Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #1

Leveling question

I've been looking at leveling blocks and was wondering what others think of them? I see them at Camping World and Walmart and have just tried to guess how many would be needed for a leveling ops.
hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I have always used 2x6's or 8's but had some lynx levelers given to me .
I like them but only on a hard surface . They'll sink in grass without a plywood backer.
You need a minimum of 2 boxes .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:13 PM   #3

They work well if you have a 2 x 8 or 10 under the wheels as a solid base. They quickly sink in the ground if nothing is used underneath. Light as opposed to blocks of wood. I like mine and it's easy to roll up on my 2 x 10's and if I need one wheel up or both then I can roll ahead and the Mrs. Can put what is required
Old 06-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #4

We have one box. Mostly stay in RV parks and usually side to side level isn't an issue and they are rarely used.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
They work well if you have a 2 x 8 or 10 under the wheels as a solid base. They quickly sink in the ground if nothing is used underneath. Light as opposed to blocks of wood. I like mine and it's easy to roll up on my 2 x 10's and if I need one wheel up or both then I can roll ahead and the Mrs. Can put what is required
I used 2 sets of 2x10's under my 32 bhok-6 and broke them both in half .
2x8's are almost not wide enough.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #6
Site Team

love my Lynx Levelers, lightweight and easy to clean compared to wood blocks.

we have just one bag and we've never needed more.
the CW version seem to be a good item but the Lynx seem lighter.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
love my Lynx Levelers, lightweight and easy to clean compared to wood blocks.

we have just one bag and we've never needed more.
the CW version seem to be a good item but the Lynx seem lighter.
Do you use your lynx levelers for the stabs ? If so do you use toppers ?

my tires are so big and spaced I use one bag for the tires alone .
Old 06-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

They are lighter than wood, because they are hollow, therefore they sink if not sitting on wood. Spend your money on some 2x6 boards, and carry those. You should never need more than three on one side in any campground. Besides, almost impossible to get the trailer on three, unless you step them, (make a ramp).
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Have two bags of them and seldom use them. If we are on soft ground, I bought a 10' composite deck board and cut it into 2-5' pcs and use those and the blocks if needed. The blocks are a PITA to clean if you use them in dirt. I nix the wooden blocks as they are PITA to clean also. I have 4 left out of about 10 we carried. Just got tired of the mess they left.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #10

A few camping trips ago I was parked on a blacktop surface. I checked for everything being level...fore and aft was good. The back was good...so I thought okay. I didn't need that much on the right front maybe a 1/2 inch or so. I cranked the stab just a little...when I got home I went and got me a piece of decking to use the next time and cut an angle on it. I was thinking, dangerous sometimes, I am going to get me a piece of chalk to use to mark where my wheels need to be so I can put my board down. Most of the time I do this by myself. I do have a bag of lynch levellers. I also have some 2x6 boards that I use under my stabilizers when parking on dirt or gravel. I have some real nice painted boards that I use when camping in a respectable area.
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:55 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark and Linda
A few camping trips ago I was parked on a blacktop surface. I checked for everything being level...fore and aft was good. The back was good...so I thought okay. I didn't need that much on the right front maybe a 1/2 inch or so. I cranked the stab just a little...when I got home I went and got me a piece of decking to use the next time and cut an angle on it. I was thinking, dangerous sometimes, I am going to get me a piece of chalk to use to mark where my wheels need to be so I can put my board down. Most of the time I do this by myself. I do have a bag of lynch levellers. I also have some 2x6 boards that I use under my stabilizers when parking on dirt or gravel. I have some real nice painted boards that I use when camping in a respectable area.
Another thing to do is if you need a board under tires .
Before you move trailer to put blocking down slide the board next to tires then pull trailer ahead and slide board into tire path then put a chock at the end of the board.
Then when u back up board is in place an chock will let you know when to stop.
Try it once.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #12
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Check out this link....

RV Leveling Blocks Built for Indestructibility

we purchased a rubber horse stall mat and cut it into strips... little heavy keep them in a big bag... work really well. They do not break down,can get wet, don't crush... they don't rot...don't slip... can cut them to fit your needs...work really really well.

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #13

I have two slides on one side of my 30WRKSS. I always place one level of those 1/2 inch under the tires during set-up. this will cause the camper to be higher on the slide side prior to extending. Due to the added weight on the slide side the unit will be level (side to side) approx 99% of the time when the slides are extended. Another item to consider these for is in the event of a flat tire. I have stacked them three high and pulled the good tire up on the stack causing the deflated tire to lift. This is a easy way to jack the unit up if needed.
brw549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #14
Site Team

I have 2 sets of leveling blocks. (8 per set) I'm usually parked on pretty level paved pads so I haven't had a big need to level out except for one place. I use the blocks for the stab jacks. I like the concept of using wood but the plastic blocks are lighter for me to handle and takes up less space in my limited storage area.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:17 AM   #15
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by brw549 View Post
Another item to consider these for is in the event of a flat tire. I have stacked them three high and pulled the good tire up on the stack causing the deflated tire to lift. This is a easy way to jack the unit up if needed.
Caution doing this. This is how the previous owner flattened out and ruined the leaf spring of my 5er resulting in a badly worn tire from axle misalignement. All of half the trailer weight being put on one spring instead of two springs is not good.

Like others said, I use 2x8 pieces of wood. Affordable and expendable.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:48 AM   #16

I have two sets of those Lego looking blocks (10 ea). They work well for me so far. They are faded from being in the sun but they still work. In the event they break down though I think I might try the mat idea. That looks pretty cool although a little work to get them. I've also seen a few use air bags which seem to work very well too.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:58 AM   #17

Two packs of Lynx blocks and matching wheel chocks. Easy to carry, lightweight, easy to use. Cheapest price at Walmart. Been using them for years with TT and now C.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:08 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

OP,
I have two sets of the Lynx Levelers and really like them compared to the boards I used to carry.

As for how many you need, I only once used both sets on a very uneven spot while dry camping. One set works well for any electrical site in our state parks.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:08 AM   #19

We have two bags of the Lynx blocks, they get used more often to level the Picnic table then the 5th wheel . But to level the TT on soft ground you do need to have a board under them or they sink.
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:36 AM   #20

I have 2 sets of the Lynx levelers and wouldn't be without them. I also carry some pieces of 2 x 6 for using under my stabilizer jacks. For one spot I camp frequently I have a 3 tiered ramp built from 2 x 8 lumber.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote