Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #1
Always Learning

Long Overdue Trip Report - Christmas 2012 in Orlando, FL

It's long.. really long, so I'm going to just post a link to the post on my blog:
Christmas Disney 2012 Trip Recap

Longest story shortest, we traveled from Maryland to Florida in one long overnight trip. The and last nights of the trip, we actually stayed in hotels (shocker, I know!).

We went to Disney World, Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios and also hit Universal and SeaWorld.

Most importantly, it didn't cramp our style when it came to a full-fledged Christmas dinner!

Here are some pictures from it:

Old 10-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
Camper Less Camping

Nice

Old 10-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #3

Sounds like you had a blast and thanks for the trip report.

We go down for 2 weeks every year but the past two years we leave right after the new year rather then the week of the holidays. We usually spend a week near St. Augastine and a week at Disney's FW campground. Last year we spent 2 weeks at FW and it did not cost us any more then the week at the beach and week at Disney. We decided to do that again and make it our base camp for the entire stay.

On our run down, we dont try to do it in a single run. We usually hit the road out of the N. VA area around 0800 and stop at the SC/GA boarder for the night. It gets us off the road around 7pm after stops and breaks and more then enough time to get a good nights rest and finish the second half of the leg to either of our favorite locations.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
Always Learning

Our long trip/run down was necessitated by an evening had concert on Tuesday and making it in time for the Merry Mickey Christmas party thing at the Magic Kingdom. At the end of the day, it still took 2 overnights- especially in that we stayed at a hotel the first night because of TT being first come, first served. I'm not sure that we would do it again that way.

We picked the week between Christmas and New Years for the same reason as everyone else- our daughter had off of school that week. I can definitely say that I don't have any urge to go that week again. The crowds got progressively worse as the days went on.

But it was fun. Even being cooped up with the in-laws wasn't so bad.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #5

I understand the timing, and right now none of the other 2 familes (3 RVs total) that I vacation with have any school aged children. So that allowed us to push the vacation start until after the height of the season. But we have had families with school aged kids before and still take the day and a half approach to getting down there. But it sounds like you front loaded your vacation a little tight forcing the long haul.

Lessons learned right? I will say I have stopped at new green acres (exit 53 in SC) and Point South KOA (exit 33 in SC) both are excelent places for a simple overnight and have never had issues of them being full and usually just call when I am within an hour of the location.

This year I am leaving a day behind the rest of the crew due to my nieces sweet 16. The plan is to make it in a single days run, but thats 12.5 hours of clear driving and I figure about 14 or so hours with stops for food, dog walks and at least one stop for fuel (I carry an extra 45gallons in the bed.) So I might make it, or I might just give up, shut down and arrive very early the next morning.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
Always Learning

Yeah, it was a variety of things that caused the long haul. I minded it a lot less than I expected to.

I have a couple of notes about campgrounds. I've even heard decent things about South of the Border's campground- clean and cheap.

I'm thinking the wife and I are getting braver at considering the overnight at a Walmart thing. Just not sure how our timing works out for that. And, I'm having a hard time explaining to her that we can't park the camper and drive off without it to go for food and whatnot. Well, I explain it- she just doesn't hear it!
Old 10-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #7

We stayed at Point South KOA on our way from FLA to the Outer Banks NC. As the OP stated, it was a good stopover point. There was a Hunt's kitchen at the office for pizza and wings WITH a bar...stools, taps and all for cocktails... Diesel was right across the street. I def felt like I shoulda been flying them 'Stars and Bars' in that campground. Big wooden sign something about Gen Rob't E. Lee yada, yada in front of the office. Maybe he stayed there too?
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #8
Always Learning

Good stuff, I'm sure we'll run south again. I'll keep notes.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

We stay 2 wks at TT Orlando and 2 wks @ Fawn Ridge Davenport and go between the two during our stay from 29Nov-15Mar snow birding.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
We stay 2 wks at TT Orlando and 2 wks @ Fawn Ridge Davenport and go between the two during our stay from 29Nov-15Mar snow birding.
Do you have a link to the Fawn Ridge place?
Old 10-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Do you have a link to the Fawn Ridge place?
You buy a deed from another member, not a membership, which entitles you to 2 wks in, 1 week out year round and pay $2/night for electricity. Full hook ups on a paved, level pad & patio. $425/yr maintenance fee.

Fawn Ridge at Deer Creek
Old 10-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #12
Always Learning

Neat, OC. I was just reading some about that.

Tags