Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2011, 07:00 AM   #1
Snowsail

Looking to buy a FW.. concerened about bent frames on rear kithcen

I've read a few posts on rear kitchens being more prone to frame bending than central kitchens. Is there any truth to this? I'm looking to buy a flagstaff 8528 RKWS or Rockwood 8280 WS.
Snowsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:15 AM   #2

First I've heard of that.
We've only had ours for 10½ months. Love the floorplan and no problems so far.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:50 AM   #3

Those models are lightweights, and the frames are correspondingly light as well. FR doesn't want anyone putting a hitch on the rear of the camper because of the added weight, so I would wonder about having the fridge and the pantry right at the back. Just imagine the weight in a full fridge and loaded pantry! Yikes!
Take a look at the Rockwood 8288WS or Flagstaff equivalent. That rear living area is awesome, and everyone that sees our camper loves it. And it puts the kitchen weight right over the axles. That definitely removes the worry about tweaking the frame and the resulting issues that would create.
Remember that these are lightweight campers, and anything one can do to eliminate stress on the unit is well worth it in the end.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
Those models are lightweights, and the frames are correspondingly light as well. FR doesn't want anyone putting a hitch on the rear of the camper because of the added weight, so I would wonder about having the fridge and the pantry right at the back. Just imagine the weight in a full fridge and loaded pantry! Yikes!
Take a look at the Rockwood 8288WS or Flagstaff equivalent. That rear living area is awesome, and everyone that sees our camper loves it. And it puts the kitchen weight right over the axles. That definitely removes the worry about tweaking the frame and the resulting issues that would create.
Remember that these are lightweight campers, and anything one can do to eliminate stress on the unit is well worth it in the end.

I second this. We have the Flagstaff 8528CKWS, with central kitchen and beautiful rear living area. Very spacious and functional. If you are looking at either one of these I would suggest a look at the Durango D295CS made by KZ. It was our first choice, but couldn't make the deal I wanted on that one. It may be a bit heavier but the hitch weight is lighter.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:32 AM   #5

Just a few notes on the Durango. While definitely a quality product, they only use aluminum framing in the walls, and there is a step up beside the bed, so if you are tall, it means banging your head on the ceiling. That also results in a smaller basement, reducing its usefullness.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:22 AM   #6
Snowsail

Thank's guys for the info, i'll look into those models. I have a brand new F-150 EB, with the tow package. I should be good for 2080lbs on the pin.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:47 AM   #7

Like I stated above, I've never actually heard or read a post where anyone had a problem with a rear kitchen model bending the frame and even though we've had ours less than a year, I haven't seen any problem in this area at all.
I would think that a hitch attached to the bumber or frame would be completely different than weight sitting on top of the frame.

I wouldn't worry about it and if the rear kitchen floorplan is what you and your wife like, then I say go for it.
The rear kitchen models do give you more couterspace. My wife really likes it. Everything is close by and handy when she's cooking.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:04 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Wow, Gary - that's a beautiful camper!

RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:40 AM   #9
Snowsail

Great lookin TT, we really like the colors too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
Like I stated above, I've never actually heard or read a post where anyone had a problem with a rear kitchen model bending the frame and even though we've had ours less than a year, I haven't seen any problem in this area at all.
I would think that a hitch attached to the bumber or frame would be completely different than weight sitting on top of the frame.

I wouldn't worry about it and if the rear kitchen floorplan is what you and your wife like, then I say go for it.
The rear kitchen models do give you more couterspace. My wife really likes it. Everything is close by and handy when she's cooking.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:17 PM   #10

"I would think that a hitch attached to the bumper or frame would be completely different than weight sitting on top of the frame."
--------------------------------------------------------------------
While an equal weight inside the camper would be better than on the very end of the frame, weight is weight. And there have been posts on this forum about this issue.
While the rear kitchen does give more counterspace, it is at the expense of the living area. It seems everything is a compromise when dealing with such limited space. We looked at both floorplans, but realised that having a larger living area away from the door was much more important than a couple of square feet of counterspace. From the reaction we get from others who look at our camper, it would seem that most agree. Besides, our table is right across from the kitchen, and easily doubles as a work space when needed.

One thing though, snowsail, with the F150 EB, you may want to minimize your pin weight, so the rear kitchen may be a plus in regard to that, as they are much lighter on the front end. But then again, that extra weight on the axles will max them out, as they are only 4000# rated (unless they have changed that). I always weigh the pluses against the minuses, and that usually results in the best decision.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:15 PM   #11

Quote:
"I would think that a hitch attached to the bumper or frame would be completely different than weight sitting on top of the frame."
While an equal weight inside the camper would be better than on the very end of the frame, weight is weight. And there have been posts on this forum about this issue.
While the rear kitchen does give more counterspace, it is at the expense of the living area. It seems everything is a compromise when dealing with such limited space. We looked at both floorplans, but realised that having a larger living area away from the door was much more important than a couple of square feet of counterspace. From the reaction we get from others who look at our camper, it would seem that most agree. Besides, our table is right across from the kitchen, and easily doubles as a work space when needed.
Completely different forces at work with weight on a hitch off the back end than the weight sitting directly on top of the frame. I know there have been numerous posts about hitches, but if you could post a link to the thread or threads about rear kitchens causing the frames to bend (OP's original question) I would appreciate it. Because I missed them and I haven't been able to locate any.

If you do have any factual information stating that the rear kitchen models have caused frame damage due to the weight at the rear of the frame I would truly appreciate it if you would post that info. I would consider it valuable info since I own one.

I'm not sure what rear kitchen tt's you've looked at, but apparently you haven't looked at a Prime Time LaCrosse 303RKS. You certainly don't have to give up any living area with my rear kitchen model. Especially with the 40 cu ft MAX Slide, largest slide found on any tt. I can also guarantee there are no compromises.

WOW! is usually the first word people say when stepping in the tt for the first time. Then they comment on how much room there is in the living area.

Here's a couple of views out the side window where you can see out under your awning instead of the camper parked behind you.

303RKS Floorplan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	303RKS Floorplan.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	8071  
Old 09-17-2011, 01:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
Completely different forces at work with weight on a hitch off the back end than the weight sitting directly on top of the frame. I know there have been numerous posts about hitches, but if you could post a link to the thread or threads about rear kitchens causing the frames to bend (OP's original question) I would appreciate it. Because I missed them and I haven't been able to locate any.

I'm not sure what rear kitchen tt's you've looked at, but apparently you haven't looked at a Prime Time LaCrosse 303RKS. You certainly don't have to give up any living area with my rear kitchen model. Especially with the 40 cu ft MAX Slide, largest slide found on any tt. I can also guarantee there are no compromises.

WOW! is usually the first word people say when stepping in the tt for the first time. Then they comment on how much room there is in the living area.

Here's a couple of views out the side window where you can see out under your awning instead of the camper parked behind you.

303RKS Floorplan

Its no doubt you have a beautiful camper, and you strongly recommend the Prime Time, but I think the OP was looking for a fifth wheel. I have no brand loyalities, that's why I recommend looking at the Durango but as Crocus pointed out, I was not impressed with the step up by the bed even though I'm only a short ass, nor did I like the reduced basement storage. Just thought I would offer it as an option. Again, like Crocus, everyone who visit our camper is impressed with the layout, the living space ( we do spend more time in the living space than cooking) and they wish they went the route we did.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 09-17-2011, 01:37 PM   #13

PICS of Flagstaff 8528CKWS

Flagstaff 8528CKWS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1235.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	8072   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011_04_22_018.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	8073   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011_04_22_019.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	8074   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011_04_22_021.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	8075   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011_04_22_022.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	8076  

2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 09-17-2011, 02:28 PM   #14

Hi rugged, that is a really nice unit. I see you also have the atrium windows. gotta love those!
I am not sure why grhodes thinks this is some kind of contest, but everyone else is trying to provide a balanced reply. There is no doubt that Prime Time makes a nice camper, but there is lots of choice out there. I especially liked his comment "Here's a couple of views out the side window where you can see out under your awning instead of the camper parked behind you.", as if he never has a camper parked beside him? And is that some kind of childish slam against our campers?

And his assertion that somehow weight inside the camper has no relation to weight on the rear of the frame is simply wrong. I am a structural engineer, so won't be wasting any more time arguing about it.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:57 PM   #15

Alright. I'll admit that I made a few comments I shouldn't have. Because of my lack of communication skills they came out different than I meant. I thought all my comments referred to my trailer and not any others. I appologize for that.

I wasn't trying to start any kind of contest and I wasn't intentionally putting down any brand or type of trailer. I honestly felt I was defending my floorplan. The OP's question was about rear kitchens having any adverse effects on trailer frames. I read the following posts as they do, but without any proof. Then it turned into how the rear kitchens take away from the living area and so forth. So I guess I felt a little offended by that.

I believe everyone has a right to their own opinion, but it should be stated clearly that it's just an opinion. Especially when it comes to structual issues on trailers. Otherwise people seeking advise will walk away taking opinions as facts. That's why I asked if you have any info that factually backs up your viewpoint that rear kitchen models can damage the frame. Like I said, I own one and that would be valuable info for me.

Rugged Brown, that is a very nice camper. Thanks for sharing the pics. I've been told by salesmen that the rear living floorplan is the most popular.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:18 PM   #16

grhodes, if you had accepted the posts for the well-balanced views they were, you wouldn't have reacted negatively. You have a very nice camper, and you seem to like it a lot, so that is all that matters. In my posts I was clear that I was talking about my preferences. As far as my comment about the rear kitchen taking away living room space, that is simply a fact, as how can you add something without losing something else on the same floor plan?
But you are correct that we strayed away from the original question. But my concern remains that if I had a rear kitchen in my Flagstaff, and I loaded the fridge, the pantry, and the other cupboards like I do now, that would be a heck of a lot of weight back there. Combine that with lots of miles on bad roads, and you can imagine the flexing and resulting fatigue on not just the frame, but the whole structure. These campers are not built that great.
I suppose the problem is that I am a structural engineer, so am very sensitive to under-designed products. And that is an issue with these lightweight campers. The heavier and more expensive ones have much heavier frames. grhodes, have you looked at the frame under your camper? I don't mean to scare you, but unless PT uses heavier I-beams than FR uses on the Flagstaffs, they are incredibly light.
If I did really offend you in any way, I do apologise. And I am jealous of that great view you have out the living room window! I haven't been to many campgrounds that offered such a nice panorama.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:19 PM   #17
Snowsail

Quote:

One thing though, snowsail, with the F150 EB, you may want to minimize your pin weight, so the rear kitchen may be a plus in regard to that, as they are much lighter on the front end. But then again, that extra weight on the axles will max them out, as they are only 4000# rated (unless they have changed that). I always weigh the pluses against the minuses, and that usually results in the best decision.
Yup the pin weight made me choose the rear kitchen, i'll look into the maximum axle weight Thanks Crocus.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:36 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Don't be scared Gary because we normally do spec in larger I Beams than many of our competitors and yours is a 10".
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:36 PM   #19
Grape Escape

No problems with rear kitchens. I would rather not sit at rear of 5th wheel and have to look thru center kitchen to watch the tv. Also much more cupboard space with the rear kitchen layout.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:43 PM   #20
Site Team

There were several good points provided from the various viewpoints. My brother and s-i-l had a FW with a rear corner kitchen that worked well. His widow had to sell it but before my brother passed away they got a good 5 years out of it without any problems to the frame.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bent