doc's best, and breakfast at Duck's Diner. But there are literally hundreds of unique restaurants. Our biggest pet peeve traveling America is the lack of "Joe's Diner" type restaurants. I'm sick of eating in Applebees in every city we go through!!! Well, Gulf Shores/Orange Beach has plenty of 'em.

First time there we went to Walmart. Wife starts laughing. She said "Everyone here is old!!!". And they were. So were we! LOL. Parking lot license plates said WI, WI, MI, WI, MI, ON, QB, MI, WI, WI............so you'll find plenty of fellow Badgers around.
You didn't try the Skyliner Restaurant. We have done lunch and breakfast. Not bad and not a chain. Great Diners in the North East if you ever get there.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:04 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Will do, Thank You !!!
A couple of years back we were dealing with this problem, and I forget what
we found was the right way to power the radio off ??? Been fine since then, now everytime I go to exercise Genny, the fricken radio is playing,
Could that be a Good way to keep the Critters out of out RV Port ???

SORRY !!!

:anim_snoop y:

Tags
vent