Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2014, 10:56 AM   #1

Lippert Company

A word of warning to everyone. I was going to Goshen to get a 4 pt ground control system 3.0 installed by Lippert. I called and they told me that they would install it for the rally special price of $2546.00 plus tax and labor $400.00. I asked if it came with the 2 remotes 1 that plugs in and 1 battery. They said no that would cost an extra $575.00. Sent me the bid. I then saw CW advertisement saying they would beat anyones price on anything. I called CW. CW asked for my bid price be sent to them. I did that. They called back and said they will install the the system for .10 cents more $2546.10. I asked the cost of labor they said that I qualify for $ 149.00 installation, being a Good Sams Deluxe Member. I asked about the remotes, they said they will come with the system. This has nothing to do with Forest River, they are great. This is private through there supplier. Once again it has nothing to do with FR. Sometimes you think your getting a deal then all of a sudden you feel like your being taken. So CW will get my money for the exact same system made by lippert.... To CW.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:27 AM   #2

Buyer beware !!! I always say “ shop around before you purchase”. I have seen at R.V. shows, the word SALE, on items, and have bought it much cheaper ( know your prices).
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:30 AM   #3

I just got a price from lippert to add a 4 point system to my 365 saq and it was $3350 plus $800 labor. This is the hydrolic level up system. Taking it to IN install. Is your electric??
chiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiro View Post
I just got a price from lippert to add a 4 point system to my 365 saq and it was $3350 plus $800 labor. This is the hydrolic level up system. Taking it to IN install. Is your electric??
Yes mine is electric. I didn't want to go with hydraulic do to the big change and and all the problems with leaks and o rings. Each ram is rated at 5000 lbs. My unit weight is a little over 9000 lbs total. I will still keep the rear Stabilization system on there now and just put it down after it levels. So it will really turn out to be 6 point. Last year they were about the same around $4000.00 installed for hydraulic. This is there new elecrtic system, they claim it is 4x's faster then any competitor. Labor for the rally should be $50.00 per hr not $100.00 i would call them. Good luck

Old 05-15-2014, 01:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiro View Post
By the way lippert gave me a price of $4000.00 for the hydraulic level up is what she called it. Said that was the rally price. and asked which one I wanted installed.... I remember last year when I was going to go with the hydraulic 6 pt and that was $4000.00. If I remember right. I know that RV Chick on her big toy hauler XLR and I think she got it for the same $4000.00. You might want to shoot her a PM and ask about it. Hopes this helps, good luck. They first quoted me a 100.00 per hr for labor, after I questioned why it wasn't 50.00 like last year she changed it.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:25 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Buyer beware !!! I always say “ shop around before you purchase”. I have seen at R.V. shows, the word SALE, on items, and have bought it much cheaper ( know your prices).
"Sale" does not have to mean cheaper. It just means it's "for sale" at this price. I only ever trust "Discounted" or "Reduced" as meaning the price is actually lower. Even then, I don't trust it as being the lowest.

I've caught a few companies that advertise a 'Sale' price that is equal to (and sometimes above) their everyday price. I find Best Buy (at least here on the Cdn side of the border) does that a lot. Puts items in their flyers, but just lists the regular price.

Real Estate does it too. Last time we were looking for a house I was watching quite a few properties on the MLS. There was one that put out a "New Price" sticker on their sign, so I headed over to the MLS to see what they marked it down to, thinking it might now be within budget. The price had gone up about 15%.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
"Sale" does not have to mean cheaper. It just means it's "for sale" at this price. I only ever trust "Discounted" or "Reduced" as meaning the price is actually lower. Even then, I don't trust it as being the lowest.

I've caught a few companies that advertise a 'Sale' price that is equal to (and sometimes above) their everyday price. I find Best Buy (at least here on the Cdn side of the border) does that a lot. Puts items in their flyers, but just lists the regular price.

Real Estate does it too. Last time we were looking for a house I was watching quite a few properties on the MLS. There was one that put out a "New Price" sticker on their sign, so I headed over to the MLS to see what they marked it down to, thinking it might now be within budget. The price had gone up about 15%.
You are correct IMO, but Lippert said that these where Rally Show special pricing. What they did to me was take out the remotes from there package to lower the price. Remotes come with the unit even from Mobil outfitters who is there company that's install lipperts components all over the US. Regular price any day is $3214.29 with the remotes. That's how they got the rally price down/ no remotes with the system....

Old 05-15-2014, 03:02 PM   #8

Thanks for the heads up gljurczyk!!

I was thinking about getting the electric system as well. Time to call CW
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:27 PM   #9

OK, this is just my personal opinion. I’ve been a member of various RV forums for many years and I’ve read too many horror stories about shoddy or incompetent work done by CW. Regardless of cost, if I were having that system installed it would only be by Lippert.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:16 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
OK, this is just my personal opinion. I’ve been a member of various RV forums for many years and I’ve read too many horror stories about shoddy or incompetent work done by CW. Regardless of cost, if I were having that system installed it would only be by Lippert.
On this one, I would go with CW and watch them very closely. As for Lippert and their less that stellar sales pitch and shenanigans of charging extra for remotes that come with the kits, I would steer clear of Lippert entirely. JMO
Old 05-15-2014, 06:32 PM   #11
ARLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
i wouldn't give Lippert the right time of day. Still suffering with the Lippert suicide steps that were installed on my Flagstaff TT.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
On this one, I would go with CW and watch them very closely. As for Lippert and their less that stellar sales pitch and shenanigans of charging extra for remotes that come with the kits, I would steer clear of Lippert entirely. JMO
Yep!!

I also found that Tweetys sells the kit for $2495 shipped to your door. I think I would go that route. I am in the process of making sure it is the version 3.0.

I am capable of installing myself but might have a buddy do the welding as I am not as good as he is. Then again I might as well weld the brackets to a 1/4" or 3/8" plate and then bolt them to the frame members. What do you think OC?
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:43 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynkage View Post
Yep!!

I also found that Tweetys sells the kit for $2495 shipped to your door. I think I would go that route. I am in the process of making sure it is the version 3.0.

I am capable of installing myself but might have a buddy do the welding as I am not as good as he is. Then again I might as well weld the brackets to a 1/4" or 3/8" plate and then bolt them to the frame members. What do you think OC?
Have no idea what the kit looks like or what it entails to mount.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I agree stay away from these people...
Gee Whiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:22 PM   #15

Before we all get to crazy, I have to make sure CW and Lippert are talking the same thing. The video and the description do not match from CW. I will let you know tomorrow what I can find out. I want a fully auto system which the video shows. I have an email in to them right now. Will let everyone know ASAP. The hang up here is the board that CW has. I can't tell until I talk to them but they new it was Ground Control 3.0. CW item # is 56761. CW sent a email saying "It is made by Lippert and uses the same components". Mobile Outfitters is the supplier. An arm of Lipperts. either way CW has to match the price or beat it other then that it's false advertising. by the way lynkage it is a bolt on system. 5000 lbs per leg so it would support a 20,000 lb trailer.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:59 PM   #16

Okay after 2 days of dealing with just plain stupid people I have everything under contract. I will be using lippert at the rally the appointment is set for 8/5. After I questioned CW today they said that the system was automatic with remote as there video showed for that product. They gave me a number at lippert and said call them that's who it was made from. I did that today and talked to Brian in the service dept. Gave him the SKU# he looked it up and told me that is not made by them but Rieco titan. Gave me the # and person to talk to. Titan has confirmed that it was there product but lippert sells it only for them and CW. I asked if it was one button auto level with a remote. He said no it was manual and to add the auto level feature it would be a $1000.00 more. So I called CW again, this is after about 10 emails and a deposit that I put down and said you have the wrong video with your advertisement in CW. I then got back a hold of LCI, The service writer told me that with the ground control 3.0 electric. She said that it has no remote nor could I use my Jt's any more. I looked it back up on the web site and YouTube and it showed a control panel and a remote that was new and optional. I sent that to lippert. Now Lippert has come back to me with an invoice, which states what I'm going to get. The remote first was offered to me for $573.00. Then they said they didn't have it.
After they seen the picture of it that I sent they gave it to me for 203.00. Which is fine, I suggest that anyone who is dealing with a vendor get it in writing for a 4 point electric system which my JT's will hook to after I was told they couldn't. Today they said that the can use them on a electric system but not on the hydraulic systems. Between CW and them for 2 day's I been having to prove everything. But it is all done now. Also CW should be a shame of themselves for showing how the system works that is not the same system at all. These are all service or cust service people who know nothing about there products. The $400.00 install rate is for 8 hrs. anything less will be subtracted at $50.00 per hr. instead of the norm of $100.00 for the rally. I hope this helps someone do not believe everything you hear or see at CW or anyone. Also make sure you know what you are talking about to a vendor. Once again this has no refection on Forest River at all. I'm thankful to them for having this rally and getting vendors involved. Who they have no control over by the way. It is still a great deal by Lippert after all is done. Lippert did come through after all.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:29 PM   #17

Previous experience with Lippert would make them my last choice for anything. The power tongue jack on our 2012 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 8319SS failed one month out of warranty. A small gear broke in two and you could see where the flaw was. They wouldn't even sell me a new part, I had to buy a new jack. I bought a new jack from Barker, made in USA, two year warranty and you can buy parts for it. I just don't trust Lippert for anything.
Rodney-the-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:14 PM   #18

Bought mine from Mobil Outfitters and installed it myself. Took me about 10 hours, maybe three of that was running and securing the wire. No welding required, a bolt on system and so far works great. $2495 delivered, 10 hours spread over a couple of days wasn't bad. The wireless remote and the wired keypad both come with the kit.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by presley01 View Post
Bought mine from Mobil Outfitters and installed it myself. Took me about 10 hours, maybe three of that was running and securing the wire. No welding required, a bolt on system and so far works great. $2495 delivered, 10 hours spread over a couple of days wasn't bad. The wireless remote and the wired keypad both come with the kit.
If I was still a young buck, I would have done it myself, That day is long gone. Did you get the 3.0 or the 2.0 ? The reason now is I have to make things easier for me or I would have quit camping which I do not want to do yet. I'm glad to hear it works great. If something happens to the frame such as twisting it is on them they installed it not me with the auto level. Did mobil outfitters sell you the rico system or the lippert ground control 3 which counts revolutions.....

Old 05-29-2014, 08:38 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
If I was still a young buck, I would have done it myself, That day is long gone. Did you get the 3.0 or the 2.0 ? The reason now is I have to make things easier for me or I would have quit camping which I do not want to do yet. I'm glad to hear it works great. If something happens to the frame such as twisting it is on them they installed it not me with the auto level. Did mobil outfitters sell you the rico system or the lippert ground control 3 which counts revolutions.....
Yes it's the Rico system. There are pictures in my album
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote