Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2014, 08:29 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by big green hat View Post
And I have the XLR Thunderbolt and wish I had something smaller! lol Have only used it twice and haven't really added our personal touch to it yet because it's "too big" to park at our house! I think once we can get in there and do our decorating and arrange things the way "I" want them, then it will be ok. Sleeps 10 though!!
BGH, your TH is a big girl that's for sure. If I needed to sleep more than 2, it might be justified. I don't want to buy again and get something that I will be sorry for a few months later.... like wishing I had gone smaller or... larger. The Hyperlite 30HFS5 is small for a 5er, IMO, but not too big (I think). I would think a 5er would be so much better to pull that a big travel trailer TH and wonder if this fact alone should push me in that direction. It does have more storage and capacity not to mention a 5.5K Onan installed. The down side it they are so dang tall and nearly 2000# heavier. If (biggest word in the English language) the slide-out dinette was wider and nicer, or the recliner option was as nice as what I've seen in the Torgue or Carbon, I could overlook the height issue, but alas. I can park a 5er at home, but will have to figure out how to jack up the canopy I already have (that will fit the 29HFS perfectly) for the 5er. I wish my Daddy were here to tell me what to do...
__________________

__________________
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:25 AM   #12
Phat Phrogs Incognito...
 
DutchF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: North Central Texas
Posts: 200
LOL!

We had us (wife and self), 4 daughters and pets.
Started with:
  • 1971 Pinto Station Wagon (that was fun)
  • 4 Person Tent (yeah that was fun too)
  • 17' Hybrid (2001 Dutchmen Sport Lite)
Drop the daughters (grew up and moved out), but add some grandkids and now 4 dogs and 2 birds!
  • 36' Travel Trailer (2010 Keystone Sprinter 318FLS)
New job that requires a separate "office area" and now mostly just Wife, 4 dogs and I.
  • 40' Fifth Wheel (2014 Columbus 365RL)

Like someone said. Go big! We did, and went "residential" because we can go for months at a time, as I have a job where I can work from the RV.

__________________

__________________

Tina + Dutch and Bell, Bobo, Harley, Buddy (the dogs)
2011 F350 Lariat 4x4 DRW SuperCrew 6.7L (B&W setup w/Air Lift 5000 Ultimate)
2014 Columbus 365RL (Airflex and Voyager package)
Nights Camped 2014 - 154, 2015 - 32, 2016 - 4
DutchF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:51 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchF View Post
LOL!

We had us (wife and self), 4 daughters and pets.
Started with:
  • 1971 Pinto Station Wagon (that was fun)
  • 4 Person Tent (yeah that was fun too)
  • 17' Hybrid (2001 Dutchmen Sport Lite)
Drop the daughters (grew up and moved out), but add some grandkids and now 4 dogs and 2 birds!
  • 36' Travel Trailer (2010 Keystone Sprinter 318FLS)
New job that requires a separate "office area" and now mostly just Wife, 4 dogs and I.
  • 40' Fifth Wheel (2014 Columbus 365RL)

Like someone said. Go big! We did, and went "residential" because we can go for months at a time, as I have a job where I can work from the RV.

My first camping experience; a two-man tent or any tent, does not count, for whatever reason. I found a well used, rusty, manual folding tent camper / trailer for $150. The canvas was perfect, but the body was rusted, so I bondo'ed it; painted it with Rustoleum and a brush... put on some new tires (8" wheels). The TV was a 66 Myers Manx dune buggy (VW) that I fabricated a hitch using the bash plate, reinforced it by added some steel, all properly engineered... and mounted a ball on it. The crew was me, wife, 2 kids (probably 5 and 6 yo) and a 75# German Shepard. The 'coach' had a large 'basement' that fit all our stuff.... stuff that won't fit didn't go! No electric, no heat, no 'nothin'. We went to the Smokies without a clue! And, bottom line had an absolute ball! Makin Memories! I won't do this again, but it shows me that simple and affordable is better and having fun doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg.
__________________
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:12 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 139
I wanted a bigger trailer, but my problem is that bigger toy haulers all have toy garages, which is not what I want. Right now I have a 14' garage, but in all the others it's usually 10' and the rare 12' garage. Makes it difficult to fit all of today's toys as well as the ones we'll get in the future.
__________________
TV: 2013 Ram 2500 4x4 mega cab w/6.7l Cummins
Trailer: 2013 Palomino Puma 27SBU
bitNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:23 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: imperial ne
Posts: 138
We want the toy garage. I'm not fond of pulling our Polaris into the living area. But at the time the grey wolf was what we could safely pull with our half ton chevy

Sent from my VK810 4G using Forest River Forums mobile app
__________________
nducker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:15 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Taranwanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NEPA
Posts: 1,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
... The Hyperlite 30HFS5 is small for a 5er, IMO, but not too big (I think). I would think a 5er would be so much better to pull that a big travel trailer TH and wonder if this fact alone should push me in that direction. It does have more storage and capacity not to mention a 5.5K Onan installed. The down side it they are so dang tall and nearly 2000# heavier. If (biggest word in the English language) the slide-out dinette was wider and nicer, or the recliner option was as nice as what I've seen in the Torgue or Carbon, I could overlook the height issue, but alas. I can park a 5er at home, but will have to figure out how to jack up the canopy I already have (that will fit the 29HFS perfectly) for the 5er. I wish my Daddy were here to tell me what to do...
This was exactly my thinking in ordering the 30hfs5...it's "small" for a 5th wheel (compared to some of the Raptors I looked at first,) and the weight, even loaded with 2 Harleys, is still manageable. It's almost 2000# heavier than the Salem I have now, but I'm really anxious to see how it tows behind the Dodge 2500...I've been told it will tow better than the bumper pull Salem. I just hope it shows up soon so I can find out!

Btw, for your "tall being a downside" issue: if you're talking about one of those canopies with a frame that sits on the ground, you could always put down a run or two (or however many you need) of concrete block to raise the base up and make the whole thing as tall as you want. You could even get all fancy and place threaded anchors in the blocks and mortar them in place to anchor the frame. Good luck!
__________________
2015 XLR Hyperlite 30HFS5 (mods being performed regularly)
2009 Salem LA 292fkds (gone)
Nights- ('12)23 ('13)23 ('14)15 ('15)31 ('16)27 ('17) 20
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:56 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 63
We just bought our fifth camper in a little over 4 years. Dealer told us on the first one to buy what we wanted and not worry about what others thought we need. We finally learned.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Forest River Forums mobile app
__________________
kssportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:30 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: imperial ne
Posts: 138
yea we are young and inexperienced at campers. we are hoping this next one will be the last for a while
__________________
nducker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:36 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
BamaBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Whereever our Berkshire is Parked!
Posts: 6,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by nducker23 View Post
yea we are young and inexperienced at campers. we are hoping this next one will be the last for a while
Skip everything and go to a 40' Motorhome+TOAD Trailer & avoid the upgrades...that's where most folks end up anyhow
__________________
Bob & Anne-Marie [BamaBob & 6 Actual]
| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego Bikes |
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:32 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
This was exactly my thinking in ordering the 30hfs5...it's "small" for a 5th wheel (compared to some of the Raptors I looked at first,) and the weight, even loaded with 2 Harleys, is still manageable. It's almost 2000# heavier than the Salem I have now, but I'm really anxious to see how it tows behind the Dodge 2500...I've been told it will tow better than the bumper pull Salem. I just hope it shows up soon so I can find out!

Btw, for your "tall being a downside" issue: if you're talking about one of those canopies with a frame that sits on the ground, you could always put down a run or two (or however many you need) of concrete block to raise the base up and make the whole thing as tall as you want. You could even get all fancy and place threaded anchors in the blocks and mortar them in place to anchor the frame. Good luck!
Wanderer, you are right. I thought of adding sections of tubing to the verticals, but raising the base onto row or rows of CC blocks would be the way to go. It might take multiple jacks, but should be doable. I'll take that potential problem out of the equation. Leaving Wednesday for Lakeview!
__________________

__________________
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
camping

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 AM.