Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2008, 12:52 PM   #1

long term slide out ?

My parents are moving up from Florida to Tennessee in a few months and until they buy something they are going to be staying in my trailer while they are here. i've heard some stories about slides becoming stuck after leaving them out from people who use them on seasonal sites. I'm wondering if i should just pull them in and out maybe once a week or so just to keep everything working?
eandsphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:59 PM   #2
Site Team

Mines been out for several weeks at the time since I've owned it. The only time it's in is when it's being towed. I've hnever had a problem with it sticking. If you're concerned get some silicone slide lube and spray the seals.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:38 PM   #3

longest time we left em out was about 6 months
worked like a champ
however, now i run em in once a month if we sit to long
ours are hydraulic, so it helps to move fluid around
i did find a leak once, seems a line came loose whilst we were just sitting
Old 08-04-2008, 04:39 PM   #4

I'm curious to see what the responses will be on this topic.

When we did our PDI, the tech told us that it would be okay to leave the slide out for extended periods but not to support it with jacks as the weight of the slide provides the seal.

At the end of this month we will be storing our TT at home and have the same question.
Equal-i-zer WDH
davenrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:17 PM   #5
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
At the seasonal lot...everyone leaves them out. I only close mine in the winter storage months...and many don't even do that. Ours don't leak...no matter what Mother Nature has dropped. So far...so good.

Good suggestion...to move them in and out once in awhile...and maintenance is important. Seal lube would be a great idea...to maintain those seals.

Another thing to note: Those slide roofs will be exposed to more gunk, debris, bird droppings, tree sap, leaves, squirrels, rain, hail, etc. Keep them clean, and check them often...as they may need extra attention.

We leave them out all summer...but I'll be sure to roll them a time or two and dress the seals.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:16 PM   #6

I have always thought it good practice not to leave them out. I store mine with it closed, even though it means that I have to run it out to get to the bunkhouse if I need to. If I had a seasonal site I would probably run it in and out each time I was there and lube it before that to keep everything working...
symbasden is offline   Reply With Quote