Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2019, 01:05 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
At Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach SC they don’t allow motorcycles so they won’t allow anything gas
Campground rules for golf carts are all over the place. Some (seemingly) make no sense, but most do. Each campground owner makes the rules, and they are probably based on their experiences and preferences. If we want to use our golf carts, we have to choose campgrounds with rules that fit our requirements. It isn’t right to argue rules that are in place.

My seasonal campground allows both gas and electric golf carts. You must present proof of insurance if you are going to use it. You must possess a valid driver’s license and you must be at least 21 years of age to drive it. The 21 years of age thing kind of baffled me at first, but I have since seen the difference between some 16-year-olds on golf carts versus 21-year-olds, so I get it now.

Bruce
Old 01-12-2019, 02:08 PM   #42

We are not big golf cart people but do know to some that is a big thing for them, that's why we have chocolate & vanilla. Anyway we were at a campground once and if they had a DUI checkpoint set up a lot would be walking more. Fort Wilderness is one place we splurge and rent a cart.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:11 PM   #43

I love our Yamaha g22 gas cart. It's a 2004 and I bought it in 2011 at a large auction in Indiana. I have made it street legal and it is registered in Ohio as a low speed vehicle. We drive it around or village all the time except really cold weather. It is legal in all Ohio State parks. The Yamaha gas carts are very low maintenance. Change the oil once a year and if it gets hard to start then the valves might need adjusted. I've never even had to do that to mine. I know some campgrounds are fussy about gas carts but I'll just find one that allows mine. BTW you can can run just about all of pigeon forge tn on a cart. It makes running around easier and more fun. It takes less gas and parking is easier. Mine was originally a two seater but I added a folding rear seat for about 180.00. as for insurance, my agent told me my cart is covered in my home owners policy. That sufficed when I took it for a street legal inspection. We've been thinking about getting a lift kit and tires only because it would load into our pickup truck a little easier. I have never considered an electric cart. Although my gas cart cost me more when I bought it the cost ownership has been much less. I paid about 1800.00 for mine and at the same auction I could have bought an electric cart for about 1100.00. additionally, I'm sure I would have had to replace the batteries on an electric cart at least once in the time I've owned the cart.
If I could make my RZR 900 street legal, I might sell my cart though. That's not a choice in Ohio.
Librarianwhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:06 AM   #44

I bought a 2015 EZGO RXV that was totally reworked. New Seats, Windshield, new folding rear seat, new rims and tires, 4 new Trojan 1275 batteries and a new charger. I have $5500 in it but it should last me the rest of my life.

I chose electric because of the gas carts sometimes being prohibited in campgrounds. This runs 20-mph which is faster than I'll ever drive it anywhere except on a blacktop straight road. Has plenty of pickup (actually beats my friends 25 mph GC for about the first 50 yards).

Main reason I chose the EZGO RXV was two fold. Ride was better than other models I tried and I really liked the let of the gas and the regenerative braking kicks in, slows the cart and once it comes to a stop, automatically applies the parking brake. No worries about anyone forgetting to press the brake pedal and the cart rolling down a hill.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xaA...ew?usp=sharing
Old 01-13-2019, 08:16 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGus View Post
I bought a 2015 EZGO RXV that was totally reworked. New Seats, Windshield, new folding rear seat, new rims and tires, 4 new Trojan 1275 batteries and a new charger. I have $5500 in it but it should last me the rest of my life.

I chose electric because of the gas carts sometimes being prohibited in campgrounds. This runs 20-mph which is faster than I'll ever drive it anywhere except on a blacktop straight road. Has plenty of pickup (actually beats my friends 25 mph GC for about the first 50 yards).

Main reason I chose the EZGO RXV was two fold. Ride was better than other models I tried and I really liked the let of the gas and the regenerative braking kicks in, slows the cart and once it comes to a stop, automatically applies the parking brake. No worries about anyone forgetting to press the brake pedal and the cart rolling down a hill.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xaA...ew?usp=sharing
The RXV electric is my favorite golf cart. This model has been around since 2008 and it is still produced today. Not many changes have been made to it over the years other than some minor changes to some of the electronics. The only real problem with the RXV was the original solenoid used for the first couple years of production proved to be defective. That problem was recognized pretty early on and all RXV electric carts after about mid-2009 to early 2010 used a different solenoid — the same one used today. So, if you find yourself with an RXV electric cart that just decides to stop for no reason, or it decides it just doesn’t want to move, you probably need to replace the solenoid. It is an easy and inexpensive swap-out.

The golf cart dealer I use sells, upgrades and services every brand and model of (used) cart there is and, in his opinion, there is no better electric cart than the RXV in any model-year. He wishes more would come available for him to sell, but he said golf clubs rarely sell them because they are so dependable. I do know that whenever he puts one out on the floor, it is gone within days.

Something to put a lot of thought into when purchasing an electric cart is what type of charger to use. You must take good care of your batteries! All of the chargers that come with the carts are basic, at best. The best charger I have found is the Eagle Performance Series by Pro Charging Systems. They are not cheap, but they are worth every penny you pay. Plus, they are made in the USA! Here’s a link to these chargers: http://www.dualpro.com/wp-content/up...ble-Insert.pdf

Bruce

Bruce
Old 01-13-2019, 08:48 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
The RXV electric is my favorite golf cart.

Something to put a lot of thought into when purchasing an electric cart is what type of charger to use. You must take good care of your batteries! All of the chargers that come with the carts are basic, at best. The best charger I have found is the Eagle Performance Series by Pro Charging Systems. They are not cheap, but they are worth every penny you pay. Plus, they are made in the USA! Here’s a link to these chargers: http://www.dualpro.com/wp-content/up...ble-Insert.pdf

Bruce

Bruce

This is interesting I never thought about using any charger other than the one that came with the cart. You are correct about taking care of the batteries.

Our cart is a 2005 Club Car that we purchased in 2010. Our dealer put new batteries in it when we bought it. We do like Trogan batteries the last set lasted 7.5 years. When we bought the new batteries last year our dealer also tested the charger and it was working fine.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:19 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
This is interesting I never thought about using any charger other than the one that came with the cart. You are correct about taking care of the batteries.

Our cart is a 2005 Club Car that we purchased in 2010. Our dealer put new batteries in it when we bought it. We do like Trogan batteries the last set lasted 7.5 years. When we bought the new batteries last year our dealer also tested the charger and it was working fine.

I have never replaced batteries in a golf cart. What led you to believe your batteries were going bad? Were you experiencing less and less runtime, or did you experience something sudden?

Bruce
Old 01-14-2019, 08:25 AM   #48
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Mine is a 2005 EZGo TXT that was built by Cushman as an industrial cart. Had 5 lug wheels (converted to 4) and has hydraulic brakes. Everything is custom on it, paint, ostrich seats, lift. No degenerative braking, so on a downhill, I’ll be seeing ya. [emoji6]. It’s fully licensed and insured in OH, and we can run on any street posted 35mph or less (unless city specifically prohibits it). Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6722.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	194588
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:33 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
I have never replaced batteries in a golf cart. What led you to believe your batteries were going bad? Were you experiencing less and less runtime, or did you experience something sudden?

Bruce
I have always been told golf cart batteries last about 5 -7 years. Ours lasted just over 7.5 years. Several friends had to replace theirs at 5 years. Anyway for us It had been on the charger over 12 hrs. I went to load it up and took it to the trailer and all of a sudden it quit. But the cart seemed to previously run a little slower.

Any way loaded it up took it to the dealer, they checked it, yes they were bad..... they put new Trogans, new cables, they checked everything out and all is good again.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 01-14-2019, 05:48 PM   #50

As I mentioned we bought ours from a dealer in NC (Brad's) it was from a New England golf course........ We got a new body, new long roof, new flip rear seat, new windshield, new batteries, new hub caps, new light kit, used factory charger for $3250. But that was 2010. And a one year warranty. The cart is a 2005. The only thing done to it since 2010 is new batteries last spring, new tires a year ago, a bushing that holds the pedals ( A few bucks and I replaced it in about 10 minutes.

When the batteries were replaced the technician wanted me to sell it to him badly.......... It is only 14 years old just broke in.....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cart3.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	359.8 KB
ID:	194613  

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 01-14-2019, 07:55 PM   #51

Gas carts are becoming more difficult to find these days. Would never own an electric. The Club car DS are nice with an aluminum frame. If you are being forced to purchase electric, than you need to get the newest one you can afford. Big golf courses cycle through carts regularly and we’ve always purchased those.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1335.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	194623Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1334.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	260.2 KB
ID:	194622
kujosp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:14 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimla View Post
If you go to state parks in our area they require insurance and the cart has to registered and they only allow electric carts. Down here what is said is that if they allow gas carts they'd have to allow ATV's. As far as a cart, The club car brand is one of the better ones. As mentioned in one thread, the club car has an aluminum frame. It is made by Ingersol Rand. They have been around for years. They make everything from huge gas compressors, power tools etc. Yamaha is the next best. Depending what you like, you can by a bare bone 2015 Club Car President with 2018 batteries for around $2800.00. If you want more fancy, a 3 to 6 inch lift kit will cost around $300.00. A set of 12 inch wheels with tires $400.00. Light kit with wiring harness $150.00. If you want a different color body that will cost you $450 to $650 depending on the type. If you want a back seat that's $350.00. Ok now that I have your head spinning, you can go to a dealer and get one for a decent price, especially this time of year. You can look on Facebook Market place for them. I just bought one from a dealer. They had it listed for $4999.00 and I got it for $4650.00. What dealers do is buy carts that are coming off lease and they clean them up and put after market parts like lift kits, wheels and tires etc. After researching before I went to dealer, I realized that I could go to a dealer and buy one cheaper than buying a bare bones and buying all the other after market stuff. Hope this thread informs you and others.
I live just outside of BR and camp at several La. state parks, none have denied me use of my gas powered XRT800; most parks state electric only as a way to exclude 4 wheelers and SxSs. As long as it is a 'real' golf cart, they don't care what it runs on.
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:27 PM   #53
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I'll stick with the Cricket. Easy to load in back of my truck with topper and weighs only 300# and will run 30 miles on a charge. Good for 3 days Have not been denied to use in the places Ive been. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:16 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
Ok the thought of buying a golf cart has peaked my interest mainly just to tool around in my rural neighborhood and maybe if I can figure out how to get it to a campground that allows them however, I really don’t even know what to look for. There are quite a few golf cart sales places were where I live near Lake Norman in NC so they seem to be quite popular.

I see prices all over the place from 2K to almost 10K on CL can I get a basic 101 class on what to look for and not look for ? My budget is in the 2K to 4K ballpark. Should I consider a dealer or look for a private sale ?
Buy a rzr
tomswolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:26 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomswolfpack View Post
Buy a rzr
One with newer batteries, mag wheels and tire and back seats, usually go for 4-5000 around BR area
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:37 PM   #56

Golf Cart

Look for a cart with new or newer batteries, good tires, and good interior. Club Car is a good brand and so is Western.There isn’t too much to go wrong with them so get as new as one as you can afford. If you find one that is street legal (brake, tail and head lights, turn signals, and seat belts) is a plus. Side mirrors can be installed for less than $20.

li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
Ok the thought of buying a golf cart has peaked my interest mainly just to tool around in my rural neighborhood and maybe if I can figure out how to get it to a campground that allows them however, I really don’t even know what to look for. There are quite a few golf cart sales places were where I live near Lake Norman in NC so they seem to be quite popular.

I see prices all over the place from 2K to almost 10K on CL can I get a basic 101 class on what to look for and not look for ? My budget is in the 2K to 4K ballpark. Should I consider a dealer or look for a private sale ?
jlynn721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:54 PM   #57

I just purchase a cricket sx3 it fits on the back of the pickup truck with a short bed no problems
carpenter3129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:52 PM   #58

I've had my Cricket SX3 for almost 3 years now and it's perfect for my purposes. Sometimes it's a little tight being so small, but it will carry 4 reasonably sized adults with no problems, and it fits perfectly in my F150 SCREW without making it smaller like you can to put it into an SUV. Just have to remember to put it in the truck BEFORE I hook up the TT. lol (I only had to do that once)

Still haven't needed to replace batteries or repair anything, but getting ready to tear it down and repaint it soon. I also use it around the farm for moving hay/feed, etc. and it stays outside most of the time so the paint is a little faded.

Also works much better than carrying 2 mobility scooters for my elderly parents.
RackOnInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:57 PM   #59

Golf cart

We have a golf cart which if you are interested, we will send pictures. It has six new batteries, nerf bars , custom paint job, Black with red flames, black and red seat, lifted with wide tires and fake chrome rims.
We are in Oregon so you will have to figure out how to get it.
We are asking $3500 and will negotiate if you are interested due to the distance between us.
Ginny Van Loo
ginnyvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:00 PM   #60

Choice of which to buy depends on what you're using it for. I bought a Cricket and a carrier for my Georgetown so I can take it to Fort Wilderness. We go at least once a year and paying Mickey $70.00 a day is a bit pricey. It fits my needs perfectly. However, I can't get a street permit for a nearby town. It has head lights, rear lights, turn signals, and a horn but does NOT have brake lights and that's a requirement.

A few years ago, at the Goshen Rally, there was a Cricket dealer there. My wife isn't going to pay asking price for anything but the dealer didn't have to deal because by the end of the week, he had sold out. I live in east central Illinois and bought it thru a dealer southeast of Indy. It was delivered to my door.

Now, understand that the Crickets do not have much of a suspension so they ride a bit rough but on paved roads, they're alright. I live on a farm, so I have a Gator' to use around the farm.
Ol Poopypants is offline   Reply With Quote