Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2017, 04:58 PM   #1

LONG term quality. Alum or fiverglass

So I’m caught in a pickle.

We are ready to buy a new trailer.

I was all dead set on buying a large puma. Features are right, floor plan is perfect, price is right. Build quality.........ummmm well, I’m not sure.

So I could make this post super long but let’s just cut to the chase.

Buy a wood frame alum sided puma for $25,000?

Or go ahead and buy a top end (Jayco Eagle type) fiberglass, alum frame, frameless window ect. for an extra $10,000 but sacrifice on floor plan a little?? (Less worried about floor plan moor wirried about quality)

We are planning on keeping it for 15 years and having 3 kids with us the entire time.

I really don’t wanna spend the extra $$$ but I also don’t wanna still be paying on a Camper that has fallen apart and is trash in 10 years.

Will the puma be quality for 15 years??

I’m looking at
Jayco Eagle or white hawk
Cougar
Flagstaff
Rockwood

HELP!!!
calebj06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:04 PM   #2

I have a small area of delamination on mine, and just 4 years old. Caulking has been inspected yearly but it seems some moisture got in. Maybe I would have been better off with aluminum exterior.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:14 AM   #3
Site Team

We've owned several RV's over the years both aluminum and fiberglass sided. Our present RV is an aluminum sided model. The simple reason is delamination. Every fiberglass sided RV we've owned and a lot of them we see have some delamination. Even if it's a small bubble.

Also, I have the tools and knowledge to repair a damaged piece of aluminum siding even an entire sidewall. I don't have the tools or equipment to repair more than a small damaged area of a fiberglass sidewall.

As for build quality, there's no discernible difference whether they're aluminum or fiberglass. Get the one you like and don't worry about what might happen.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:25 AM   #4

Palomino builds an above average quality RV so don't be afraid of that. I am on my 4th year with the one I have and the only problem I had was a AC failure which was a Dometic problem. Not saying you won't have issues to resolve but chances are good you won't have any. Get the floor plan you like. Just because it has an aluminum frame structure doesn't mean no problems because a poor weld will give you a lot of grief also. 15 years of use will tax the reliability of any RV. It all depends on how well you maintain it and it will require a lot of maintenance. Also, I highly doubt you will keep it for 15 years because your needs and desires for updates will change.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:54 AM   #5

We have owned 2 Pumas over the years and the Quality has been very good. We just traded our 2013 as the DW wanted something else. It has only been back to the dealer for maintenance nothing serious.

As has been mentioned either type be sure to keep up with maintenance.

Alum Sided or the flat sided both can have issues.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:28 PM   #6

Aluminium will fade unless you maintain it, Fiberglass is easier to wax, but prone to delamination over time. Fiberglass holds up better in a hail storm, aluminium will dent. Pros and Cons for both, it will come down to the floor plan you like and deal with the exterior as needed.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 02:59 PM   #7

Fiberglass may seem to hold up better to hail, but if the hail is strong enough to dent aluminum the odds are that it could put small spider cracks in the fiberglass and then it's just a matter of time before there are problems. I've seen countless old abandoned aluminum parked in the bush and some could still be brought back to life. We have a 2011 Puma 295bhk and honestly besides for a few self inflicted problems we have had no problems at all. Our outdoor kitchen has a sink, stove, fridge and microwave. It's rare nowadays to get all of that in an outdoor kitchen. We love our trailer. The only problem with owning an aluminum trailer is the odd fiberglass owner thinking you are a 2nd class citizen.
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:51 PM   #8

We love our aluminum sided Puma.

Demco 18k Autoslide
2012 Puma Unleashed 356QLB toy hauler
Toys - CRF250X, CRF250R, CRF450R, TTR230, TRX250EX, STX-1500 jet ski
rmoore0852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:06 PM   #9

Have owned 3 aluminum sided TT's. Have never had a problem. This goes back to 1974. Someone said "aluminum fades! No more than many FG RV's I've seen. Have to take care of all of them if you want one looking new. Aluminum NEVER cracks, peels, delaminates or bubbles! But pick what makes you feel good.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:31 PM   #10
WaitnToRide

Fiberglass

When we first started looking at trailers we were leaning towards aluminum siding because of all of the stories we read while doing research but we went for looks and purchased a Surveyor 5th wheel. Our unit is stored under cover so it sees very little wet weather except when traveling, unfortunately maybe four weeks out of the year for the last few years. Almost every single window has some delamination under it. When we first got the trailer I re-caulked around the sides and top of every opening. What appears to have happened is that water has worked its way into the laminate from the corners of the windows. The same thing happened around the upper refrigerator vent which I had not re-caulked. it's hard to see the issue unless the sun is just right. Even though the aluminum siding is harder to keep clean and doesn't look as modern we wish we had purchased one. As a bonus they were cheaper at the time for the same size floor plan.
Windspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:45 PM   #11

I'm on my second aluminum sided rv. I chose the aluminum because of delam issues. Some don't have issues and some don't notice. I saw nice newer used units with delam issues and read about here. I was told stories about fiberglass being better than Filon...bla bla. I read here Filon was better...who knows. I just know the aluminum may look cheap(I happen to like it) and these are entry level RVs etc... I don't care as that's why they still make them. Get what makes you feel good and don't worry about the other. If you take excellent care of any of them....it might last 15 years. IMO(in my opinion)
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:52 PM   #12

Wondering what type of financial hit I will take when trading in my 4-year-old camper with small delaminated area at bottom of rear wall. What would it cost the dealer to repair it? It's 6 inches by 18 inches.

Old 09-28-2017, 06:13 PM   #13

Recently traded in a 7 yr old aluminum sided trailer and it was still shiny, not faded, looked great with just a few small dings. Our current Coachmen is also stick and tin construction with plywood floors. Glass looks great when new but seems to fade fast, and dark front caps can leach out to almost white. Then there is the previously mentioned delam issues. But choices are limited with aluminum sided units, nearly all 5ers and high end units are glass sided now (except Airstream which is a different animal) Aluminum can dent or ding easily and can total a trailer in a hail storm. But you can find aluminum sided units 30 yrs old that still look good. Majority seem to choose glass siding, my guess is because of looks and most are now made that way.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
We've owned several RV's over the years both aluminum and fiberglass sided. Our present RV is an aluminum sided model. The simple reason is delamination. Every fiberglass sided RV we've owned and a lot of them we see have some delamination. Even if it's a small bubble.

Also, I have the tools and knowledge to repair a damaged piece of aluminum siding even an entire sidewall. I don't have the tools or equipment to repair more than a small damaged area of a fiberglass sidewall.

As for build quality, there's no discernible difference whether they're aluminum or fiberglass. Get the one you like and don't worry about what might happen.

X2
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:55 PM   #15

we have a 2017 Puma 255RKS and love it. Have had zero problems with it and just spent a month in the smoky mountains with it. We would buy it again without a doubt. I had a 2005 Wilderness advantage ax6 several years ago and sold it to my best friend, it is now junk with large bubbles everywhere and the roof seams were not what was wrong as far as I could see.
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:52 PM   #16

We have had 2 alum and 3 fiberglass rigs. Never had any delam problems. Fiberglass is much easier to maintain, especially if you use a buffer. Alum dents easily (even by bugs going down the road). Our second alum siding rig was totaled by hail that didn't dent our truck. I'll stick to fiberglass.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:49 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
[QUOTE=mjones12;1635134]Wondering what type of financial hit I will take when trading in my 4-year-old camper with small delaminated area at bottom of rear wall. What would it cost the dealer to repair it? It's 6 inches by 18 inches.[/QUOTE Last winter I had an area just about that size repaired on my Surveyor. Cost about $2K. Just traded it in on SOB and got fair value for the trade in with no delam concerns.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:52 AM   #18

[QUOTE=Lloydg;1635605]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
Wondering what type of financial hit I will take when trading in my 4-year-old camper with small delaminated area at bottom of rear wall. What would it cost the dealer to repair it? It's 6 inches by 18 inches.[/QUOTE Last winter I had an area just about that size repaired on my Surveyor. Cost about $2K. Just traded it in on SOB and got fair value for the trade in with no delam concerns.
Thank you. That info really helps.

Old 09-29-2017, 09:07 AM   #19

I just traded in a 2003 TT that had some delam which I was unable to fix.This is what made me choose aluminum for my new one.
Carvercamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 02:30 PM   #20

Alum vs Fiberglass

Our first NTM was a 1974 alum sided Winnebago motor home------in 1996. Purchased from a friend.. Problem was pitting of the skin because of the plywood behind it. May be corrected in newer models. Don't have experience with newer models. Last NTM was a 1992 Coachman Royal 36' MH with fiberglass skin. Had some delam which only got worse. We used it for many years with some repairs and sold it last month with some delam. If it's no structural, don't mind. Buyer didn't either. I would prefer not to ever have any delam.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0391.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	152952  
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality