Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2017, 04:54 PM   #1

Looking for new Travel trailer

I'm looking for advice on a new trailer. We sold our kz 19bhs. Now looking for enough room for me my wife and 2 rapid growing kids! We had our eyes on a Salem 27dbk (700 lbs TW & 6500 dry weight). but now have seconds thoughts after the deal fell through. Kind of glad as the current truck we have only has 1600 Payload and tows about 9000 lbs. so with that Being is there any other model someone could recommend. My wife keeps picking our nice ones but the are to heavy most of the time.
Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 05:03 PM   #2
Site Team

That 700lbs "dry" tongue weight could be around 1000lbs, once you add the weights of the WDH, batteries, propane, water and cargo.
That means you only have 600lbs left for for all 4 of you and anything in the Truck.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 05:06 PM   #3

I researched this for two years before making the purchase...

I found that the wife had very little understanding of the weight, length issue and she was drawn to shiny things easily.

Anyway, I found it easiest to find units within mechanical specs and present on the dealers lots first. Then I took the wife to look at those units. When she asked about a trailer that was not on the list, I said it was a no-go (that limited the shiny distractions)

Sorry that's all the help I can offer.
Good luck.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:21 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies, I’m starting to get frustrated with this. I thought this was going to be fun. But it’s more just my wife getting upset because most of the Tongue weights are too heavy.
Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 05:24 PM   #5

Why don't you look at a Shamrock or a Roo. They have room in them when the beds are folded out. They should be light enough for your truck. Just research Hybrids.
and last but not least, our yellow lab Jayda and our chocolate lab, Julia.
Landis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 05:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggs View Post
Thanks for the replies, I’m starting to get frustrated with this. I thought this was going to be fun. But it’s more just my wife getting upset because most of the Tongue weights are too heavy.

Buy a 2500 and open up a lot more options. She gets a shiny new trailer. You get a shiny new truck. It’s a win win.
SlfMdeFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:08 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggs View Post
I'm not saying you can't tow it.
But only you know how much you and your family weighs plus how much stuff you carry in the truck.
If you can travel with empty tanks and not carry a bunch of stuff in the truck, you should be fine.

My TT has a "dry" TW of 620lbs and my truck's payload is 1828lbs.
But there's only the two of us.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 12-16-2017, 06:33 PM   #8

Before we bought our TT, the DW and I attended a local RV expo because we never had one before. Of course, they put all the big six-figure toy haulers and triple axle monsters right up front and we just HAD to go through a few of those first.
Needless to say when we finally got to the units in our price/weight range, the letdown was pretty obvious. The DW was really impressed with the recliners, fireplaces and soaking tubs of the Essex-class 5th wheels , not something you'll find in the typical Micro-Lite.
Regardless, heavy internet research is useful but nothing beats an actual walk-through. Keep an eye open for any expos in your area, just take my advice and try to enter through a back door!
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:20 AM   #9
Insert witty title here

My personal rule of thumb is I won't haul a trailer if it's tongue / pin weight is more than the cargo capacity of my truck-1000lbs. For example, my truck's cargo capacity is 2500lbs. Subtract 1000lbs which give me a maximum tongue / pin weight of 1500lbs. Assuming 15% trailer tongue weight or 20% 5th wheel pin weight, the heaviest trailer for me is 10,000lbs GVWR. The heaviest 5er is 7500lbs.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 04:38 PM   #10

Try looking at Rockwood and Flagstaff travel trailers. There are some nice floorplans that would be towable with your current vehicle. We also have a payload of 1600 and are very careful to have no water in the tanks and carry very little weight in the truck bed. We manage to keep under the payload.
Harris85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:02 PM   #11
Site Team

I agree about the Rockwood/Flagstaff lines.
They are probably the best bang for the buck out there.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:19 PM   #12

We are expecting our Surveyor 265RLDS soon. They also have a 266,RLDS, and they have a 285IKDS that is nice and the weight would work for you. As long as the kids don't mind not having separate bunks. The double slide kitchens are great and the beds also have a full Queen sized sleep compartment. High quality units and I would press for a 25% discount of the MSRP
yakmeat123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 01:27 AM   #13
Novice Travel Trailer Guy

Forest River Micro Lite 25BRDS

Same situation. Perfect fit for our 10 & 12 yr olds. Double bunk. Check it.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 10:16 PM   #14

TT quality

So many brands. So many floor plans.

The only advice I can give is, in my humble opinion, when you make your final selection, before you sign the paperwork: Do not assume everything is new and perfect.

Get up on the roof, crawl around and inspect every seam and seal on the roof for any questionable seals.

Look inside for leaks. Feel the upper inside corners for areas that are soft or rippled.

If you see any potential problems, select a different unit.

These units can sit on a parking lot for months. If there is a faulty seal, you will discover it not long after you buy it. Warranty or not, the fight will wear you out.

Personal experience speaking here.

d
DABoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:49 AM   #15

If you would like a separate bedroom and no murphy bed,
check out Keystone Bullet 243BHS. Same outside kitchen,
large awning, U dinette, etc.
stellaandspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:34 AM   #16

After the 1st, you will be able to find all kinds of RV shows to do some tire kicking at. Even though we're not looking for one, the DW and I will probably hit a few in Jan or Feb on a weekend just for nothing better to do! Personally, I'm in favor of ordering one. You get just what options you want for a mid April to early May delivery. Evaluate your TV capabilities first
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:49 AM   #17

Check the Rockwood Mini Lites. I have seen Micro Lites mentioned above. The Micro and Mini Lites are essentially the same trailer, with some variance in the interior colors and things. I don't have experience with the Micros personally, but I have never heard anything negative about them.

Personal preference may make you lean away from these trailers, depending on what you want in a trailer. Some people want to have a bedroom for themselves. The Micro/Mini line doesn't offer that, you get a murphy bed/couch combo. But you can get a dining table slide, bunks, etc. Give it a peak and see if it interests you. With the sldie out, they are quite roomy inside. Wife and I chose the Mini Lite because we are trying to have kids so we wanted bunks, we also wanted a slide, and we wanted a couch that faced the television (it is remarkable how many RVs have a tv that you cant watch from the couch). There are some other things, but that is the basics. Plus we didn't want a huge trailer (we keep it in a storage lot right down the street from the house and 26' from tongue to bumper was the limit on space). Our 2504S is 25' tongue to bumper, and dry weight (which is useless for anything other than a starting point) is 5,000lbs. For your comparison, our payload is 1600lbs. My suggestion is to take your time. We found the Mini Lites, sort of by accident while searching. Just be patient, and you will find the one that best matches your needs, size, weight, price, etc

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer