Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2011, 06:38 AM   #41

Oh I know the Ecoboost might be "rated" to pull that much, but I am more inclined to think 'real world' situations. Remember, that is a 3.5 liter V6. Until that engine is proven, I wouldn't be pushing my luck if I owned one. A close friend has the new Ecoboost, and is pulling a 6500 lb (dry) KZ fifth, and while he says it pulls fine, he definitely knows the camper is behind him. He drives semis quite a bit, so that comment tells me that he feels he is pulling enough weight at 6500 lbs.
My Flagstaff is 7500 lbs dry, and it is just about right for my F250, as there are definitely times when I am very aware of it being back there.
Yes, we could all pull at max weight under ideal conditions, but what happens when conditions are not ideal? I have seen more than a few drivers come in off the highway with the blood drained from their faces and a look of shock in their eyes. I would prefer to not go there.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:51 AM   #42

Crocus, i am looking forward to traveling south with mine after Christmas. Getting away from these bumpy Michigan roads and driving in other states that actually maintain theirs should be enjoyable for a change !! Less stress on my truck and me ( I hope ) . We dont have much choice but to "feel" our rigs behind our tow vehicles.
dretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:28 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dretired View Post
Crocus, i am looking forward to traveling south with mine after Christmas. Getting away from these bumpy Michigan roads and driving in other states that actually maintain theirs should be enjoyable for a change !! Less stress on my truck and me ( I hope ) . We dont have much choice but to "feel" our rigs behind our tow vehicles.

I am much more comfortable "feeling" that the rig is there than not "feeling" it . I pull with a Dodge 1500 quad cab with 5.7 hemi and 3.92 gears and I sure do know the rig is there. I know I am at or exceeding the trucks towing capacities. That is why I drive with due caution and control and will avoid all dangerous conditions if possible. The guys with 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks may feel more confident in their trucks capabilities but they usually pull bigger rigs and are also at the trucks towing limits. Thinking they are safer in a 3/4 ton , they just barrel down the road not "feeling" their rigs. Those are the ones I try to avoid. Sure, I could have bought a 3/4 ton pickup, but then I would likely buy a bigger camper, so I am no further ahead. I think one of the biggest factors in the trucks ability to tow safely is the guy/gal sitting behind the wheel. I said it before and I say it again. Some of these guys/gals shouldn't be driving a Corolla, let alone 8 - 10 tons of moving real estate. nuff said.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bent