Old 01-26-2015, 08:46 PM   #11
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Our biggest problem was trying to get them to stop whatever they were doing and look out the window at the USA.
So true. I despise that my kids don't just look out the window and watch the world go by.

2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:52 PM   #12
Site Team
As stated above, electronics are your friend. We started camping when my dd was 3yrs old. She is now 7 yrs old. She travels really well. Our longest trip was NC to Disney (13 hrs). We did 10 hrs the first day and the final 3 the second day going down. Coming home we did it in one straight 13 hr shot. Never again but that's because DH had an eye infection so I drove the whole thing. 7-8 hrs trips aren't too bad, 10 is doable if you have good travelling kids.

We have a portable DVD player with a car charger for it and a large supply of dvds for her. She has a nabi and a Nintendo 3ds also. She has books and coloring books etc in th seat back pocket in front of her. She has a travel pillow, a blanket and a stuffed animal to cuddle for naps. We do the first stretch of 3 hrs give or take 30 min without stopping. After that we stop every two hours or so. At each stop my dd walks with one of us as we walk the dog. She helps get the dog water and tend to his needs. This gives her a sense of responsibility and a purpose at each stop. We switch drivers at each stop too. When we pass something neat we make sure she sees it. For example, we drove from NC to MD this weekend (no trailer on this trip). When we drove through DC she had to put the movie down. We drove past the Pentagon and could see the Washington monument and part of the Smithsonian. We used the opportunity to teach her a little bit about it. It makes the trip more interesting for her and she learns a little about the country. It also forces her to look out the window!

<a href= target=_blank></a>
2014 Crew Cab Chevy Silverado 3500 4wd Duramax/Allison
2014 Sabre 34REQS-6
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:54 AM   #13
My gas tank provides for regular stops and the dog ensures that someone also gets out to stretch with her. We have managed 700mile days with few big issues. During last year's trip to SouthDakota from FL, we didn't have many issues at all. Tablets certainly help them pass the time.
carlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:43 AM   #14
I think it all depends on the kids. Mine were raised on taking long trips starting at about 3 months of age. My step kids also travel well. Timing is key too.
A couple years ago, we took the camper to Myrtle Beach, approximately 600 some miles and 12 hours. It was a full vehicle, me, wife, 5 kids aged 10-19, 2 dogs & an african grey parrot, all in the Excursion. We left right at dinner time and drove straight through, kids watched a few movies then fell asleep. It was the quietest smoothest trip ever. I even thought the bird didnt make it because even she was quiet the whole time.
Jim & Evelyn
-2015 Ford F-350 XLT Dually
-2014 XLR Hyperlite 27HFS
-2012 Harley Davidson Street Glide (his)
-2004 Harley Davidson Fatboy (hers)
RVBikers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:17 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
I have 2 alternatives that I do when traveling. I mostly drive through the night, especially when going someplace we've been before and have seen all the sights along the way. The kids/wife will sleep, read, or watch a movie, I will listen to the radio. The last couple times, my wife and youngest (8 today), flew to FL and would catch a shuttle (WDW) or I would pick them up from airport. I have also found, that oldest ones complain the most.

2016 Georgetown 364TS
Nights Camped
2014 - 56
2015 - 41
2016 - 64
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote