Old 08-14-2015, 03:51 PM   #1
long long trip

Hi everyone, my wife and I just returned from a 2 month trip. We bought a 2008 23 foot Salem T.T. and took off from Phx az to Cal. and drove up the Pacific Coast Hwy through Oregon, Washington, Idaho.Montana, Wyoming,Minnesota,Wisconsin,Upper Mich, stopped for a while in lower Mich, then went through Ohio,Illinois,Indiana,Missouri,Kansas,Colorado,New Mexico, and back home to Phx. az. With all the wrong turns(wife navigator) and seeing all the Great National Parks etc.,etc.we ended up putting 10 THOUSAND MILES on our rig. Our 23 foot Salem trailer gave us 0 problems, not even a flat tire...nothing. Everything worked when we bought it and everything still works perfectly. Neil and Maureen (old goat travelers)

old goat travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:08 PM   #2
That is fantastic!

You don't get to hear that too often. Must have been a great trip.

2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8329SS
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 (Sterling) Auto w/built trans, 4X4 Quad Cab 5.9L Cummins
mikemc53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:23 PM   #3
Sounds like a great trip. Time for another.

2015 Ram 3500 CCLB dually
2015 39R12 Vengeance touring edition.
Vengeance touring edition 39R12
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
riznfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:43 PM   #4
Mod free 5er
Good to hear you had a good trouble free trip. You even spell your name correctly.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:33 PM   #5
Wow! That is a trip I can only dream of at this point. Can you tell me what brand of tires you have on your TT? I am really paranoid about the china bombs that came on my trailer. You obviously have pretty good tires to get that many miles in two months with no problems
2015 Cherokee 274DBH
klrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:36 PM   #6
I can hardly wait for my turn, start riding next March the first

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2015 Cedar Creek 32RL
2012 Silverado 3500HD SRW
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:21 AM   #7
The tires on the trailer are TransMaster Trailer radial, ST205/75R15, which are probably China bombs also. But they looked new when we bought the trailer. It said to air up the tires at 50 PSI cold, so that’s all I did besides packing the wheel bearings.
Now in saying that we had no mechanical problems, it does not mean we didn’t have problematic issues. When in Florence, Oregon, I was getting ready to leave but wanted to empty the black and grey water, I connected the hoses, opened the black valve and noticed it was coming out of the ground sewer connection, so I stood on it to hold it down and then it started to leak up at the trailer connection. I yelled at my wife to help and hold the pipe tight at the T.T. end and that’s when the ‘stuff’ hit the fan. Picture her bending over to hold that pipe tight and ‘material’ was coming out, her legs shaking from trying to squat, so she attempted to kneel on one knee, in the sharp rocks, and I had to hold the other end down with my foot. And it was still coming out both ends.
In the meantime, a neighbor named Merle had his lawn chair about 3 feet from the sewer connection and other neighbors start coming over. Merle went into his 5th-wheel and grabbed the kitchen trash can and gave it to my wife. She moved the hose and it filled the can immediately, she panicked and put it back on the T.T. connection. A neighbor took the can away and dumped it into a 4” pipe and you know how that goes… and came back and we filled it up again.. And Merle said, ‘I can do better’. And he went back into his 5th wheel and grabbed his wife’s very large pink , see-thru knitting tote. He had to have dumped her yarn on the floor of their trailer. A neighbor brought a wheel barrel over so he could roll the tote away over to the 4” hole and we filled that up 5 times.
My wife is trying to tell me quietly that she wants something to pick up the larger pieces of ‘material’ that is right in front of her in the rocks because it was very embarrassing. So I brought out some paper towels and gave them to her and then I left her holding that hose… She asked me where I was going and I replied that I was a little busy right now… lol
Park manager came over and he said the whole park sewer system was backed up. We ended up getting our tank completely empty, Park manager cleaned all our hoses. I put them back into our back bumper. The people rinsed out the trashcan and the kitting tote, and handed back to Merle. We never saw his wife, but I am sure Merle saw plenty of her when we left. We pulled out of the park, looked at each other and could not believe what we had just been through. So the trip wasn’t exactly trouble-free of problems… lol. Poor Merle….
old goat travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:56 AM   #8
Yes, I'd say you DID have just a little trouble. LOL. Great story.
2013 Surveyor SP220
2010 Silverado LT 5.3 V8

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 12:18 PM   #9
Sewer issues are always nasty and definitely embarrassing.
I always look down the sewer dump before hooking up and contact park if I see issues. After everything is connected, I run fresh water using the Turbo Flo, this checks the connections, primes the hose to keep things from sticking(maybe, maybe-not but I do it) and also checks the sewer flow. If water pressure is low and I’m not getting enough water I’ll dump 5-10gl of grey water first. This only adds a few moments but keeps me problem free. Just one more step in the camping fun.
Once came into a spot after a disgruntled camper and they had shoved beer cans and garbage down the sewer, good I looked. Watched a lady drop her dogs potty down a sewer, BAG and all(tried to talk to her…)
Camping is fun…
We just did a similar 2 month trip from Cal to Hershey Pennsylvania, playing in Yellowstone, Devil’s Tower, Mississippi River and so many more. We explored the Great Lakes from Niagara Falls to UP Michigan then back home through the Rocky Mountains Nation Park, what a trip.
KLRobert, our tires are Hercules, Power STR and they look as good as when we left
Love being on the road

2011 Wildwood T26BHXL
2004 Yukon XL Denali
43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote