Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2017, 07:19 AM   #1
New Camper

Lights above the bed are too bright!

How do you remove the light to replace the bulb on my new Rockwood Fifth wheel? Want to see about replacing the bulbs above the bed with lower watts. If that can't be done then I guess I need to consider options to cover them with some type of material that will dim them some. Way to bright to lay in bed and read! Any suggestions?
garypayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran RV Owner

I too have had problems with the overhead lights in the bedroom being too bright. www.rvupgradestore.com has some options to consider under

RV Lighting > Interior Lights
Old 07-08-2017, 07:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran RV Owner

Campingworld.com has a dimmable double LED light fixture at

White Dimmable LED Double Euro Fixture with Clear Optic Lens - Husky 51702 - Light Fixtures - Camping World
Old 07-08-2017, 07:59 AM   #4
Senior Veteran RV Owner

On amazon.com, I found this light, which I like even better!

https://www.amazon.com/Obeaming-Read...ht+dimmable+RV
Old 07-08-2017, 10:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by amullis View Post
I too have had problems with the overhead lights in the bedroom being too bright. www.rvupgradestore.com has some options to consider under

RV Lighting > Interior Lights
Really like this idea but why would they not sell it new with the LED bulb? Just to get more cash? I don't want to pay to downgrade.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 02:15 PM   #6

Overhead light

usually they have two small bulbs in them. Take out one of the bulbs for half the light> It is just right for us.
Coquilleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 02:34 PM   #7
2013 Solera-R

I put a piece of aluminum foil under the light cover. Works like a charm!
hballou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 03:02 PM   #8

Someone on the Forum (sorry, I can't find out who but that works great) bought this on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Lerway-Contro...Y6VQGBKGBWZPKJ
bgagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:30 PM   #9

I just leave the light off and use dimmable puck lights that we bought from Costco.
2012 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
2021 Ford F-250 Super Duty
OscarsMom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:36 PM   #10

The bulbs typically used in the fixtures are wedge base bulbs, and may be found in several wattages as landscape light fixture bulbs at home Depot, Lowe's, etc. If you really want to cut back, consider an automotive marker light or dash lamp, #194. It fits the socket, and while it delivers a "white" light, it isn't very bright. You can also buy various LED replacement lamps to fit the same sockets, fairly cheaply on eBay.
Photo Lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:04 PM   #11

While reading these posts, it reminded me that I tried to take the lens off my ceiling lights and couldn't get them off (the double ones with clear lenses). On my old TT you just squeezed the lenses and they came off. These, I was afraid to squeeze any harder for fear of breaking them and wasn't sure if the clip edges ran lengthwise or across the ends. Help as to the trick of getting these off would be appreciated. Thanks gang.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 12:55 AM   #12

Coffee filters work great! One, two, three depending how much light you want. You can even color them with crayons/colored pencils. Use sticky tacky to secure them.
CYAH OUT THERE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 02:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfChuck View Post
While reading these posts, it reminded me that I tried to take the lens off my ceiling lights and couldn't get them off (the double ones with clear lenses). On my old TT you just squeezed the lenses and they came off. These, I was afraid to squeeze any harder for fear of breaking them and wasn't sure if the clip edges ran lengthwise or across the ends. Help as to the trick of getting these off would be appreciated. Thanks gang.
I've never had to take the covers off, yet, but from what I read on here they un-screw. Thanks for reminding me; as soon as I get home I'm going to try it.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:53 AM   #14

Black pen

I used a black felt tip pen. Color the led and wipe off the excess with a paper towel. Keep doing that until you reach a desired light level. Check it at night before you go too dark. Once you get too dark it will be hard to go back.
Bryan V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdst51 View Post
I've never had to take the covers off, yet, but from what I read on here they un-screw. Thanks for reminding me; as soon as I get home I'm going to try it.
Let me know how you make out. Mine are "square" (really more oblong, but, not round) and don't look like they unscrew. Thanks
Old 07-09-2017, 09:18 AM   #16

Angry

On my 2016 Sierra 5th wheel the ceiling light covers unscrew. The two over the bed you just use a screwdriver or knife blade and they just pop off.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:33 AM   #17

I bought a set of 4 battery powered small stick on lights. mounted over the bed. you can use one or all of the lights. these work great
gickes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:28 AM   #18

I have had a set of these battery powered ones in the kids bunks for over a year. They are cheap and can be dimmed or brightened just by touching them.
https://www.amazon.com/OxyLED-N05-Br...yLED%C2%AE+N05
265bhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 12:33 PM   #19

Thanks, WilliamG. I'm going to try the screwdriver method and see if it works. My lights have a few of those foam bits in them from bouncing down the road. Just need to empty the lenses and put them back on.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:37 PM   #20

I wanted to keep the light to be able to see when I want to. I bought a couple of cute mini lamps, one for each nightstand. I just put them in the closets when we travel.

Teri
tstanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, light