Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2017, 07:04 PM   #21

sell or rent

I would sell and not rent.
I have talked to persons who have rented and told me how they "keep the pedal to the metal: Renters don't care about your investment.
Robertpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:43 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysotp View Post
Sorry to hear you are in this situation. I would be very hesitant in renting it out. The advent of sites like Home Away have made it very easy for people to rent out vacation homes but there is just such a steep learning curve with RVs you have a lot of potential for problems. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
X-2; agreed. These have complex systems & have a big learning curve. It could be really easy for someone to do some major damage. Your warranty or insurance may not cover user error.
I would probably sell it now while it's in great condition instead of after wear a d tear of renters hard use of it.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:16 AM   #23
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniandSal View Post
I'm on the fence about keeping, and continuing payments on our 1-1/2 year old Forester. My husband has dementia, and it's stressful to go camping and manage him. My family advises me to sell it, but I hate to part with it, along with the fact that I paid $4700.00 for the complete Blue Ox tow set-up for the new Wrangler. All total invested is about $100,000 for RV and toad. My son told me that if I rent out the RV, it will get damaged and worn.

I checked the RV trader and there was no comparison in our So. CA area listed. Similar ones do seem to go for what we owe on it, and for more. I think I could sell it without a loss, except for the $5,000 we put down. Ugh.

What, I am looking for here is any wisdom about renting your motorhomes. Is it a nightmare? I'm afraid someone might destroy something in it. I think I would rent it for $225-250 per day + cleaning fee. Would that be about right? I just don't know what is the best thing to do. If I keep the motorhome, but very rarely use it, it will deteriorate, right?

Please no hurtful comments, it isn't easy. Thank you!
I think your family is right. Sell it. You sound as if you have enough on your plate right now. Managing a rental is going to be labor intensive and will only lead to more stress. Wish you well.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:29 PM   #24

I am very grateful for all of your advice. Yesterday, I started unloading the inside cabinets. Boy, it was sad! I will miss playing house in our beautiful Forester. It is just perfect. I hope it sells soon. I hope that because it only has 6800 miles on it, someone will snap it up.
ToniandSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:42 PM   #25
Georgia Rally Coordinator

As some have mentioned when selling sell the toad parts separate unless somebody comes up with right price for all. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:56 AM   #26

My mother has dementia and it's the most heartbreaking thing ever to watch. Both my parents are in an assisted living facility. My mother recognizes us because we are there every other day. She does not know we are her children. The only one she really knows is my father. Mom is 86 and pop is 84. I'm the youngest and I'm 57 and had recently retired. They are essentially children. Pop is confined to a wheelchair and cannot feel the need to evacuate his bladder or bowels. The situation will only get worse with your husband. Every so often my mother has cognitive moments where we see the real mom but they are very short and few and far in between. My father will probably be going to a nursing home soon and I'm not sure that we can place them together when that time comes. Our main goal is to keep them safe. Mom doesn't wander off but that doesn't mean that she will remain that way. My father has worn himself down trying to take care of her. I wish you the best. Take care of yourself. God bless
imabmwnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:15 AM   #27

Very sorry to read your situation. Life is not always easy, I know what your going through. Do not have second thoughts on your decision, you are doing the best thing. Sometimes we have to let others continue our dreams.
Nascon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:54 PM   #28

Looking for Advice on Renting our 2016 Forester Class C

When I was in the MH last week taking out more of our stuff, it just made me so sad and disappointed. I'm not a quitter, and I decided to try and make a go of it again. I have since learned of two meds that I am going to approach my DH's doctor about. He needs something for sundowning. The road travel he is fine with, and walks we take with our dogs, etc. It's the late afternoon-evenings that present a challenge. We are going to take two 3-day trips, not far away from home at beach campgrounds, and one 5 day up in Pismo. I plan on looking into equipment to download movies and shows with my Amazon firestick at home to use camping. If it doesn't work on these 3 trips, then I tried, and will resign myself to selling it. Keeping the Wrangler, though. It's really fun to drive. Will sell the expensive Blue Ox set-up, too.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:59 PM   #29

Well good for you.

My father was having the same issues and with meds is much better. Pm me if you want some more info on what etc.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:24 PM   #30

I see your decision... Good for you.

I would not loan or rent an RV I had to someone I cared about/most trusted person I know/family member, so I cannot fathom a person I didn't know using it. Makes me pray thinking about it.

A person(more than one) has told me to be wise with your money, but enjoy life as you go because there is NO guarantee of even another day. Good luck to you and your family.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:25 PM   #31

I think your three choices are:
1) keep it and figure out how to use it (but not just keep it)
2) sell and take a loss that will be a bad surprise for you as units lose value much faster than you think.
3) rent and make more work and unhappy moments for yourself.

No really good options, but try to avoid adding more headaches.

My experience with major negative changes in the family, is that it will take at least a few months, probably much longer, before you can begin to sort things out in a reasonable way. It takes time to adjust and acclimate to the unplanned, unwanted situation.
Philos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:33 PM   #32
D W

Thumbs up

Quote:
When I was in the MH last week taking out more of our stuff, it just made me so sad and disappointed. I'm not a quitter, and I decided to try and make a go of it again. I have since learned of two meds that I am going to approach my DH's doctor about. He needs something for sundowning. The road travel he is fine with, and walks we take with our dogs, etc. It's the late afternoon-evenings that present a challenge. We are going to take two 3-day trips, not far away from home at beach campgrounds, and one 5 day up in Pismo. I plan on looking into equipment to download movies and shows with my Amazon firestick at home to use camping. If it doesn't work on these 3 trips, then I tried, and will resign myself to selling it. Keeping the Wrangler, though. It's really fun to drive. Will sell the expensive Blue Ox set-up, too.
Well, you do what you got to do. Once again, I wish you both well!
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:02 AM   #33

Our prayers are with both of you. God bless.
RLHAMILTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:39 AM   #34

I respect you and your decision and hope all goes well and you BOTH enjoy your continued camping trips
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:56 AM   #35

Thank you everyone for your supportive comments. I realize that the situation I brought here is more personal than what most people post. I figured that with all the RV and life experience of members, posting the question would be a good idea.

Sigh...I am back on the fence. My dad (90) passed away this past Monday, and I am helping my mon (86) arrange things. I have to separate all the emotions of stuff I have going on, and do the right thing. Loving our Forester is not a rational reason to keep it, and make payments. DH is not an easy person to manage. I have a feeling I will swallow, and put it up for sale. The comment posted by one member that, "It will never be worth more than it is now", has stuck in my mind.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:23 AM   #36

Best of luck to you and your husband!
Old 04-14-2017, 06:11 AM   #37

Sorry for your loss....

Just make sure the decision is a thought out one and not strictly an emotional one. Having been down similar roads over the years that is hard to do sometimes though.

Wish you well.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:44 AM   #38

: sell it

-you'll never recoup your money by renting it, even if you can find renters...

-your insurance company will NOT provide coverage when you rent it, and while
someone else is driving it, or using it - it's specifically EXCLUDED in your policy...

-folks who 'rent' RVs are NOT knowledgeable about everything that needs to be maintained, checked, and kept an eye on while using it, otherwise they would have their own! an RV payment is MUCH cheaper than them renting it from you!

-who is going to 'clean up' after renting? you? that would get old REAL FAST!

-NO ONE takes care of something that they 'rent', nor do they care if anything goes wrong with it while in their 'care'...

SELL IT, you'll be glad you did... then you can always RENT one yourself when you're ready to vacation and travel!
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:15 AM   #39

FormerFR, that makes sense. Pretty much the consensus here.
If/when the time comes that I will be camping solo, I might look into a small TT to pull with our Honda Pilot. That way I don't have the engine to upkeep.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:38 AM   #40

Quote:
FormerFR, that makes sense. Pretty much the consensus here.
If/when the time comes that I will be camping solo, I might look into a small TT to pull with our Honda Pilot. That way I don't have the engine to upkeep.
That sounds like a plan. This way you can still enjoy RVing. Wish you and your husband well.
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, forester