Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 04:47 PM   #1
Miserable

lino split

I have a difficult time with manufacturers who use half measures and their customers pay for it. my 2007 surveyor has lino cracked everywhere, we had ONE night of bitter cold.forest river!! If you can't make a trailer that can withstand a canadian winter don't take canadians hard earned dollars.I will not be buying a forest river product again, and will do my utmost to dissuade others from doing so.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:22 PM   #2

forest river does not make the flooring...why are you blaming them? as for your decision not to buy forest river products again,that's your choice,but i think a lot of other people in the market for a trailer can make their own decision.sorry you are having such a bad experience with something you should really be enjoying.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:44 PM   #3
Grape Escape

Turn the heat off in your house the next time it gets below 0 degrees f for a week and see what damage is done. Have had 3 Forest River products and no linolium cracks yet,
Could happen to any brand of trailer.
It would just give me an excuse to install laminate flooring
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
Old 02-23-2010, 06:03 PM   #4
Miserable

what I am saying is this: my trailer is barely 3 years old, paid well over $20,000, for it, neither congoleum nor forest river admits there is any problem. congoleum says it was an installation error, that the lino should have been glued to the floor, not just tacked down on the corners. why in the world would I reccommend this company to my fellow canadians? Maybe where you come from it is toasty in the winter but in the vast majoriy of my country it gets bloody cold in the winter. I have had several people tell me that r.v's manufactured in the U.S. have this problem, so why do they continue to sell them in canada. I stand by my original statement. I would NOT reccommend this company until they change there installation practices for trailers destined for canada. And yes, I will be installing laminate, the point is, I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO!!!
Old 02-23-2010, 06:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafwit View Post
what I am saying is this: my trailer is barely 3 years old, paid well over $20,000, for it, neither congoleum nor forest river admits there is any problem. congoleum says it was an installation error, that the lino should have been glued to the floor, not just tacked down on the corners. why in the world would I reccommend this company to my fellow canadians? Maybe where you come from it is toasty in the winter but in the vast majoriy of my country it gets bloody cold in the winter. I have had several people tell me that r.v's manufactured in the U.S. have this problem, so why do they continue to sell them in canada. I stand by my original statement. I would NOT reccommend this company until they change there installation practices for trailers destined for canada. And yes, I will be installing laminate, the point is, I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO!!!
Tell me hafwit, who would you recommend then? I have had experience with Winnebago, Fleetwood and Forest River. I have friends that own many other brands and the ALL lay down the linoleum in the same way. FR is no different than the others.

I also don't know what sympathy you hope to gain by coming to a forum group of HAPPY Forest River owners and start bad mouthing them.

Dezolen is right, turn the heat off in your house and see what happens to all your building materials.

Your inablility to take care of your rig correctly is not FRs fault. I think you would be better suited for RV.NET forums, why don't you go over there and cry.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 02-23-2010, 06:25 PM   #6
Miserable

so, "my inability to properly take care of my rv is my fault." what would you have me do???store it in a heated shed? Put it in a freezer as soon as I buy it so that when it splits I still am under warrantee. you're darn right I will badmouth forest river. when you make an inferior product you get badmouthed. so please tell me what I should have done to insure my lino didn't crack? I am dying to know.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:26 PM   #7

Thousands of RV owners are forced to have their RV in cold storage in the winter. It is financially impossible for most to heat their RV year around in colder climates.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:50 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Hate to tell you this, put 99% of the RV mfg do it the same way.

You just happen to have a Forest River right now. Keystone does it, Carriage does it, Coachmen does it, need I go on???
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
Old 02-23-2010, 06:56 PM   #9
Grape Escape

We too live in a cold climate where temps go far below 0 and have luckily never had this problem. It is unfortunate that you have and I can sympathise with you. Most of us store our rv's all winter with no heat. I have seen some postings in regards to this problem and do not think it is strictly a FR problem. Personally I think either the floor underlay or the flooring material has expanded or contracted too much to cause this failure. Who knows maybe a bad run of linoleum which did not have proper chemical balance??
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
Old 02-23-2010, 08:43 PM   #10

I suggest checking into an Arctic Fox. Try this Manufacture, but you will pay, or have a custom camper built for your area. One can not expect too much or complain If It is not custom. As it was mention before just about all campers are built the same there are not for extreme cold or heat. The material that they are built with will expand and contract and cause staples, glue and most other compoenets to come apart and leave gaps. I am sorry to the hear about your problems and we all have had them. There are some members here that have spent more then $20,000 on there rigs and they have problems and it is all hard earn money so join the club.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:40 PM   #11

I don't believe some of the above comments are in the spirit of mutual respect and courtesy normally present in this forum's post. I respectfully request all the responses after the 4th reply be removed and we treat each others comments with respect. If you cannot - don't bother posting. This forum is a safe place to vent some steam and relieve frustration. If you must accuse people of "crying" and resorting to name calling like "halfbrain", you should return to the main menu and consider more constructive diversions. I find a post or two that I consider very basic or perhaps even stupid, annoying, and already covered in depth. I just move on. Someone's post is never to be taken personally or to be viewed as any kind of assault. YOUR response should preserve the community nature of this forum or I will find another online resource to support financially.

Seriously.

Thank You.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopuppy View Post
I don't believe some of the above comments are in the spirit of mutual respect and courtesy normally present in this forum's post. I respectfully request all the responses after the 4th reply be removed and we treat each others comments with respect. If you cannot - don't bother posting. This forum is a safe place to vent some steam and relieve frustration. If you must accuse people of "crying" and resorting to name calling like "halfbrain", you should return to the main menu and consider more constructive diversions. I find a post or two that I consider very basic or perhaps even stupid, annoying, and already covered in depth. I just move on. Someone's post is never to be taken personally or to be viewed as any kind of assault. YOUR response should preserve the community nature of this forum or I will find another online resource to support financially.

Seriously.

Thank You.
Well lets recap the entire thread shall we?

1. Hafwit hates Forest River
2. Hafwit will never buy another Forest River Product
3. Hafwit has nothing good to say about FR
4. Hafwit has no help to offer here but rather seems to have joined this group for the sole purpose of telling us all how crappy FR is.

So I ask you is that in the spirit that this forum is meant? I have seen to many forums and guys like this that go through all the hassle to join only to be a complainer and not offer anything to the group.

I maintain this is not the "I hate Forest River Forum Group" And there is NO room for THAT here. I see nothing of redeeming value in his 3 posts here.

If Hafwit actually had something to contribute here he should have, rather than start off his membership here by bashing Forest River and telling us all he will in essence not be A Forest River owner. What's the point?

I maintain that Hafwit should start his own web site called, ohhh I don't know, Forestriversucks.com so that he can complain all he wants and quit his pissing and moaning here.

Sorry to all but I tend to call it as I see it. I'm tired of seeing guys like Hafwit destroy forums when their only presents seems to be to complain...

That's the last I have to say on the subject.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 02-23-2010, 10:08 PM   #13

Quote:
so, "my inability to properly take care of my rv is my fault." what would you have me do???store it in a heated shed? Put it in a freezer as soon as I buy it so that when it splits I still am under warrantee. you're darn right I will badmouth forest river. when you make an inferior product you get badmouthed. so please tell me what I should have done to insure my lino didn't crack? I am dying to know.
Hmm I have not had any problems with mine. I can not explain why you have a problem and i hope it can be resolved. On a lighter side, how did you like the Hockey Game??
Old 02-23-2010, 10:36 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I suggest you buy a Toyota, they say they don't have a problem either. The rest of the world is anxiously awaiting their response tomorrow. Will Forrest River or Congoleum admit fault? Of course not, not until forced to do so by the courts or even higher, CONGRESS. To admit fault is to take responsibility, and have to pay for your repairs.
You mentioned Congoleum said floor should be glued down. Did you contact them with pics, or did you read that somewhere else? A few years ago flooring manufacturers made a floor they called edge glue, that was only glued on the edges, and shrunk over time to get a nice fitting floor. Problem was, the floor often split, even in houses. Another post claimed a lot of manufacturers only staple edges, doesn't mean it's the correct way to go just because everybody does it. Forrest river built it true, but just like your house, if the shingles split on the roof, who's fault is it? The contractor, the roofer, or the shingle manufacture?
In these tough economic times, nobody is going to admit fault until forced. Toyota is after all the Largest Auto Manufacturer in the world. You bought a camper, and they require maintenance, upkeep, and repairs, GET OVER IT! Enough said.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
Old 02-23-2010, 11:32 PM   #15

HalfWit.
How did you like the Hockey game???
Old 02-24-2010, 11:03 AM   #16

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by dichayer View Post
HalfWit.
How did you like the Hockey game???
It's not over yet !!!
...VTX-AL
Old 02-24-2010, 11:17 AM   #17

A few winters ago, a dealership here in town had to replace over half of their new trailers lino due to cracking. They are not Forest River. My boss has yet another brand of trailer and guess what they found when they opened up their new trailer a few weeks ago... cracked lino. Which makes me think we should go and check our FR trailer which is parked right beside my boss's unit. Cross our fingers, we don't have cracked lino. Three completely different brands of trailers...
It's an unfortunate thing to happen but I do believe any brand of trailer can have this problem happen.

Giselle
Southern Alberta, CANADA
Old 02-24-2010, 11:43 AM   #18

This guys point is valid, if we are going to sell in Canada, we should know the market needs. $20 grand is not peanuts and I do not believe it is rocket science to lay flooring or use a type of flooring suitable for the Canadian climate. I just purchased a Forest River 5th wheel and I had screws coming out of the valances and wood door frame. I live in southern California.

The RV industry does not do as good a job as they can. They have a bad reputation and it appears they earned it. I do not believe Forest River is as bad as the writer suggests, but I understand his anger. Forest River should be all over this guy to fix the problem.

Big Bird
Old 02-24-2010, 11:50 AM   #19

I agree with Turbopuppy and request that the responses after the fourth be removed.

Sorry to hear of your problem halfwit. I do not think name calling has a place on this site. We are hear to share, offer advise, and help others (at least I know that it was I am here for).

I do have to say that I have not been without problems as well but Forest River has been there for me. Camping World could not adjust my slide out properly and my trailer was shipped back to Forest River from WA to have the slide cut out made proper at Forest Rivers request. At the plant they also fixed many other problems before sending it back. Than last year a couple of months after the warranty was up I noticed that the roof had a couple of bubbles on it. Forest River had me take it to Camping World to be inspected to find a couple of air bubbles in the caulking had popped during the winter allowing water to come in. Forest River replaced the roof which would have cost me $6,000.00. They could have said no as it was off warranty but again they were there for me. They also replaced the TV for me when it was off warranty I think because of all the other problems I had.

Halfwit, I would be installing laminate flooring and start enjoying your trailer. Again, sorry to hear of your problem.

Kind Regards,
Oregoncamper

2013 Camping Days: 22
2012 89 2011 50 2010 61
OregonCamper's Pics click here
Old 02-24-2010, 06:05 PM   #20

I wonder how Bigfoot does it. They are back in business now, they are made in Canada and are considered "all-weather" campers. I have a friend with a 21-footer, and it is nicer than any Airstream I've ever been in -- and just about as expensive. But they are nice units made for Canadian weather.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
Closed Thread