Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2014, 09:08 PM   #1

levelling a.parked 5th wheel

I have read threads on levelling with tow veh. but alas i have none and other than awaiting the local camping dwaler to come out with rheir big whopping truck, is there a way to SAFELY level her? She is great front to back but side to side she could use another 2x8 under one side. ANY help is appreciated. Thank you in advance. Diana
Old 05-12-2014, 09:19 PM   #2

You could jack it up as if changing a tire, and put the 2x under one tire, move jack to the other tire and repeat.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirsea View Post
You could jack it up as if changing a tire, and put the 2x under one tire, move jack to the other tire and repeat.
Yep, exactly how I'd do it.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:34 PM   #4

I hate to sound like a girl...oh wait i am...but im scared yep i admit... if i 1. pull the slides in...2. pull up back stabilizers then 3. Pull up front ones that she willl tip.onto her nose....i cant believe i said that out loudly.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:36 PM   #5

Iam DETERMINED to conquer this fear as.i will be living.in her and. sure i will have to.do this periodically.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:38 PM   #6
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Some settling may occur. Leveling side to side is a normal check. I like to use the fridge as a reference point. Refrigerators should be level for proper and extended operation. Sliding a 1X8 or 2X8 under the low side maybe required. A good bottle jack will do the trick. Just put the jack under the frame, a flat section near the tire. A good bottle jack (20 ton) store's easily. And, it has the needed height. After deciding on what size of blocks to use, make sure you got the other side blocked and or locked prior to jacking.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:43 PM   #7

She is on 2x10s and yes chocked. long.term goal is putting the 10x10 deck close, and eventually putting a roof over w/ 3 or so ft crawlspace/workspace room
Old 05-12-2014, 09:51 PM   #8

Pulling the slides in isn't necessary.

Raise the rear stabilizers a few inches off the ground.

Place jack under axle at the U bolts if a tube axle. The U bolt is the brightly colored bit that looks like a big U.

If it's a torsion setup, place the jack under the frame near the tire. In the photo, see the piece of metal the hoses are tied to? That, just under the frame rail is where you put the jack.

Take wood under the trailer with you, once the tire clears enough to slip the wood under the tire, slip it under and let the tire down. Repeat for the other tire on the same side.

Check the level, add another as necessary.

Now, there's nothing to be worried about. Since you're not removing the tires even if the jack slips the trailer isn't going to fall on you. Don't be careless, but there's not much to worry about either.

Finally, put your stabilizers down and you're set.

If you don't want to, it shouldn't be hard to find someone that can do it for you.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:02 PM   #9

So i dont need to pull the front stabilizers up then? And thank you SOOOOMUCH!!!!! Living in the "boonies" alone, chasing loose cows and horses thru the 900 acres of swamp behind me at 1am doesnt bother me but yeah i admit this first levelling does so thank you so much foor all of the help yall have given me. What a wonderfull group this is.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:20 PM   #10

If it's hydraulic, it will balance out easily. I'm not sure how the mechanical stab jacks work, but I believe there's some play in them that allows for side to side.

Don't worry, you'll be fine.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:21 PM   #11

This is one time I LOVE being wrong!!! I ran to the barn this morning to get the 4 ft level, string level and a pan i use to feed the chickens in ( i was going to put water ad green food dye so i can clearly see the water in the pan and set on the floor). ....only to find she was already pretty level when the stick on bubble i was going by on the back, fell off into the grass.....uh yeah that COULD have been the causeof too much worry. However i did pull the back stabilizers up and place wood under so i feel brave hehehehe . Thank you so much for all of the instruction!!!!!
Old 05-13-2014, 02:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by paws4god View Post
However i did pull the back stabilizers up and place wood under so i feel brave hehehehe . Thank you so much for all of the instruction!!!!!
First, welcome to the forums! As you have found out, lots of helpful folks here!

I am curious, what have you currently got your rig on? Is it just ground/gravel?

If your 5er is going to stay at this site long term, you may want to pour a level concrete pad. Once the pad is ready, move the rig on it and consider putting it on blocks, remove the wheels and store them. This would have the added benefit of virtually eliminating any motion when you are inside your rig.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:13 PM   #13

BamaBob, Yes i will be living in her. Right now she is on treated 2x10s with the same under stabilizers but my long term goal is to have her on concrete with a roof built over. She will be movedin a few months about 6 meters to the east so in the meantime i have time to prep the site.

Tags
5th wheel, wheel