Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2014, 10:19 AM   #21
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

IMHO if you're planning to upgrade the TV, go to a 3/4 ton at least. Nice floor plan for the Flagstaff, we looked at the Hemisphere RES (which is similar) but settled on on the Hemi 282RK.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:57 PM   #22

I've heard you need the 'Artic package' for four season camping. They are suppose to be well insulated. Any camper with the term 'lite or super lite' is not going to be as well insulated as the 'regular campers'. We have 346qbud hemisphere lite. It is nicely insulated with heated underbelly. But I wouldn't want to do deep fall or early spring in for an extended stay. It can get chily. We supplement our gas heater with an electric ceramic heater. We have two 30lb gas cylinders which last about 3 or 4 days & night heating. Good luck - to me the search was half the fun!
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:38 PM   #23

Thanks everyone for the input but we have decided to stick with our current setup. As much as we both love the idea of a bigger camper, we just couldn't bring ourselves to pop for the expense. There are only two of us and we just don't need the space. We want it, but we don't need it.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:20 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacklem View Post
I would like to be able to handle down to the teens for a few days without rupturing pipes and tanks.
Understand you have decided not to upgrade, but keep these couple O' thoughts around JIC you decide to UG your TV:

Forget the V8s - they are ancient technology! Look at the Ecoboost Engine. Our F150 (special order/equipped) can tow 11,700!

While not a true 4 season, park it in a snowbank 5er, our rig (and by extension the one you were looking at I believe) are completely sealed and "insulated" underneath. I use quotes because it is minimal insulation, not what i would callsub-zero insulation. also, the 5er is a ultralight (that's why you can tow it with a 1/2 ton ) so the walls and ceiling will not be heavily insulated like the big rigs towed by the 3/4 & 1T TVs are.

Having said that, with the tank heaters on and if you get the optional fireplace to use with your furnace, I think you would be OK for a few days in a cold climate. Proviso here is location and wind. You want to stay out of the wind as much as possible.

Two more things: if you do this, buy some pipe insulation for your city water hose (if it were me, I would operate off of my fresh water tank and just fill as needed though) and make absolutely sure every time you dump your tanks to the sewer that your outsice sewer hose is completely clear of fliud.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:06 AM   #25
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Just an FYI, the Hemisphere's that advertise the heated underbelly is really nothing more than the underbelly is enclosed by a sheet of expanded waffle board and the "heat" is passive radiant heat from the furnace ductwork, not truely heated tanks or anything like that. While foam insulation is visible where the waste pipes come out through the waffle board, I don't know if there is complere insulation under the trailer.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper