Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2018, 09:31 PM   #1

Looking for Sympathy

Trying to find our campground, got lost in Hot Springs, Arkansas. Found a low bridge, 11.6 ft and I'm 13+. Had to back down a small road and turn around.

My F350 found a telephone pole on the right side. Broke off the mirror, shattered window and some body damage.

Not a good day, and the wife's attitude makes it worse. Some days I just need to stay home.

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:35 PM   #2

I feel for you brother.
Locky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:41 PM   #3

Dang. I feel for you too man. Is that bridge a RR bridge on the N. side of Hot Springs after you drive thru Downtown after you pass the bath houses. If so, I know exactly where that is. My family has a house on Lake Hamilton.
Hope the rest of your trip goes better.
vmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:57 PM   #4

I feel awful for you. Unfortunately while wives can be replaced, the same can't be said for trucks because they cost so much.

So far to date in 10 years I have:

$8000 of damage to truck when 5th wheel contacted bed sides while I was towing offroad. I've now doubled the clearance so I should be ok when towing off road again.

Hit a tree branch at 1am pulling into my Dad's subdivision. I got a new roof out of it, I think I got $8000 for it from insurance.

Hit another tree branch pulling out of a boondock camp site that we've used for years with tow trailers but the fiver is a bit taller. This tree strike ripped the rear wall partially off on the left side.

Backed my SUV into my trailer's bumper. I thought I had cleared it but the only thing I cleared was $900 from my wallet for a new SUV bumper with paint.

I agree, some days it feels like I should have stayed home, but where would be the fun in that?
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
I feel awful for you. Unfortunately while wives can be replaced, the same can't be said for trucks because they cost so much.

$8000 of damage to truck when 5th wheel contacted bed sides while I was towing offroad. I've now doubled the clearance so I should be ok when towing off road again.

Hit a tree branch at 1am pulling into my Dad's subdivision. I got a new roof out of it, I think I got $8000 for it from insurance.

Hit another tree branch pulling out of a boondock camp site that we've used for years with tow trailers but the fiver is a bit taller. This tree strike ripped the rear wall partially off on the left side.

Backed my SUV into my trailer's bumper. I thought I had cleared it but the only thing I cleared was $900 from my wallet for a new SUV bumper with paint.

I agree, some days it feels like I should have stayed home, but where would be the fun in that?
Thanks, I know I'm not alone with this. LOL

Old 05-04-2018, 10:00 PM   #6

Wait.

You live in Mt. Home and you go to Hot Springs to camp? Why, are you 200 years old? LOL

Go to Norfolk, Beaver, Bull Shoals, somewhere..........but not Hot Springs.

That said, Big Sympathy For You.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Wait.

You live in Mt. Home and you go to Hot Springs to camp? Why, are you 200 years old? LOL

Go to Norfolk, Beaver, Bull Shoals, somewhere..........but not Hot Springs.

That said, Big Sympathy For You.
Dealer rally. Love Mtn Home.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post

Roberte52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 11:45 AM   #9

Stuff happens and if my embarrassing situations prevent others from doing the same, then it was worth sharing.

It is surprising how many subdivisions have low hanging tree branches on streets. Also, many busy side streets in my area have low hanging branches.

Could be worse, my neighbor destroyed the roof on his brand new 41 foot 5th wheel on its way from the dealer. He snagged a tree branch in one of our subdivision's entrances.

Did I mention I had a trailer totaled by hail damage once too?

I don't consider myself unlucky. I own ATVs, snowmobiles, and a motorcycle with no issues. I've got friends that total their sleds every winter and ATVs every summer.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:01 PM   #10

Feel for ya..I don't drive much. Last time I did I put a 1 inch scratch on truck when I hit a small sign my mirrors were "hiding". Every time we wash the truck that gets pointed out to me
Old 05-05-2018, 12:16 PM   #11

Today the trailers gods were watching over me. I brought the 5er home from storage to get it ready for 1st trip. My mind was not in tune with what I was doing. I backed into the driveway, put the wheel chock in place, placed the front jack wood squares down....but....forgot to lower the jacks. Got into the truck and pulled away from the 5er. Ok I'm away from the 5th wheel with the king pin. Now I wanted to pull away just a bit and clear the king pin, stop and make sure the king pin was clear of my sewage tote that is in the back of the box. I heard a noise stopped to look and found I had cleared the king pin ...but....because I forgot to lower the front jacks....the king pin box was now resting on the tote which started to collapse & therefore the 5er was resting on the truck box sides. I looked in amazement and then realized what I hadn't done. I looked at the sides of the box and they weren't dented. Oh crap what am I going to say to my wife if there is any damage. She's left handed and French. I need not say more. So I dropped the jacks down, got the 5er up far enough to back into the king pin again and then did things right. Nothing damaged, not even the tote so nothing said to DW. Going to buy lottery tickets shortly.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:35 PM   #12

Great story and thanks for sharing your bit of luck! I'm of the age now that I need a checklist for everything or I will forget!

False hitching of 5th wheels seems to be a little common. I learned a tip that when hooking up, only retract the front landing gear about an inch. After hitching up, I pull forward and slam on brakes to ensure all hitched up good. Don't forget to retract them completely after you've confirmed a good hitch up.