Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2016, 09:14 PM   #1

Living through Washington winter

I have a Salam lite tt. Need advice on how to prepare it for the winter in eastern washington state. Got new job in Lewiston ID but have to live in polmeroy wash. Can use all the advice you have.
wildtigger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:35 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtigger2 View Post
I have a Salam lite tt. Need advice on how to prepare it for the winter in eastern washington state. Got new job in Lewiston ID but have to live in polmeroy wash. Can use all the advice you have.
Ultralight TTs are not good for cold weather living.
You'll have to do a lot of mods to retain heat.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:19 AM   #3

I realize that but have no real choice until wife finds work and a rental house opens up. Just need advice how to modify it.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:07 PM   #4

WA winter

Having grown up in WA and spent many winters hunting in eastern WA with small trailers, I would recommend to skirt the trailer all the way around with insulated board. Another option would be to also cover some of the windows with insulation board.
Good luck with the transition
Ifightfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:08 AM   #5

Quote:
I realize that but have no real choice until wife finds work and a rental house opens up. Just need advice how to modify it.
Use plastic and seal the ceiling AC vents and AC inlet to prevent loss of heat. I left the bathroom vent unsealed. I also sealed all the windows with plastic that I picked up from Home Depot. Don't remember the exact name, was several years ago, but it came with tape. Just cut plastic to size and taped up on outside. Held great. As stated below skirt around bottom. I used a roll of the black construction fabric type fence that comes with stakes already attached. Lowes or Home Depot has this, about $50.00 for a hundred foot roll. I off set the gas by using a couple of small electric heaters. This was in New Jersey (cold and 2 to 3 ft of snow most of the winter of 2009) in a 5er that was considered four seasons. We stayed pretty warm, but used a lot of gas and electricity. Now we don't have pets or children to worry about knocking over heaters etc, so this worked well for us.

Almost forgot, use a good heat tape on the water line and then add insulation over that. If the TT un under belly is not covered, you may have freezing issues with the Black tank dump valve. May need to wrap that with heat tape and insulation as well.

Good luck.
2021 Sabre 37FBT
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:39 AM   #6

How about a 50 or 100# propane tank or tanks? Running out in the middle of the night would not be fun.

Just a though ... if one puts the ridged foam insulation board around for skirting (taped and sealed nicely), would a few 100 watt incandescent light bulbs be enough of a heat source to keep the underbelly plumbing happy ... or happier?
Old 08-29-2016, 10:07 AM   #7

Sure if you can actually find incandescent bulbs any more. Its going to cost you a fortune to spend a winter there. Think 100 dollars or more a week for propane, 200 dollar a month electric bills, all just to stay above freezing. Frozen water lines, frozen water valve, frozen dump valves! Can you actually find a rv park that will be open all winter?
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 03:47 PM   #8

At trailer park all bills paid. Going to rent big propane tank. Gets above freezing during day only have to worry about nights
Old 08-29-2016, 05:42 PM   #9

Quote:
At trailer park all bills paid. Going to rent big propane tank. Gets above freezing during day only have to worry about nights
It will probably warm up a little most days but not necessarily above freezing. You need to think REALLY cold on that side of the Cascades. I spent a week in Yakima in January several years ago where the high all week was 12 degrees.

Insulate as much as possible as indicated by others. I have seen suggestions of bubble wrap on windows.

The larger propane tank should help a lot. I expect you will go through it like water. My wife was in Arizona this last winter with our Georgetown where overnight temperatures were often below freezing. She was getting our 25 gallon tank filled every two weeks.

Also use electric space heaters and electric blankets if the park allows them.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
washington, winter