Old 07-08-2015, 12:17 PM   #1

Leveling Scissor Jacks

My TT has cheap scissor stabilizing jacks (factory installed) and I am looking to replace them with more sturdy leveling jacks for stability and the ability to get an inch or so of leveling ability out of new jacks. For those who have these type of jacks, either that you have installed or came with your unit, what band have you used that work well for you?

I have looked at a set of 24" BALs and 24" Huskys thus far. Any experience with these two brands and their quality?

Central Ohio
thetanu539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:34 PM   #2

You never want to level the trail with the jacks (no matter how strong they are) the trailer frame is not strong enough. You will end up bending your frame if you try and level with jacks.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:39 PM   #3

HV,

Yes, I am not looking to get any more than an inch or inch and a half, tires still on the ground. Primarily I want something more stable than the cheapos that are on it now. I do use blocks and a ramp for serious leveling but sometimes even one block is too much. It is cases like this I want to be able to level it out ever so slightly.
Central Ohio
Old 07-08-2015, 03:45 PM   #4

Even an inch or inch and a half is an issue. Doors will stick, windows won't open. Those stabilizers and frames are designed for little upward pressure. Just a kiss on the ground plus a couple of twists. You can easily over crank, even by hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 07-08-2015, 03:57 PM   #5

I guess I have been lucky then. I have used additional stabilizers (screw jacks) to accomplish this for about four years on two different units. I tend put two or three on each side down the frame and have not yet had an issue. Actually has made the TT pretty stable.

I will mention again I am more looking for better stabilization from the jacks. The factory installed ones are super cheap and wobble. This is another reason I put 4 - 6 additional stabilizers down the frame. I would love to cut that in half or to zero if I can find better jacks to stabilize.
Central Ohio
Old 07-08-2015, 04:16 PM   #6

If the motion you are trying to remove is side to side motion of the jack I wounder if something like JT strong arms might help http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...iler-kit/69725

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:32 PM   #7

That looks like a pretty solid system...now I just need to find it on sale!
Central Ohio
Old 07-08-2015, 04:35 PM   #8
Fulltime family RVer

The SteadyFast system is cheaper than the JT Strong. And some handy folks have made them on their own.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:11 PM   #9

I got a pair of scissor jacks from an auto wrecking yard for less than $20.00. They had never been used and with the two included handles, I cut one to fit a 18V electric drill. I found the best vehicles for these were GM vans. Most wrecks in the yard had never used their tire jacks. The first pair I had installed were purchased from a RV dealer for $100.00 plus labour at the welding shop. The welding shop suggested the auto wreckers for scissor jacks. Having electric jacks was awesome.

A-Frame Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:42 AM   #10

It is my understanding that the stabilizers are not to take the weight of the trailer, only to reduce the motion. The ones that came on my Wildcat has a label that states not to level with them that they can't take the weight.

Tags
jacks, leveling