Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2019, 04:31 AM   #1

Living in the 5er while house gets rennovated

We've been living in the 5er on the drive way for the last two weeks, we pulled all the carpet out and are having porcelain wood look tile installed.

Other then having to replace water pump (check valve was stuck) 5er is working out good.

I had a 50 amp outlet installed on my shop, Buddy of mine charge me $100.

mzodarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:10 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzodarg View Post
We've been living in the 5er on the drive way for the last two weeks, we pulled all the carpet out and are having porcelain wood look tile installed.

Other then having to replace water pump (check valve was stuck) 5er is working out good.

I had a 50 amp outlet installed on my shop, Buddy of mine charge me $100.

If the 50 amp breaker is on the top right of that panel, DO NOT plug you RV into it!. 50 amp RV is 2 hots, 1 neutral, and 1 ground. 240 volts. He has use only 3 wires. Black and white are wired as hots. White is supposed to be neutral. You need anothere black or a red. You have no neutral to your RV! That set up would be fine for a welder or a compressor, but not for your RV. Also the are no romex connectors in the holes where the wires enter the box. I'll repeat, DO NOT plug your RV into that outlet.

I don't understand why your EMS didn't alert you to this problem unless you have not turned on the breaker with it plugged in.

I love that floor. Best of both worlds.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:03 AM   #3

I think that is the inside sub panel, but you are correct on the way it should be wired. I think that is his EMS hanging there on the outside box will that stop the power if is wired incorrectly? I don't know just a question might be a saver there.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:27 AM   #4

Use of some box connectors to protect the cables/wires as they leave/enter the sub panel would be nice to see(required by code). If anything ever happens inspectors look for missing things like that as possible causes of fires. There are some that can be installed after the wire has been installed.

The white wire used on the second left of the two pole breaker with two small pieces of black tape should be completely covered with tape or use of some marker to identify it as not being used as a neutral. I am only guessing but suspect that breaker is feeding outlet to the lower left of sub-panel, which should be installed into a proper junction box.

Not sure which breaker, maybe not from this sub-panel, is feeding outside RV outlet but none of the wires on the single pole breakers are rated for 30 amp so a little bit concerning.

Would suggest having wiring inspected by second qualified electrician to ensure all is safe and in order.

Just my 2 cents but your safety and all who live there are at risk.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:31 AM   #5
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Sure hope your buddy knows that RV 50amp different than a house set up. Hope you check it out first before trying. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
I think that is the inside sub panel, but you are correct on the way it should be wired. I think that is his EMS hanging there on the outside box will that stop the power if is wired incorrectly? I don't know just a question might be a saver there.
Yes, if it is wired as I think it is the EMS will not let it work. BUT It should have indicated miswiring if he turned on the breaker.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Yes, if it is wired as I think it is the EMS will not let it work. BUT It should have indicated miswiring if he turned on the breaker.
Okay thanks, I thought it would.

Old 04-21-2019, 06:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian-chris View Post
Use of some box connectors to protect the cables/wires as they leave/enter the sub panel would be nice to see(required by code). If anything ever happens inspectors look for missing things like that as possible causes of fires. There are some that can be installed after the wire has been installed.

The white wire used on the second left of the two pole breaker with two small pieces of black tape should be completely covered with tape or use of some marker to identify it as not being used as a neutral. I am only guessing but suspect that breaker is feeding outlet to the lower left of sub-panel, which should be installed into a proper junction box.

Not sure which breaker, maybe not from this sub-panel, is feeding outside RV outlet but none of the wires on the single pole breakers are rated for 30 amp so a little bit concerning.

Would suggest having wiring inspected by second qualified electrician to ensure all is safe and in order.

Just my 2 cents but your safety and all who live there are at risk.
OP stated that he paid $100.00 for his buddy to install a 50 amp circuit for the RV. I can only assume that the rubber cord is #8 as it is hard to tell in the picture. 1st per code since 2006 you cannot reidentify anything #8 and below. Yes this is a sub panel wired correctly although sloppily. With the neutral being used as a hot wire tells me the guy used 8/3 so or sjo or some such (3 wires) rubber cord to feed a 4 wire outlet!

Now, on the other hand if it is #10 on a 50 amp breaker, it is unsafe just for that reason also. If it is 30 amp it is VERY unsafe as it has 240 volts applied to the 120 volt outlet.! Again the EMS should catch all of this. There simply is no neutral in either case. Ems says 50 amp. I am CORNFUSED

The outlet on the lower left is a 3 wire dryer outlet in a single gang box. The cover is not on it. In my 45 years I never tried to stuff #10 wire into a single gang box with such a big outlet. That would be a 2 gang if I did it. I'll eat the extra $2.00 dollars to make this easier for me.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:09 PM   #9

I have no functional idea what you guys are talking about BUT respect and appreciate you are doing so for those who (think they) do. Another reason I love this forum.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:16 PM   #10
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Next time your water pump's check valve fails, don't replace the pump.

Just get a $10 Camco brass check valve (Camping World or Walmart) and install it.

I paid $13 for mine out in the middle of Nowhere, New Mexico.

Better repair...much cheaper and easier to do...and will probably last as long as the camper does.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WaterpumpCheckValve-P4161994.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	202365  
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Sifter View Post
I have no functional idea what you guys are talking about BUT respect and appreciate you are doing so for those who (think they) do. Another reason I love this forum.
Yes, the big thing they think they do, but it's everyone looking out for you a good thing, take the good and throw out the bad.

Old 04-21-2019, 03:08 PM   #12

I see one thing wrong with how it is wired. The wire cable that was used has only 2 wires in it + ground. The black wire and the white wire with black tape on it indicating that white wire is used as a powered wire for 220 volts. This is legal but some electrical inspectors don't like it. What is wrong is that he is using the green ground wire as a common/neutral back to neutral and as a ground. This is illegal and should be fixed. They need to be seperate to prevent a hot skin on the trailer. Common wire should be for bring power back to the power panel neutral bar. Green wire is not to used to carry power as it is a safety wire to take any stray power back to the panel ground.

Will this work yes but it is very dangerous and illegal.

A 3 wire cable + ground should have been used to wire this plug for 220/110 volts.

Hope This Helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:05 PM   #13

Why do all you weekend electricians keep saying that RV electric 50amp is different than house electric? The 50amp RV outlet is the same as an electric oven outlet. I have wired many RV pedestals and repaired even more when I can't get the pedestal replacement outlets we use a flush mounted range outlet.

Flooring looks great.
merlinhomeauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinhomeauto View Post
Why do all you weekend electricians keep saying that RV electric 50amp is different than house electric? The 50amp RV outlet is the same as an electric oven outlet. I have wired many RV pedestals and repaired even more when I can't get the pedestal replacement outlets we use a flush mounted range outlet.

Flooring looks great.
This statement is 100% correct as long as you are using a 4 wire circuit. RV is 120/240 50 amp delivered to the RV main breaker. That is where the 240 stops unless we are in a high dollar mega land yacht.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:05 PM   #15

Beautiful floor!

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:51 PM   #16

Be sure to seal the case on your EMS. I have the same unit and it filled up with water during a rain storm the first time I used it. Progressive replaced it OK. I took the case of the second one apart and used silicone to seal it on the top and sides. I drilled a couple of small drain holes in the bottom so water can't collect inside the case. The water runs down the cord and through the top seal on the cord. I'm sure filling with water does it no good.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:02 PM   #17

I want to see how this tile floor looks in a year or two. I haven't seen any yet in RVs (even in high $$$ mhs) that haven't cracked or needed regrouting in a short period of time. But, I have been wrong before
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I want to see how this tile floor looks in a year or two. I haven't seen any yet in RVs (even in high $$$ mhs) that haven't cracked or needed regrouting in a short period of time. But, I have been wrong before
Sorry for the confusion on the breaker box pictures, this wall was all wired prior to my friend doing it. ems shows 125V on l1 and l2 with no errors. campers been plugged in for two weeks with no issues.

50 amp plug is wired with 6 gauge 4 wire. not pictured

Tile is in my house not 5er

Old 04-21-2019, 08:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinhomeauto View Post

Flooring looks great.
exactly what was used, it was a range outlet wired just like it was when I took it out of the house and installed a gas range.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzodarg View Post
Sorry for the confusion on the breaker box pictures, this wall was all wired prior to my friend doing it. ems shows 125V on l1 and l2 with no errors. campers been plugged in for two weeks with no issues.

50 amp plug is wired with 6 gauge 4 wire. not pictured

Tile is in my house not 5er
In the future please post the correct pictures!!

Tags
5er