Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2011, 11:09 AM   #1

Light go bright then dim???

While plugged into campground 30amp this weekend I noticed the lights would get a little brighter then go back to the way they were. Comments please?
Old 04-11-2011, 11:17 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

A voltage regulator might be in order.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #3

Talke to me more about a voltage regulator, also i was connected thru a surge protector. Thanks
Old 04-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Hmmm, I am not sure if high voltage is regulated by a surge protector. Others will have to chime in there.

There could be an appliance that is cycling on and off giving you light fluctuation....depends on how severely they are brightening and dimming.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:49 PM   #5

"depends on how severely they are brightening and dimming. "

Just enough to notice it happening. When I just tried to pull the surge protector and the HM plug apart it was a little tough, with what looks like a tiny burn spot on both at one of the plugs.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:56 PM   #6

Hi jaxfl. How's your battery/batteries?? I had this happen on mine at Hanna Park, and I checked the battery when I got home, and found it low on water- too low! Tried to save it, but to no avail, and had to get a new battery. And YES, I know you were on shore power. The batteries still supply most all of the power to the camper anyway, EXCEPT for the AC, WH on shore power, and the outlets and microwave. It goes thru the converter ie/battery and charging system, then to all the 12v stuff in your rig, like the lights that you mentioned, the radio, on mine, the TV, the power tongue jack, etc. Surging usually means the converter is trying to charge something, and having to work overtime to do so, to overcome a problem. OR....you may have a bad/rusty ground connection. Hope this helps ya! Randy PS I'll be at Hanna memorial day weekend, maybe I'll see ya there!
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:02 PM   #7
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
There could be an appliance that is cycling on and off giving you light fluctuation
That would be my guess, too.

OTOH, the voltage drop might have occurred externally to your trailer. See if you still have the problem when you plug in at another campground.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08flagvlite View Post
Hi jaxfl. How's your battery/batteries?? I had this happen on mine at Hanna Park, and I checked the battery when I got home, and found it low on water- too low! Tried to save it, but to no avail, and had to get a new battery. And YES, I know you were on shore power. The batteries still supply most all of the power to the camper anyway, EXCEPT for the AC, WH on shore power, and the outlets and microwave. It goes thru the converter ie/battery and charging system, then to all the 12v stuff in your rig, like the lights that you mentioned, the radio, on mine, the TV, the power tongue jack, etc. Surging usually means the converter is trying to charge something, and having to work overtime to do so, to overcome a problem. OR....you may have a bad/rusty ground connection. Hope this helps ya! Randy PS I'll be at Hanna memorial day weekend, maybe I'll see ya there!

Thanks for the response. We have plans to be at Stephan Foster with the Northeast Florida Camping Club if all goes well. I will check the batter.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #9
Site Team

Can you hear the fan in the converter running?
If you can't, pull the front off and see if somethings blocking it.
No fan will cause the converter to limit itself because of heat and cause the symptoms you're seeing.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:11 PM   #10

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
What type of Surge protector are you using ?? And a Voltage Regulator Or Autoreformer will boost the voltage if it drops below 92 or 93 volts. They are pricey but worth the expense if you consider the cost of replacing (A/C,TV's). Also there are big differences in Surge Protectors also,Thats why I was asking what model you have, you also get what you pay for in surge protection. The Surge protector I have is Progressive Industries EMS-PT30 and The Booster is the 30amp. VC-30 from Power Master. Well worth the money. Kind of like Insurance for the electrical system. With all these high tech toys that are voltage sensitive we have in or take with us camping now days its nice to have protection. Because brown-outs can do damage.
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote