Old 05-23-2014, 05:40 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

I also lost my sister very unexpectedly just before her 33rd birthday of a common cold leaving a 5 yr old daughter. Talk about having a difficult time explaining that to a 5 yr old.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:52 PM   #12

My Wife had a aneurism 6 years ago. It was very bad 67 days in ICU. She is doing real good now but it slowed our Camping and other activities down. I thank God every day we have together and enjoy it when we do go camping. Count your Blessings and live like there is no tomorrow. I pray that everyone has a good weekend.
GOD BLESS

Old 05-23-2014, 06:01 PM   #13
NELA

http://www.thenewsstar.com/article/20140521/SPORTS/305200016/Caddo-Parish-Louisiana-coroner-rules-that-Zwolle-coach-TJ-McCall-died-of-aneurysm-stroke-at-age-35

There seems to be a huge increase in aneurisms.

One of my nieces (aged 20 at the time) had an aneurism when she was 8 mos. pregnant. Baby survived and she was a quadriplegic for the next 8 years before she passed away.

Then my ex SIL had an aneurism at age 30, she's a paraplegic. Both in the same family, BTW.

I lost a secretary a few years back, to an aneurism. Docs had found it while testing to find the reason for her debilitating headaches. She didn't make it through the surgery.

I've lost two more friends in the last 10 years to aneurisms...both way too young to die.

DH and I often talked about "what we're going to do when we retire". Much of that centered around RVing/traveling. After being forced to face our morality thru the deaths of so many friends and relatives we decided to do what we kept "planning to do" NOW!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:05 PM   #14

I attended a memorial service this afternoon for a friend that died of heart disease this past Tuesday. He was 54.

Carpe Diem.

hud
Old 05-23-2014, 06:05 PM   #15
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
Stories such as these are why I retired at 62 even though my income is less than if I worked longer.

We had a girl in our high school class die from undetected diabetes a few days before our graduation. That was a tough introduction to the post-high school world.

My dad retired at 55. Like so many who were born, or were very young during the depression, MONEY was a driving force in his life.

He and Mom never took advantage of his early retirement by traveling, etc. I recall only 2 trips they took. Mom passed away in 2005 and since then Dad has just set down and apparently in doing so his health is nose diving.

I just shake my head when I think how they wasted their best years because they didn't want to spend their money. Soon it'll be left for the kids to fight over.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:34 PM   #16

I'm 55 and DH 62, we are both retiring at the end of this year! Life is short and we have 10 or so good years to see the USA in our Wildcat. If I leave my kid nothing I've lived my life well. Sorry son!
Old 05-24-2014, 10:35 AM   #17

One reason we bought a trailer now and not in ten years when I retire is that we lost someone who waited and waited to retire. I used to talk to her about all the trips she would take "once she retired". She ended up retiring only after she became sick and died shortly thereafter. I learned either to find time to have fun while you are working or retire asap.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:26 AM   #18
Site Team

I worked in the ICU for most of my career so I learned early on how precious life is. One that always stick with me was a 40 yr old woman who had a massive stroke getting an eye lift. She did not survive and left behind a family with a young child. That taught me no surgery is minor.

My condolences to his family and friends. I hope his wife has a good support system to get her through this tragedy. Also, hopefully the doctors told her that cerebral aneurysms do run in families so siblings and children should be checked for them. Cerebral aneurysms are no joke, less than 50% of those who rupture outside the hospital even make it to the hospital before passing. Of the ones that make it to the hospital, maybe half survive. The numbers are staggering for those who have them rupture. It is best to find them ahead of time if you have any family history of them.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:59 AM   #19
Oklahoma Proud

Great thread!!
I lost my father just days before his 31st birthday. I was about 2.5 and he was a huge part of my life.
I feel blessed to have out lived him by 2 years now! It definitely gives you a different perspective.
I want to spend as much time as I can with my kids now while they are still young. When they are 18 and out of the house, my boss can have me all he wants.
Time is priceless, and time spent with your kids will never be regretted!
That's why we camp!!

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
Old 05-24-2014, 12:59 PM   #20
Infractee

Indeed, I have never heard of somebody wishing they had spent more time at work while they lay on their death bed...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forest River Forums mobile app