Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2016, 08:46 AM   #1

Long vs. Less

What drawbacks are there to using with a 39' 5th wheel vs. something shorter, such as accessable campgrounds, 50 amp availability, etc?
Wbrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:53 AM   #2

There are allots of threads on the site addressing this issue use the search function in the upper right of the page. You have to decide what type of RVing you are going to do. Myself I downsized from a class A to a TT because I could not take the class A to the areas I like to camp now.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:07 AM   #3

You should be prepared to have to "settle" for certain sites in some campgrounds the bigger you go and you could even be too big for some entire campgrounds like a lot of state parks. We knew that going in and decided that the benefits of having a bigger RV were worth it to us. We will have my sister's family with us this weekend which means 9 people under our roof. We've done it before and quite comfortably I might add. There are times that we have to adapt down to 30 amp and that hasn't really been a huge problem, the biggest concern there is if you have multiple AC units trying to start up at once. Lots of campgrounds are doing what they can to make themselves big rig friendly these days as big RVs are becoming more common.

As previously stated it really depends on what kind of camping you want to do and what your needs are.

Nights Camped, 2015: 23, 2016: 27, 2017: 29, 2018: 22, 2019: 29
mikeysotp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:55 AM   #4

Well, I don't have any experience with long fifth wheel trailers.

However, I am now a huge fan of the form/size of hybrid campers. I have a Rockwood Roo 233S and love the versatility of the space of this trailer. There are 3 queen beds, a spacious living area with slide out U-dinnette, and a pretty decent bathroom/glass shower. In total you can sleep 8-9. It does this in a 25 ft trailer. There are certainly compromises here, but it works great for us.

We just completed a 5,300 mile road trip and I can tell you I would not want to do that with a 39 foot trailer. Navigating is the issue - getting in and out tight areas will definitely raise your heart rate. This includes getting in and out of campgrounds (many are exceptionally tight), gas stations, parking lots, etc. etc. I had many stressful moments in my 25 foot trailer on my trip and could not imagine the possibilities with a significantly larger trailer.

I suppose it boils down to experience and comfort with larger trailers. Less trailer in undoubtedly easier when it comes down to navigation and maneuvering.

For us, we are definitely in the less is more category.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:37 PM   #5

Well we just went from a 32' 5er to a 42' 5er this spring.So far not a issue with getting around. Some of the older camp grounds can be a little tight getting in and out,but very doable. I usually go to the smaller stations that have diesel and they can be real tight,but again doable.I've only had to back out a couple of times. My DW and I like the extra room we have and she can take about anything with us.That's something she really likes.

2011 Ram Mega Cab 3500 Larimie dually
2016 Chaparral 370FL
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 02:27 PM   #6
Site Team

If you like state and national parks, you'll have more problems finding campsites vs. having a shorter RV.

You have a much easier time getting sites in private RV parks with a longer RV.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 02:48 PM   #7

WBRule, I've thought on this. We spent 11 months racking ourselves over this very question.

Here's the real answer.

Get the absolute shortest and lightest unit that still meets every single one of your camping requirements. But don't be afraid to move up a snudge to get those requirements met. And it depends on where you live. Lots on here say "state parks are tight" and I was in one of those in June in South Carolina. Here? Here the State Parks are the biggest, most spread out, easiest to get into, parks that we have.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:51 PM   #8

Be even worse if you had a 39` -40` TT over a 5er .
Big Red and 30WR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:59 PM   #9

The lite is 30 foot so I have not had a problem putting it in a tight spot yet.

If I went longer I would be a lot more selective about the CGs I stay at.