Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2015, 02:51 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Bilcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia PA
Posts: 385
Level a TT with 2 axles.

I see videos of various leveling block installation. Some show putting the leveling block under just 1axle. Can this damage the axle by putting the weight of one side of the trailer all on one axle? Same scenario for changing a flat tire on a double axle TT.
__________________

__________________
Bill & Cindy McKenna
Philadelphia PA
2015 Palomino Puma 32DBKS
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:01 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 7,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilcin View Post
I see videos of various leveling block installation. Some show putting the leveling block under just 1axle. Can this damage the axle by putting the weight of one side of the trailer all on one axle? Same scenario for changing a flat tire on a double axle TT.
If I need to block the wheels to level, I do both wheels not just one, unless you have 1 in a whole and need to bring that tire up. But that has never happened yet. You would want to spread the load on both axles not just one. At least that is the way I do it. I raise the whole side.
__________________

__________________
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:33 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
RPAspey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: central PA
Posts: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
If I need to block the wheels to level, I do both wheels not just one, unless you have 1 in a whole and need to bring that tire up. But that has never happened yet. You would want to spread the load on both axles not just one. At least that is the way I do it. I raise the whole side.
X2..don't stress the tires/axles.
__________________
2000 Cherokee 29BH with 6V batteries, LED lights & 400 watts of solar power, flipped axles and raised. 2007 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB with lots of mods. C-co, 8/158th AVN Maint.
RPAspey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 05:04 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Bilcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia PA
Posts: 385
Thanks for the replies, I had the same thoughts.
__________________
Bill & Cindy McKenna
Philadelphia PA
2015 Palomino Puma 32DBKS
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:53 PM   #5
Swift2
 
Swift 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Concord
Posts: 150
Leveling trailer. I have a six point leveling system on my 320 RS. When I park the trailer I make sure the trailer is level by looking at the level on the front of the trailer. I then block up under the jacks to make sure they only have to travel about an inch before they make contact. From that point I hit the auto level. Each time when the trailer has finished leveling it self, at least one or two of the tires are off the ground. Is this normal? I was under the impression that the leveling system should not be used to lift the tires off the ground. Does anyone have ideas why the tires are being lifted off of the ground? Does this happen to you? Any suggestions?
__________________
Swift 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 01:02 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 7,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift 2 View Post
Leveling trailer. I have a six point leveling system on my 320 RS. When I park the trailer I make sure the trailer is level by looking at the level on the front of the trailer. I then block up under the jacks to make sure they only have to travel about an inch before they make contact. From that point I hit the auto level. Each time when the trailer has finished leveling it self, at least one or two of the tires are off the ground. Is this normal? I was under the impression that the leveling system should not be used to lift the tires off the ground. Does anyone have ideas why the tires are being lifted off of the ground? Does this happen to you? Any suggestions?
Is it level when the wheels come off the ground? If it is then block your tires while they are up and hit relevel. What you are calling level and the electronic eye could be different. How much are the tires off the ground? It could be the side to side that is not level. Not the front to back.
__________________
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:22 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: East Texas
Posts: 55
We have the 4 point auto level on our 5er. What I have noticed is if the front is much higher than the back, which is most times (tall truck), it will lower the front as much as possible then raise the back. We have had the tires off the grounda few times but now that I figured out part of the problem I make sure to leave a gap under the front legs when I drop the front legs to have more travel to lower the front end when leveling. I know ours are rated at 5K each (20K total) and was told by the dealer at PDI/ walk thru that if the tires did come up it was not a problem. Was also told not to use them to raise 1 side to change a tire. Not sure if this rambling helps or not but I have experienced the same things you're talking about.
__________________
Steven & Tiffany
2015 Crusader 296BHS
2013 Chevy 2500HD LTZ CC Z71

Camp as often as we can
Steven379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:59 PM   #8
Swift2
 
Swift 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Concord
Posts: 150
The leveling is checked by a couple of bubble levels mounted on the side and front of the trailer. They are level when leveled by the auto level system. The tires are off the ground only an inch or so. I'll try to lower the front jacks some next time I get the trailer back form CW. Getting the wheels aligned this week. Should get it back this week.
__________________
Swift 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:24 AM   #9
AKA: 'tiredTeacher
 
awellis3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift 2 View Post
Leveling trailer. I have a six point leveling system on my 320 RS.
I believe the OP has a trailer with stabilizers, not levelers. We're beginning to talk apples and oranges.
Auto leveling is capable of lifting the weight of the unit. The rear levelers are close to the axles, take most of the weight and can lift the tires off the ground.
We who must level with boards and other gizmos, should put our levelers under both tires, especially with the torsion axle suspension.

My 2 cents.
__________________

__________________
Wright and Penny
(with Fitz and Lizzie, the camping kitties)
Richmond, Va.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
axle

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:55 AM.