Old 09-29-2015, 12:11 PM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I personally like driving at night. My wife & kids will sleep and I can listen to the radio in peace and/or just reflect on the day's or week's events. Naturally I do this only on trips we've made before and have seen the sights along the way.
X2

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "27 nights"

Old 09-30-2015, 06:53 AM   #22

I stay away from truck stops when I'm hooked up to camper. I can find diesel cheaper at Murphy fuel stations. I have a 100gl tank that is a convenience for me on long trips. Now I take the roads less traveled, I only take the Interstate for short trips

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:13 PM   #23
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I stay away from truck stops when I'm hooked up to camper. I can find diesel cheaper at Murphy fuel stations. I have a 100gl tank that is a convenience for me on long trips. Now I take the roads less traveled, I only take the Interstate for short trips

Granted, you can find fuel cheaper, but when you're pulling 42' behind a 22' truck and you're 13'5" tall, I'll pay the extra .05 a gal for the convenience of a truck stop.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:14 PM   #24
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Granted, you can find fuel cheaper, but when you're pulling 42' behind a 22' truck and you're 13'5" tall, I'll pay the extra .05 a gal for the convenience of a truck stop.
spock can correct me if I'm wrong, but I read it that with his 100g tank, he's able to fill up without the camper attached at his leisure and at cheaper prices.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:53 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
spock can correct me if I'm wrong, but I read it that with his 100g tank, he's able to fill up without the camper attached at his leisure and at cheaper prices.
I don't have a long trailer, mine is 23.5', but with a quad cab with 8 ' box towing a travel trailer, those city gas stations aren't RV friendly. I've already gotten a bent jack from it. It is one of the many reasons I prefer hwy stations and RV friendly ones.
Days camped in 2015, 0 Days so far (0)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:39 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

Yes I can go for 2 days without stopping for fuel and when I fill up the camper is at the campground. I use a credit card that I get 5% off the price of diesel. My camper is 36ft long and truck is a long bed 3500. At truck stops I don't get the 5% off if I use the truck lane, I have to swipe the card

Old 10-02-2015, 07:41 AM   #27

We estimate an average of 50 mph for a daily total of 250-300 miles per day. We use the Good Sam app & directory, the KOA directory and The Next Exit directory is invaluable in showing which fuel stations can accommodate (fit) an rv. We generally stop about every two hours to stretch our legs, refreshments (hot coffee) and bathroom. We prefer Flying J/Pilot for good fuel prices (and GS and Flying J discounts) and can accommodate all our needs in one stop. We avoid convoy travel for different driving styles/speeds/roadside interests an instead prefer agreed stops down the road or at our final destination which can be easily adjusted via cell phone. These are our experiences and they work well for us (this year NEPA to Death Valley 7500 miles and NEPA to Alaska 13,000 miles). Good luck, relax and enjoy!

2015 Silverado gas ext cab 2500
2014 Flagstaff 8528IKWS
Old 10-02-2015, 07:52 AM   #28
Site Team

Your biggest stressor maybe trying to "run in a pack." Or, trying to keep up with each other. Pulling the river requires constant attention, and trying to keep up with other vehicles can be distracting and stressful. At least in my opinion and experience. Easier to let passengers communicate by phone or walkie talkies about fuel stops, rest stops, etc. Enjoy your trip and don't load everything you could possibly need. There are walmarts, Lowe's, home depots, and others all along the way. There's even a Walmart app for your smart phone. Lots of good suggestions above.
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:04 AM   #29

Me and DW will start out on March 1 2016 and the plan we have is no plan. I plan on driving about 300 miles a day and then stay 3 days and start again. That's the plan, just have fun.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:42 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Your biggest stressor maybe trying to "run in a pack." Or, trying to keep up with each other. Pulling the river requires constant attention, and trying to keep up with other vehicles can be distracting and stressful. At least in my opinion and experience. Easier to let passengers communicate by phone or walkie talkies about fuel stops, rest stops, etc. Enjoy your trip and don't load everything you could possibly need. There are walmarts, Lowe's, home depots, and others all along the way. There's even a Walmart app for your smart phone. Lots of good suggestions above.
Very good advice! Some folks need to stop more often than others - and once you reach a "certain age" it's best to stop every hour or so, get out and walk around. When we travel with others, we check in with mile marker numbers, when and where rest, meal, fuel stops. Then we all meet at designated campground for the night. Works well.

In addition, a stash of cash. We have found some roadside assistance companies don't take credit cards or checks when on the side of the road () and quite a few smaller campgrounds are cash only.