Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2015, 01:51 PM   #1

Level a TT with 2 axles.

I see videos of various leveling block installation. Some show putting the leveling block under just 1axle. Can this damage the axle by putting the weight of one side of the trailer all on one axle? Same scenario for changing a flat tire on a double axle TT.
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 02:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilcin View Post
I see videos of various leveling block installation. Some show putting the leveling block under just 1axle. Can this damage the axle by putting the weight of one side of the trailer all on one axle? Same scenario for changing a flat tire on a double axle TT.
If I need to block the wheels to level, I do both wheels not just one, unless you have 1 in a whole and need to bring that tire up. But that has never happened yet. You would want to spread the load on both axles not just one. At least that is the way I do it. I raise the whole side.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 02:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
If I need to block the wheels to level, I do both wheels not just one, unless you have 1 in a whole and need to bring that tire up. But that has never happened yet. You would want to spread the load on both axles not just one. At least that is the way I do it. I raise the whole side.
X2..don't stress the tires/axles.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:04 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies, I had the same thoughts.
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:53 AM   #5
Swift2

Leveling trailer. I have a six point leveling system on my 320 RS. When I park the trailer I make sure the trailer is level by looking at the level on the front of the trailer. I then block up under the jacks to make sure they only have to travel about an inch before they make contact. From that point I hit the auto level. Each time when the trailer has finished leveling it self, at least one or two of the tires are off the ground. Is this normal? I was under the impression that the leveling system should not be used to lift the tires off the ground. Does anyone have ideas why the tires are being lifted off of the ground? Does this happen to you? Any suggestions?
Swift 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift 2 View Post
Leveling trailer. I have a six point leveling system on my 320 RS. When I park the trailer I make sure the trailer is level by looking at the level on the front of the trailer. I then block up under the jacks to make sure they only have to travel about an inch before they make contact. From that point I hit the auto level. Each time when the trailer has finished leveling it self, at least one or two of the tires are off the ground. Is this normal? I was under the impression that the leveling system should not be used to lift the tires off the ground. Does anyone have ideas why the tires are being lifted off of the ground? Does this happen to you? Any suggestions?
Is it level when the wheels come off the ground? If it is then block your tires while they are up and hit relevel. What you are calling level and the electronic eye could be different. How much are the tires off the ground? It could be the side to side that is not level. Not the front to back.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 01:22 PM   #7

We have the 4 point auto level on our 5er. What I have noticed is if the front is much higher than the back, which is most times (tall truck), it will lower the front as much as possible then raise the back. We have had the tires off the grounda few times but now that I figured out part of the problem I make sure to leave a gap under the front legs when I drop the front legs to have more travel to lower the front end when leveling. I know ours are rated at 5K each (20K total) and was told by the dealer at PDI/ walk thru that if the tires did come up it was not a problem. Was also told not to use them to raise 1 side to change a tire. Not sure if this rambling helps or not but I have experienced the same things you're talking about.

Camp as often as we can
Steven379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:59 PM   #8
Swift2

The leveling is checked by a couple of bubble levels mounted on the side and front of the trailer. They are level when leveled by the auto level system. The tires are off the ground only an inch or so. I'll try to lower the front jacks some next time I get the trailer back form CW. Getting the wheels aligned this week. Should get it back this week.
Swift 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:24 AM   #9
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift 2 View Post
Leveling trailer. I have a six point leveling system on my 320 RS.
I believe the OP has a trailer with stabilizers, not levelers. We're beginning to talk apples and oranges.
Auto leveling is capable of lifting the weight of the unit. The rear levelers are close to the axles, take most of the weight and can lift the tires off the ground.
We who must level with boards and other gizmos, should put our levelers under both tires, especially with the torsion axle suspension.

My 2 cents.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle