Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2019, 05:30 AM   #1

Looking for opinions on damaged trade in

We have a signed purchase agreement with a dealer to buy a new fifth wheel. Part of the deal is trading in our current unit which we live in full time. Since our new unit will not be available for some time we are obviously traveling and living in our current unit until we can pick up the new one. We suffered two blowouts which tore the bottom panel off of the slide on the driver’s side. We will be contacting our insurance company to see how to handle the damage. I’m looking for opinions on how the dealer is going to react to the situation when we inform them of the damage. Part of me feels that they are bound to the deal since they already signed the purchase agreement and it plainly states the amount they are giving us for the trade in. Just wondering what others think. Thanks
Roorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:35 AM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roorider View Post
We have a signed purchase agreement with a dealer to buy a new fifth wheel. Part of the deal is trading in our current unit which we live in full time. Since our new unit will not be available for some time we are obviously traveling and living in our current unit until we can pick up the new one. We suffered two blowouts which tore the bottom panel off of the slide on the driver’s side. We will be contacting our insurance company to see how to handle the damage. I’m looking for opinions on how the dealer is going to react to the situation when we inform them of the damage. Part of me feels that they are bound to the deal since they already signed the purchase agreement and it plainly states the amount they are giving us for the trade in. Just wondering what others think. Thanks
I hear your story, however, if you were all set to buy a unit, and the unit had suffered some level of damage since the condition it was at the time of the deal being signed, how would you feel?
Is there any statement hidden in the fine print on page 47 which states conditions of units involved shall not change since deal was made?
Just sayin’.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
I hear your story, however, if you were all set to buy a unit, and the unit had suffered some level of damage since the condition it was at the time of the deal being signed, how would you feel?
Is there any statement hidden in the fine print on page 47 which states conditions of units involved shall not change since deal was made?
Just sayin’.
Thanks for your opinion. Don’t see anything in the fine print regarding this. We thought that once we received the insurance to repair the damage we would ask the dealer whether they wanted us to get the repairs done or deduct the cost from the agreed upon trade in value.
Roorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:59 AM   #4

That would be your best bet to do. Let the dealer decide. Insurance approval will show good intent!
Old 07-23-2019, 09:04 AM   #5
Always Learning

If it’s fixed before you trade it, no big deal.

If it’s not fixed before you trade it, you need to have a discussion with the dealer.

The price that is “plainly” in your agreement was for the unit in non-damaged condition (or with whatever you disclosed at the time). To assume they would give you the same unit with $1-3,000 of damage is not reasonable, IMO.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:25 PM   #6

We had a similar situation We assigned the issue to the dealer and the insurance company just paid them. The dealer was even kind enough to waive the deductible, but I doubt that's the norm.
helferdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:37 PM   #7

Depends on the dealer.......... some will not give you the agreed on price but may change the value to what the camper is now worth as a trade.

I can see the dealer backing out all together. If the camper is not worth much as trade may not be as much problem. Too many variable to give a good guess.

I really do not know how you would think that any reasonable dealer would say oh well we will still give you the same price.

Good Luck

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:01 PM   #8

No matter if you got an offer amount for trade in from a dealer sight unseen or with a brief over look by the sales associate; they will still send their "designated" trade in guy out to fine comb it and try like hell to knock off lots of dollars on their original offer on paper. They really beat you up. Be ready to walk. You have to be firm, tell them to their face that's BS and gather your things up. Anything they can look up and depreciate your trade they will do. Not saying they won't let you walk, because it is a sellers market these days. But you decide if you are going to be treated that way and agree to the new offer or Not.

As far as new damage done since they gave you an offer, a blowout and tearing away a skirt or under carriage under your ownership will lessen the amount a buyer is willing to pay. So that part will probably result in a new offer.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:58 PM   #9

If you were going to buy a car and made a deal on having no damage; and then when you went to pick it up, the front end was smashed. What would you do? I guarantee some where on the trade appraisal it will say subject to viewing trade. They will have to assess the damage and come up with an amount. Their shop will charge so much an hour and there will be parts. and as we all know, RV parts are expensive.
Max Tow (10 speed, 3:73, 11,700lbs), HD Payload (2440lbs)
2015 Puma 253 FBS
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe
2000 Honda EX 400, Rad Rover 6 Plus
Palinduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinduff View Post
If you were going to buy a car and made a deal on having no damage; and then when you went to pick it up, the front end was smashed. What would you do? I guarantee some where on the trade appraisal it will say subject to viewing trade. They will have to assess the damage and come up with an amount. Their shop will charge so much an hour and there will be parts. and as we all know, RV parts are expensive.
Agreed!
Old 07-23-2019, 04:36 PM   #11
Enjoying Life

Quote:

They gave a good faith deal unseen and on your word. Work with them, if their honest they will work it out.
I had a trade once where we made the deal and on the way to deliver my trade one wall detached from the outside(unknown water damage). When I got to the dealer we looked it over and agreed on a new trade value. The dealer then helped deal with the insurance company on the claim. When it was all over I actually got more back than the original deal.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:40 PM   #12
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
No matter if you got an offer amount for trade in from a dealer sight unseen or with a brief over look by the sales associate; they will still send their "designated" trade in guy out to fine comb it and try like hell to knock off lots of dollars on their original offer on paper. They really beat you up. Be ready to walk. You have to be firm, tell them to their face that's BS and gather your things up. Anything they can look up and depreciate your trade they will do. Not saying they won't let you walk, because it is a sellers market these days. But you decide if you are going to be treated that way and agree to the new offer or Not.

As far as new damage done since they gave you an offer, a blowout and tearing away a skirt or under carriage under your ownership will lessen the amount a buyer is willing to pay. So that part will probably result in a new offer.

Wow, on my last trade, the dealer did not even look at my trade. When we got there they brought the new one up and we transferred all our stuff from the old one and they took the trade to the back lot. Never any mention of looking it over to make sure it was okay.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:18 PM   #13

Quote:
<<SNIP>> Part of me feels that they are bound to the deal since they already signed the purchase agreement and it plainly states the amount they are giving us for the trade in. <<SNIP>>
At what point does the devaluation of your trade reach the level where the deal falls through and the dealer is no longer obligated to eat a loss? I'm pretty sure you're well beyond that point.

If the insurance company and a repair shop bring it back up to the standard prior to the accident - and you eat the deductible - your deal should be fine. If the dealer is willing to work with your insurance company to perform the repairs themselves - and you eat the deductible - your deal should be fine.

As for the dealer being "bound to the deal," if this is a professional dealership, you can be quite sure that the boilerplate contracts they use include any number of escape clauses for just this kind of situation.

2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:40 PM   #14

When we traded in our old camper for the current one the dealer gave us a sight unseen trade in value based on my very honest description of the unit.

That description included the delamination that I had repaired myself.

When we took it in to pick up the new one they never even looked at ours before we completed the deal and drove out with the new one.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:27 AM   #15

Offer the dealer the insurance check. He will accept it. Getting it "fixed" beforehand will work against you. Dealerships, break their business up into parts for "reasons unknown". the sales manager has nothing to do with parts or repairs. he has to ask how much to fix it, just as you do. You decide what's fair (only you can do that).
tonys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:55 AM   #16
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Accidents happen.

Contact the dealer and tell them exactly what happened, provide pictures if necessary and let them know you've contacted your insurance company to have it repaired and see what the dealer says.

You had no control over it happening, nor did the dealer.
Whatever the outcome, so be it.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote