Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2016, 03:10 AM   #1

Local dealer says the Georgetown line is being discontinued...?

So I go into a local Puget Sound Washington RV dealer today to look at a new GT 329DS and they told me that the line was being discontinued and that they cannot sell me any of the GTs that are on the lot, they are all going away. However, a diligent search of the Internet finds no mention of this discontinuation.

Is this for real?
CDoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 03:22 AM   #2

Maybe the statement "they are all going away" means the Stealership personal are going to jail for telling people that "Crap"! Youroo! ! Never heard of a Dealer NOT selling a unit that is on the lot!
Old 12-24-2016, 03:25 AM   #3

I know, right? Then they said we can still sell you the FR3s, whole thing sounds weird.
Old 12-24-2016, 05:39 AM   #4
World Wide Wanderer

Maybe the dealer is being discontinued?

Only time I have ever had a dealer not be able to sell me something that was on the lot was because he didn't have the correct paperwork for it. And in one case that didn't even stop them.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 06:03 AM   #5

Maybe they lost their sales agreement for the Georgetown line but still have one for the FR3.

But I think youroo is correct, they're all going to jail
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 01:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Maybe they lost their sales agreement for the Georgetown line but still have one for the FR3.

But I think youroo is correct, they're all going to jail
Find it hard to believe. GT has been a number one best seller for years.
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 03:06 PM   #7

I would guess that the bank doing the floorplan financing was probably in the process of repossessing them. No other reason on earth a dealer won't sell you something he has on his lot. At least if he wants to stay in business. Watch for the going out of business sign but if you buy something there make sure you see the title.
2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 03:09 PM   #8
WFD

I think that dealer's days are numbered!
Old 12-24-2016, 03:22 PM   #9

Rumor has it FR may drop the name GT but not the coach. Rename?
Old 12-24-2016, 09:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDoggy View Post
So I go into a local Puget Sound Washington RV dealer today to look at a new GT 329DS and they told me that the line was being discontinued and that they cannot sell me any of the GTs that are on the lot, they are all going away. However, a diligent search of the Internet finds no mention of this discontinuation.

Is this for real?
Who is it?
Old 12-24-2016, 10:45 PM   #11

Forest River just opened a new plant for Georgetown in Elkhart sometime this fall. Not likely that the Georgetown line is going anywhere. My guess is the dealer is going to lose the Georgetown franchise or close the dealership altogether.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 12:33 AM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to chuckw5kav
I as well would like to know who the dealer is

Lots of RV Dealers in Tacoma and thinking about it
maybe Camping World might sell them but last time
I was there in Tacoma I didn't see anything in the
way of the Coachman band of trailers but I did see
some Forest River Trailers, don't remember I there
was any Georgetown's ......

I'm sure if you want to order a new Coachmen,
Georgetown or any other band from Forest River
they wouldn't turn you down.

However Talking to a number of repair people
over the past few years about trailer repair
I been told that Camping World is the training
ground for new RV mechanics, some good
and some really bad Ugh.....
W5KAV
Last years Camping 125 days
This years Camping 150 an still going
chuckw5kav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 12:38 AM   #13

My dealer told me, over a year ago, that they would no longer be selling the Georgetown line of RVs. When I asked them why, the answer I got was: "We want to carry additional lines of RVs and we don't have room on the lot to keep everything we currently sell so we decided to drop the Georgetown line from what we sell."

In addition to this, they also closed down their storage facilities for customers who bought RVs from them. That space is also being used for additional new units. One benefit of this is that they no longer will be storing my RV for 2-3 months and waiting until just before I need to take it out to get to requested repairs. With no long term storage available, scheduled repair work tends to get done within a few days.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 02:17 AM   #14

Poulsbo RV in Auburn told me that
Old 12-26-2016, 02:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Poulsbo RV in Auburn told me that
Just wondered. I went to high school with the guy that was the original owner. Funny that they moved out of Poulsbo years ago.

I wonder what the other stores might have to say about discontinuing that brand. Did you call to any of them?
Old 12-26-2016, 08:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvdixie View Post
I would guess that the bank doing the floorplan financing was probably in the process of repossessing them. No other reason on earth a dealer won't sell you something he has on his lot. At least if he wants to stay in business. Watch for the going out of business sign but if you buy something there make sure you see the title.

I think Richard nailed it! I once was sold a brand new motorcycle by a dealer that, unknown to me, was going out of business. After the normal time of waiting the title & plates from the DOT I starting calling the dealer to see what was going on. No answer of course. Ended up taking me 2 months and lawyer fees to finally get my title and plates. I would not like to deal with a situation like mine with something as expensive as a RV. RUN FORREST,RUN!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:37 PM   #17

UPDATE, GT is marked "Dealer Stock Only" on FR website

So in trying to figure out the "Georgetown product line is going away" story, I noted that the Georgetown product line on the Forest River website is the only product line that is marked (under Floorplans) as "DEALER STOCK ONLY" which would tend to confirm the story, right?

My call into Forest River has not been returned, do not know what is up with that, are they just slow/unresponsive normally?
Old 01-18-2017, 05:38 PM   #18

Quote:
So in trying to figure out the "Georgetown product line is going away" story, I noted that the Georgetown product line on the Forest River website is the only product line that is marked (under Floorplans) as "DEALER STOCK ONLY" which would tend to confirm the story, right?

My call into Forest River has not been returned, do not know what is up with that, are they just slow/unresponsive normally?
Sounds like you may be onto something. If it is indeed the case they are not going to advertise it or go out of the way to disclose it. It's no different than when they discontinue a floorplan or model. It makes it more difficult to move the remaining stock. There are probably hundreds sitting at dealers all over the country. It's a piss poor way to do business and borderline on being dishonest IMO, but it has been done that way forever. That way they can still attempt to get top dollar. When car manufacturers make a model change they announce it way in advance and then at a certain time if many of the prior models are left, they discount them. It's not the RV Industry. But then again maybe they are just doing a complete change. I doubt it because discontinued floorplans are usually shown on the websites as dealer stock only alongside the new plans.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forest River Forums mobile app
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:36 PM   #19

Funny, but I also noticed the "Dealer Stock Only" and it made little sense. Now it makes total sense. You can only get these coaches if they are already in stock at a dealer.

It looks like they have replaced the Georgetown line with the all new Georgetown 5 Series.

Glad that I have my 335DS as I have never seen that layout in another coach. Their is an Xl version, but I really wouldn't want two bathrooms and all of the extra cost that goes with the XL.

With the 5 series it would be way too many models to support and sell.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:03 AM   #20

Wow, the plot thickens! I did not know about the new GT5 line, but like you said, if the plain GT is going away, a replacement makes sense.

Tags
dealer, georgetown