Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2007, 01:29 PM   #1

Looking a Surveyor SV303 -- Tank size concern..

We saw the SV303 at a recent camper show and got a good quote on one fully loaded (~25K, inc hitch and goodies).

We loved the layout as well.

There were a couple of things that we didn't like (it was a 2006 model), that are fixed/added on the 2007 (our quote was for 07). 07 added heated underbelly, some redesign of the bathroom/tub for more space. All good.

BUT, the tanks seem small to me, esp for a unit that size. Fresh is 36, gray water is 30, black water is 30. I would be more comfortable with a larger gray water tank. I will likely be using this in a spot where I am not hooked up to dump the gray water..(I will have water and electricity).

Any opinions on the 30 gal tank? We have four boys (11,9,3,2) plus the two of us, so we might be using the water a bit.
johnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:15 PM   #2

Our TT has the 30/30/30 for fresh/grey/black tanks. With three people we can usually go 3 days before having to use the blue tote-a-long to empty the grey tank and abut 5 days on the black. We try to limit shower use and use campground facilities if they are in good order. There are other fresh & grey water conservation ideas out there that we have not used but might if we are dry-camping for more than a weekend. Just assign the dumping of the holding tanks to the kids and they will learn conservation in short order!
Grand Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Surveyor View Post
Just assign the dumping of the holding tanks to the kids and they will learn conservation in short order!
lmfao.......good idea.

Night's camped in 2010 36
MrSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Surveyor View Post
...assign the dumping of the holding tanks to the kids and they will learn conservation in short order!
I agree, very good plan.

When teasing the spouse about her responsibility being largely septic/dumping duties as I will need to focus on the driving, backing, set-up and take down, her response not only threatened our camping years together, but marriage also. With that now understood, the assignment above will guarantee conservation!

Edit to Add:
Johnh, I don't have any direct advice, but am wondering the same about capacity for my model and intended use.
Interested to see what type of feedback you get from experienced members.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:31 PM   #5

We have 60 gals of gray water, with a family I too would be concerned about the 30 gal gray capacity.

Also note that when FR states 36 gals of fresh water, 6 of them are the water heater. The actual fresh tank is 30 gals, which is all that is usable. Our last trailer had a 43 gal fresh tank, loosing these 13 gallons makes a noticiable difference.

I would not make tank capacity a deal breaker, but it will require some real conservation to make it through a weekend.

Take a look at the Rockwood 8313 or 8318, nearly identical layout with 60 gal gray tanks.

John U
midnightpumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:24 PM   #6

Something to think about.
If you do buy the SV303 and find you're running out of holding capacity, adding a second Grey water tank is no big task.
Look at this thread.

milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:50 AM   #7

Five people 30gal. no sewer. Park close to the Rest room.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:13 PM   #8

Johnh I'm curious why you chose the 303 vs the 304 2007 model? I have 3 kids and we found that the 303 wasn't enough sleeping space without imposing on living area. Add another kid into the mix, (and friends who might tag along) and you will have even more crowding. Of course, we just left a popup so we didn't want anything to do with having to break down tables and couches. The 304 has double bunks and weighs the same. I'm just mentioning it in case you didn't know. The 304 isn't in the brochure this year. We ordered one and it came in over the Christmas holidays so we haven't camped in it yet, but look forward to it! You can see the layout on FR's website.
As for the size of the tanks, I'm wondering if they are smaller because Surveyors are listed as ultralights? Waters pretty heavy and they are marketing these trailers to people with SUVs. Larger tanks would put the tow weight above limits. Of course, the 303 and 304 aren't exactly "ultra light" (6,065 dry) but thats what FR is marketing them as.
Milzat- thanks so much for that link! I'll have to add that to my husbands to-do list!
Krystal
Old 02-05-2007, 10:46 AM   #9

Ok, so 30 gals is too small as I feared...I would like to at least make a weekend without having to dump (tote or travel). 5 days would be ideal.

I will take a look at the 304, I wasn't aware of it, at first glance looks to be a very nice plan.

I will also look at the other models, with the larger tanks. Adding one to the 2007 model might be a little trickier with the enclosed underbelly....I wonder if you can get the factory to "customize it"?
Old 03-05-2007, 10:33 AM   #10

I did see the 304 in person..yes a very nice plan we liked it alot. Still the small tank is the main concern. We also saw a Cherokee plan (Quad bunks) that we liked, it had IIRC 42 gal vs. 30 gal. From what we could figure it was $4-5K less as well. It wasn't quite as nice, but that's a big difference in price.

Our search continues...of course its cold and snowy here in Michigan anyway, so no big rush...
Old 03-18-2007, 09:52 AM   #11

Well we've done it.

Went ahead and ordered a SV304. We just couldn't beat the layout. Only downside is the tank size, but two of our main intended uses should be fine. We will use it at my folks cottage (has bathroom) so we will have water and electric and should be able to use the house bathroom most of the time and two amusement parks (eg. Cedar Point) we figured we be in the park most of the day(s) so it wouldn't fill up as fast.

Now just gotta wait and pick a hitch setup.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:08 PM   #12

Well congratulations!
I'm sure you will love it. And I'm happy that there is another '07 SV304 owner to exchange tips with.
Let us know when you get it and how you like it
Krystal