Old 03-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
Long Way From Home Break Down Question

I have just recently discovered much to my anger that the 2003 thru 2006 V-8 Ford F-150 transmissions are known for going KABOOM with no notice what's so ever My research has shown me that they usally go around the 87,000 mile mark. Well you guessed it I have 87,525 miles on my F-150. We are planning a 940 mile each way trip to Disney in August. Here is my question?

What happens if it takes a crap half way to Disney. I would be strapped with a 7 year old girl who has been looking forward to going her whole life and that would SUCK

I know there are different roadside assistance plans but is there one that would get my camper to Disney and my truck home? Could I rent a truck to pull my camper from a rent-a-car place? Any answers would be a big help I am already starting to loose sleep over this could be problem.

2013 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 w/Murphy Bed
2004 F-150 4.6 Liter 4x2 Factory Tow Package
2012 - 21 Nights Camped
2013 - 21 Nights Camped
wolfpack21643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
When I had a tt my emergency plan was to rent a uhaul or some rental van / truck to get the tt home. Then at a later date go back and pickup truck.

2007 Chevy 2500 HD 6.6
2012 Sabre 31RETS
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
Guess, if it were me I'd do or consider a couple things...
1. Have ford dealer or trusted service shop check transmission fluid, and give me their opinion on it making the trip. Maybe add a transmission temp gauge if you don't have one equipped now.
2. Consider whether now is the time to upgrade the truck? Maybe your looking for an excuse to get a newer eco-boost?
If you drive it and the transmission fails, do like you say and rent a truck for the rest of the trip. Life is too short and kids grow too fast to worry about this stuff though. Your right about this being important for your 7yo. I was able to take my 7 and 5 year old DD's two years ago, but that was before owning a camper so we flew and rode the busses! Great time, great memories, great CC billss.....But sooo worth it!
One quick story..I used to have a 97 suburban that drove great, shifted fine, but felt a little looseish at times. Always worried about the transmission going out at a bad time. On a tent camping trip with a couple friends, one of my buddies older "camping truck's" wouldn't start. I pulled him 6 miles into the nearest town as we didn't think a service guy would be able to find the truck where we were camping. Pulled him fine and all seemed well, until I unhooked from him and went to back up....No reverse, no park! Arghh. All forward gears still worked fine, and so was able to haul both my buddies and get us all home. $2500 for a rebuilt tranny with 3 yrs of warranty and then I wasn't so scared to tow. Bought a new burb and then our old 28BH TT and decided the camper was an excuse for a real truck. Now I have a F250 and since I could pull more, now we have a 5er...

Like I said, no use worrying, but I get what your saying.

Good Luck and ENJOY the Trip!
Joel and Teresa
2016 Sabre 34TBOK
2006 GMC 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
I carry the title to my truck with me on long trips.........just coast into the first truck dealership if its to far gone.......have a good trip
Geaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #5
MI Camperz
Sell or trade for different truck? Not to be funny. Perhaps best way to get peace of mind back.
bodzcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #6
I lost a spindle 500 miles from home on my tt a few years back. Axle couldn't be repaired at a local axle shop. We were on our way home any way so I found a local campground that also had a storage lot. We spent the night and I pulled the axle out from under the tt and then put into their storage lot. After getting home I ordered a new axle and then 2 or 3 weeks later I went back, installed axle and then drove home with tt in tow.

Just have a basic plan for each vehicle and then adapt to the situation.

I have no plan for my 5th wheel. Hahaha
2007 Chevy 2500 HD 6.6
2012 Sabre 31RETS
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #7
Moderators' Assistant
Uhaul will not rent a truck for towing.
you'd have to rent a moving truck that had a receiver to tow with but i only think they allow for small cargo trailers.
not for using a WDH or even a 7-pin connector.

i looked into renting a truck/SUV to fly to Chicago and bring our new trailer home.
never found any rental agency that would allow for that, nor with any vehicle set up for towing a TT.
maybe things have changed since then.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #8
Mod free 5er
Have the tranny rebuilt or replaced with a new one before you leave? Make sure you have a tranny cooler!
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #9
Graduate Member
I'm guessing with that age of truck and that low of miles that maybe she's special, or maybe you just don't need a truck payment right now?

If it were me, and I was that worried - I'd call a couple places and ask how much to have the whole tranny replaced. Once you know that price, then you can decide if you can wait while they do it on the road and put it on your card when it happens, or you can decide when it's going to happen and what garage will do the work. If you're wanting to keep this truck and since it appears you won't be able to move the trailer via uhaul. Sorry.
--2009 Sunseeker 2860DS (Class C)
- one Hotwife, and two boys under 2(with one on the way!)
2013 - 53 days
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #10
wolfpack21643 First then I would do is buy a Chevy . The best road side assistance I found would be Good Sams. But you have to get the Platium + which cover up to 100 miles and it cost 179.95 a yr. AAA RV plus is no good for your RV it doesn't tow your trailer if your truck break down I know it happen to me twice.I haven't bought it yet but I thinking on getting Good Sams I talk to rep. and they told me I would be cover.When I get it im getting it in writing Bill

2012 21' FR Micro Lite FBRS
2005 GMC Sierra 1500
2012 24 nites 2016 16 nites
2013 25 nites
2014 14 nites
2015 16 nites
BillyBass is online now   Reply With Quote