Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2009, 04:33 PM   #1

looking for a roo

I am looking to purchase a rockwood roo to accomodate 2 adults and 2 kids. any suggestions. I also am leaning towards one with the front deck to haul toys/motorcycles, etc. Does anybody have any advice on the roo's or other types of toy haulers that would be a good started camper without braking the bank.
BIGSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGSKY View Post
I am looking to purchase a rockwood roo to accomodate 2 adults and 2 kids. any suggestions. I also am leaning towards one with the front deck to haul toys/motorcycles, etc. Does anybody have any advice on the roo's or other types of toy haulers that would be a good started camper without braking the bank.
Welcome to the forums Bigsky. Don't have much experience with the Roos but someone here on the group did just buy one with the front deck, cool looking setup and I can see all kinds of things to do with that deck when not hauling toys. With kids any RV with a bunk option is awesome. Don't know if the Roos come with this or not but it's great having the bunk beds which aren't in the way and don't need to be "stowed" every morning to be able to move around.

Good luck on your search.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:22 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I do have a toy hauler, although not a Roo. We have an 18 foot Work and Play. with only one double bed, so that won't work with children, unless they are old enogh to stay in a tent by themselves. Before you get a lot of suggestions on toy haulers, First question may be what are you towing with? The budget may not be the problem, it may be the tow vehicle. Don't take a dealer's word that "it will tow it just fine". They won't be the one getting sued in an accident. Also don't forget to add the weight of your "toys" when you are figuring gross trailer weight and tow ratings. Let us know what your tow vehicle is so we don't recommend a fifth wheel to an SUV owner. Also include towing specs as best you can find them.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:53 AM   #4
CampeRooo

Hi Bigsky,

My wife and I bought a used one in '08 and got a chance to really experience the TT this summer while we were down in Pagosa Springs. My wife lived in it for about 5 months while helping out some friends and I spent about 1 week out of each of those months in it. We have a 2000 M-18 (19' x 7' 6") with the 2 drop down beds on each end and I think we both agreed that it was a little tight, even for just the two of us. Now granted, most people wouldn't be living out of it for months at a time and as for previous camping trips we made, it worked out just fine. It's when you start living out of it and start carrying t.v.'s, vcr's, and all the supplies, clothes, coats, and whatever else you might need is when things start to get a little tight. I think that we would be happier with the 21ss model, but then that would change my winter storage situation and I don't really want to pay someone to let it sit on their property for the winter. I like the idea of parking it on the side of my garage and covering it up for the winter and if we buy something new for it, we just step outside and open her up and add it in.

The 21SS model that i mentioned has the two bunk ends that drop down, just like ours, but the off-door side has a super slideout (SS) that pushes a couch and a dining area out and opens up the floor space between the kitchen and these sitting areas. Talk about leg room! Anyway, that would be a perk to having the 21 over the smaller 18. I believe they also make a 21 with just a couch slideout and with 3 drop down bunks as well, but I don't know those models off hand. i think they also make a 23 footer in this SS setup as well.

Showering in a camper is a first time perk for us, but an even newer experience on how to deal with the short life of the 5 gallon hot water tank. We learned how to conserve water in a hurry, that's for sure. No more daydreaming while soaking in the steam like we did at home. I do have an appreciation for the push button ignition within the camper vs having to go fire off a pilot light outside. Do yourself the big favor and no matter what you get, make sure that hot water heater has the electric heating element along with the option for propane heating as well. Electric is great for the misc. warm water needs and the propane makes it nice for fast recovery for those early morning showers.

One thing that really bugged me about this camper was the stock sized tires and rims that came on it. Long story short, I replace the 13" wheels and tires for a 14" and have been very pleased since the day I did this. I have a write up in here somewhere about getting some help from the fellas and getting it done shortly there after. So, assuming that they install those 13" wheels and tires on the new ones, if you get the opportunity to upgrade the wheels and tires on it to a 14", do it! You'll save yourself a LOT of headaches later.

One thing that I really enjoy on ours is the full slide through storage bin in the front section of our Roo. I store everything in there from axes and camp shovels to the dog bowls and the fold up chairs. It's really nice to not have to unpack that stuff every time we clean out the camper. I don't remember if they are still including that slide bin area up front, but I would miss it and it would be a deal breaker on my next purchase if it didn't have something similar to that on it.

Another upgrade I did in ours was in the shower. Not sure why they did this (other then to save money) but our shower didn't have the vinyl or plastic shower wall surround it in. I saw an add for a 2002 model for sale, same M-18 model and it didn't have the shower walls in it either, so I thought this might be worth the mention. The walls that were in there were the same material as you would find in the hallways, that taped and textured type stuff. So, I bought the acrylic surround from a guy near work and installed it over the existing walls and it's worked out really well for us. No leaks or issues during that entire 5 month stay (knock on wood).

I'll leave it at that for now, but if you have any other specific questions about our experiences, feel free to let me know. I'll be happy to share our experiences with you.

Joe

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:16 AM   #5

We just bought a 2010 Roo 21SSL. The 2 ends open to a 60x80 beds, large slideout of coach and dinette, & 8ft x 8ft deck on front. We carry 3 dirtbikes and gear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0718.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	2076  
Roo 21ssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:57 PM   #6
CampeRooo

Ahhh! There it is!
That is a beauty of a Roo!

Old 12-29-2009, 05:44 PM   #7
Site Team

the Roo is a hybrid or expandable. you may want to post future questions under the Expandable section here on FRF.

that said, the Roo has a sister brand, the Shamrock. they have the same exact floorplans, the only differences are fabrics/decor and outside graphics.
they both have models with front decks. current models have a 8' long deck. the earlier models had a 4' long deck.
the only issue is having a TV that can tow a 30'+ trailer. the smallest is the 183L and it has 3 beds.
personally, if you have a big enough TV, i'd choose the 21SSL. the superslide really makes a huge difference.
if you only need the 4" long deck, you could probably find some of the previous models for a good price.
the lowest price i found online for a 21SSL was $17,149. so, the smaller models would be less.

the best prices for a Roo are RVWholesalers and RVDirect.
get their prices and use them to shop locally.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGSKY View Post
Try [?], they carry roo's, we purchased our Puma from them and if their roo prices are as good as their Puma prices then you will not find a better price.
commander ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:02 PM   #9
CampeRooo

One more thought, if I may...

The wife and I searched a 10 state area around Colorado in Craigslist to find one used when we were upgrading from the pop up. Around here, those that have them are pretty proud of them and want a premium price if they decided to resell. We drove all the way to Des Moines to pick up ours and we saved a good chunk of change while enjoying a bit of a road trip. (trip on the way back was a different story). It seems that most of the better priced ones are further East...especially out towards Indiana & Illinois.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:11 PM   #10

we found the same thing to be true, the midwest, michigan in particular seems to have the best prices, you may have to travel but to save thousands I ll drive about anywhere, or, you can always have one delivered like we did and not have to leave home or worry about time off work,school and the related expenses.
a few sites are www.allseasonsrv.com, www.lakeshore-rv.com or www.gilettesinterstaterv.com
commander ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:16 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

With kids, open floor space will be a key factor. 21SS or 23SS would be good candidates. Imagine all 4 of you in the camper on a rainy day . . . .
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote