Old 09-17-2011, 08:00 AM   #1
Snowsail

Looking to buy a FW.. concerened about bent frames on rear kithcen

I've read a few posts on rear kitchens being more prone to frame bending than central kitchens. Is there any truth to this? I'm looking to buy a flagstaff 8528 RKWS or Rockwood 8280 WS.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:15 AM   #2

First I've heard of that.
We've only had ours for 10 months. Love the floorplan and no problems so far.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:50 AM   #3

Those models are lightweights, and the frames are correspondingly light as well. FR doesn't want anyone putting a hitch on the rear of the camper because of the added weight, so I would wonder about having the fridge and the pantry right at the back. Just imagine the weight in a full fridge and loaded pantry! Yikes!
Take a look at the Rockwood 8288WS or Flagstaff equivalent. That rear living area is awesome, and everyone that sees our camper loves it. And it puts the kitchen weight right over the axles. That definitely removes the worry about tweaking the frame and the resulting issues that would create.
Remember that these are lightweight campers, and anything one can do to eliminate stress on the unit is well worth it in the end.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
Those models are lightweights, and the frames are correspondingly light as well. FR doesn't want anyone putting a hitch on the rear of the camper because of the added weight, so I would wonder about having the fridge and the pantry right at the back. Just imagine the weight in a full fridge and loaded pantry! Yikes!
Take a look at the Rockwood 8288WS or Flagstaff equivalent. That rear living area is awesome, and everyone that sees our camper loves it. And it puts the kitchen weight right over the axles. That definitely removes the worry about tweaking the frame and the resulting issues that would create.
Remember that these are lightweight campers, and anything one can do to eliminate stress on the unit is well worth it in the end.

I second this. We have the Flagstaff 8528CKWS, with central kitchen and beautiful rear living area. Very spacious and functional. If you are looking at either one of these I would suggest a look at the Durango D295CS made by KZ. It was our first choice, but couldn't make the deal I wanted on that one. It may be a bit heavier but the hitch weight is lighter.
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:32 AM   #5

Just a few notes on the Durango. While definitely a quality product, they only use aluminum framing in the walls, and there is a step up beside the bed, so if you are tall, it means banging your head on the ceiling. That also results in a smaller basement, reducing its usefullness.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:22 AM   #6
Snowsail

Thank's guys for the info, i'll look into those models. I have a brand new F-150 EB, with the tow package. I should be good for 2080lbs on the pin.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:47 AM   #7

Like I stated above, I've never actually heard or read a post where anyone had a problem with a rear kitchen model bending the frame and even though we've had ours less than a year, I haven't seen any problem in this area at all.
I would think that a hitch attached to the bumber or frame would be completely different than weight sitting on top of the frame.

I wouldn't worry about it and if the rear kitchen floorplan is what you and your wife like, then I say go for it.
The rear kitchen models do give you more couterspace. My wife really likes it. Everything is close by and handy when she's cooking.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Wow, Gary - that's a beautiful camper!

Old 09-17-2011, 12:40 PM   #9
Snowsail

Great lookin TT, we really like the colors too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
Like I stated above, I've never actually heard or read a post where anyone had a problem with a rear kitchen model bending the frame and even though we've had ours less than a year, I haven't seen any problem in this area at all.
I would think that a hitch attached to the bumber or frame would be completely different than weight sitting on top of the frame.

I wouldn't worry about it and if the rear kitchen floorplan is what you and your wife like, then I say go for it.
The rear kitchen models do give you more couterspace. My wife really likes it. Everything is close by and handy when she's cooking.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:17 PM   #10

"I would think that a hitch attached to the bumper or frame would be completely different than weight sitting on top of the frame."
--------------------------------------------------------------------
While an equal weight inside the camper would be better than on the very end of the frame, weight is weight. And there have been posts on this forum about this issue.
While the rear kitchen does give more counterspace, it is at the expense of the living area. It seems everything is a compromise when dealing with such limited space. We looked at both floorplans, but realised that having a larger living area away from the door was much more important than a couple of square feet of counterspace. From the reaction we get from others who look at our camper, it would seem that most agree. Besides, our table is right across from the kitchen, and easily doubles as a work space when needed.

One thing though, snowsail, with the F150 EB, you may want to minimize your pin weight, so the rear kitchen may be a plus in regard to that, as they are much lighter on the front end. But then again, that extra weight on the axles will max them out, as they are only 4000# rated (unless they have changed that). I always weigh the pluses against the minuses, and that usually results in the best decision.

Tags
bent