Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2013, 07:42 PM   #1

Long distance purchase second thoughts

My wife and I narrowed our TT choice down to a model that Forest River just recently discontinued. None of the dealers within easy driving range of home seemed willing to work with us either on special ordering or price. We found a dealer 1000 miles away who got the factory to agree to build the model we want, at a good price and included delivery to our house. Now I am wondering about possible warranty hassles, and also thinking maybe we should drive up to take delivery from the dealer to make sure everything is OK. Any thoughts?
SuwanneeDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'd recommend that you pick it up and spend a few days camping nearby and check to make sure that everything is to your satisfaction before heading home. Does the dealer offer any sort of service network for warranty work?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:43 AM   #3

Thanks. I am thinking of picking it up. Don't know about a service nerwork or what it is.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

If it's a large internet dealer, they frequently have a service network set up should you need repairs and returning it to the selling dealer isn't practical.

You need to clearly hear from them about a procedure to follow on any warranty repairs.

Dave

Old 01-16-2013, 09:25 AM   #5

I would pick it up ...

And as for service, RV dealers are usually reluctant to service RVs not purchased from them. They either out right refuse to service or put you as a low priority customer which might mean you wait months to get anything done.

Are you buying from a wholesaler/direct place or just a normal dealer ?
Old 01-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomph View Post
I would pick it up ...

And as for service, RV dealers are usually reluctant to service RVs not purchased from them. They either out right refuse to service or put you as a low priority customer which might mean you wait months to get anything done.

Are you buying from a wholesaler/direct place or just a normal dealer ?
That sure doesnt say much for the integrity of rv dealers or the industry as a whole.
It is a regular dealer.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuwanneeDave View Post
That sure doesnt say much for the integrity of rv dealers or the industry as a whole.
It is a regular dealer.
Unfortunately it's not like the auto industry when it comes to warranty work.

Dave

Old 01-16-2013, 11:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
I'd recommend that you pick it up and spend a few days camping nearby and check to make sure that everything is to your satisfaction before heading home. Does the dealer offer any sort of service network for warranty work?

Dave
That is what we did at RVW. We did a 6 hour PDI at the dealer and then drove a few miles to Indian Lake State Park. Took 2 nights to fully test everything in the trailer. RVW even made a camp visit to help another couple who were having an issue with their new trailer. In our case, we discovered that the furnace ducts were not producing heat. We stopped by on our way out of town and had the furnace knock out panel removed.

It worked well for us and let us camp our way from Ohio to Mississippi.
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
daydreaming about camping

I completely agree with Dave, and yes, it does not say much about the integrity of the industry.

At this point, I think you might want to re-evaluate this plan as well for the following, how much factory support can there really be on a discontinued model? I have read several threads about people who have had dealers send their unit back to the factory. Presumably that model, still in production, will simply be put back through the assembly line to correct whatever issues (delamination for example) are there.

I would be hesitant to take the last example of a discontinued model as I would expect the factory will want to orphan it.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #10

One thing that sticks out to me. The fact that one dealer was able to get the factory produce a discontinued model. The RV factories produces models in batches and the cost to change models must be pretty big. How is this dealer getting this done, and a decent price including home delivery. Are you sure this will be a brand new unit and not one they have had sitting in their lot for some time, or a rental unit ? They might hope that they will go clean it up, spruce it up a bit and then sell it to you at a new unit price, and if you do not wise up, they get away with it.

Just playing the devil's advocate here. Getting the factory to produce one unit of a discontinued model triggered an alarm for me, especially at a good price.

Just food for thought ....
Old 01-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #11

The discontinued model is the Flagstaff Micro Lite 21FB. They are still making other 21 models so I don't think it would be too difficult to make the changes needed for the FB. I am putting a lot of trust in the dealer but I have had a good vibe in talking to him over the phone.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:49 AM   #12
Site Team

have you looked to see if they still make the Rockwood twin of this trailer?

personally, i wouldn't worry about it not being produced anymore.
Flagstaff and FR are still in business, it's built with the same materials the others are, the appliances are warrantied by the their manufacturer.
i almost bought a Roo floorplan that had been discontinued. only because they came out with a better one, did we change our mind. if the 23SS hadn't come along, we would have bought the discontinued model and not worried at all.

and we bought ours from a dealer 2000 miles away.
never had any issues finding a dealer near us to do the warranty work, with FR's assistance.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:23 AM   #13

My 2012 Forest River Work and Play 30WRS that we bought last February. We could not take delivery for a week till they ordered and repaired all the things we found during the PDI inspection. After all of our first 4 week long trips we had to bring it back in for warranty repairs and they averaged 2 to 3 weeks each time. They replaced the cooling system in the refrigerator, twice for leaking slide out seals and adjustment, replaced the back garage screen door, they drilled though the side walls and then had to repair and repaint the exterior, refrigerator fan, replaced the Jensen DVD/stereo, TV cables, A/C fan, just to name a few of the major items etc. We bought it at RV America in Ocala, Fl about 80 miles away.So far about six or seven trips back and forth how. Do the math. Buy from a local dealer cause your going to become best of friends.
jamesroadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #14

Sorry you had so many problems but if I thought every trailer would have that many problems I would not even consider buying one.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #15

I purchased out of town (rvw) and have no regrets with our rockwood 2109. I have had 2 minor issues (tv and stereo) an both we're handled appropriately. My local dealers come and go, rvw will be there for a long time.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:39 PM   #16

We purchased our Salem 26TBUD out of town. At the end of this past season, we noticed a slide seal leak. I called the local dealer and told them the problem and that the TT was still under warranty. (we purchased the extended) He asked if we purchased the unit from him, I said no and would that be a problem. He responed no problem. The repair was done in about two weeks and cost us $0.
So here I am telling a good story about Lime Lake RV in Delevan, NY. I am sure there was a time when dealers could be snobby about who they service, but those days are done. This forum (and others like it) are a wealth of knowledge and word travels fast, dealers can't afford to discriminate just because you found a better deal somewhere else.
t.simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #17

Purchased our 5er from a dealer (Grumbine's RV) in PA and while we are traveling back to have some warranty work, we already have a local Cedar Creek dealer that will do any future warranty work should the need arise.
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #18

We also ordered the discontinued 21FB. Ours is due in around the first part of February. Luckily, our local dealer was able to get the order in before the cutoff date. You are correct, very similar to the other 21 models only without the slide out.
acsimon is offline   Reply With Quote