Old 01-26-2015, 02:17 PM   #1

Smile Longer Trips with Kids...Lets hear the Horror!

I think most of us already have this mindset...RV travel is better. The reasons are vast. What we don't often hear about is the stress and issues that come along with RV travel with families. Our kids are getting older and we are now starting to venture further away from home. This May will be our longest trip to date a total of 10 days, and the distance is more than we have ever done. With that said we are very excited! Its funny, this weekend we started talking about an even longer trip for 2016...having not even attempted our trip to the beach this year. The mind started to race....Memphis, Gulf Shores, New Orleans and a few days with the grandparents in Houston. Possibly a stop in Hot Springs AR on the way home. Few days at each location some more and some just a night. In theory its an awesome thing. So I started mapping it out and realized that two weeks is almost not enough time to get it all done. I would like to hear from other parents who have attempted similar trips and what their thoughts are.

Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:54 PM   #2

Try to keep the driving time short (no 10 and 12 hour days). I try to stop every 2 hours at a rest area to let everyone stretch their legs and let off steam. Have portable games for the children to play when driving. Portable DVD players help keep the young ones busy when driving. As stated keep days short and let the young ones run around at the CG. This is one time that Walmart camping should not be an option.

caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:09 PM   #3

I agree with the drive time....we are trying to limit travel days to around 5-6 hours.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:46 PM   #4
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
Try to keep the driving time short (no 10 and 12 hour days). I try to stop every 2 hours at a rest area to let everyone stretch their legs and let off steam. Have portable games for the children to play when driving. Portable DVD players help keep the young ones busy when driving. As stated keep days short and let the young ones run around at the CG. This is one time that Walmart camping should not be an option.
Funny enough- it's all personal preference. My kids are good in the truck for long periods of time. We've done anywhere up to 10 and 13 hours.

I agree on regular stops.

I also agree with the games and regular activities in the vehicle to keep the kids entertained.

And finally, we have done a couple of parking lot overnights with the kids.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:40 PM   #5

We look at the other campers and guess if they are going to work or vacation (lucky ones). If you see AR, LA , TX, or OK going north it's to work and it will be happening soon. Have seen a 100 spot CG fill up in one week as the different crews come in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 01-26-2015, 08:14 PM   #6

Longer Trips with Kids...Lets hear the Horror!

My line of work is in oil and gas....very familiar with the migration! I didn't even think of it to be honest. Try to block out as much work as possible!!! However with all the oilfield layoffs the crews might be much smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 01-26-2015, 08:23 PM   #7

We did 2500+ miles every summer with our 2 kids (Coleman popup) for 2 weeks at a pop. We would do 10-12 hrs first day, remainder the next to get to some place (Mt Rushmore, Disney World, Mystic Seaport, Pikes Peak, whatever). Then we'd stay in that area for 4 or 5 days, see all the sights, then move on to another place a days drive away and stay another 4 or 5 days, then a hard run home. (Get home on Saturday, not Sunday. Gives YOU a day to unwind!). We did this for 20 years (First kid was 9 months old and we went until 2nd kid was 18 - they're 2 yrs apart.)

With all the electronic diversions they have today, they do just fine. Need stops to pee and eat, of course. Our biggest problem was trying to get them to stop whatever they were doing and look out the window at the USA.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:25 PM   #8

My kids are better on a 10-11 hour drive to go camping than they are driving across town. We drove Maryland to Georgia last spring. Took 11 hours. We try to get on the road early in the morning (4 am or so). The kids will go back to sleep for a few hours. Then we stop for a decent breakfast. Make sure the kindle and ipad are charged and have a few movies on them and they can easily keep themselves entertained for the rest of the trip.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2015, 08:35 PM   #9

My kids are grown, however, I now have 2 grandsons and my best way to see them is to plan a camping trip. Daughter and son in law have dvd player for them and they have a few toys they can play with in the truck. Many times they will travel in the evening so the kids sleep after a while. When they do get to the campground they make sure they have plenty of time to do things they like. Ride bikes, swim, play putt putt. We even let my grandson bring his golf set and we pretend we are playing a famous golf course and putt gently around the trailer. A nice fire in the evening helps as well. If they are having fun they will do it willingly and look forward to it.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:07 PM   #10

My 5 kids also do well with long travel, so we'll drive all day. Last spring we drove to Lubbock TX, stopped in St. Louis for a couple days and drove 15 hours to Lubbock in our Suburban and HTT. After this trip, we learned a motorhome is best suited for these adventures. But my kids did well. We had a DVD player, ds's, Kindles, etc.

Nights camped in 2011/36, 2012/9, 2013/24, 2014/27; 2015/50 2016: 34
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote