Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2014, 09:35 PM   #1

looking to up grade after 4 camping trips

well after having company with us for 2 of the for nights we have came to conclusion our grey wolf 25rr is to small. with 4 people sleeping and one wakes up they really have no place to go in the camper besides outside. So the hunt is on for a 5er toyhauler. looking at the XLR hyper lite. I know my 3/4 duramax will pull it and stop it after I change brake controllers
nducker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:50 PM   #2

Well that didn't take long!

Keep us posted, go big or go home!

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:56 PM   #3

My wife lasted 1 trip before we broke down and bought a toy hauler last year . 1 year later to the day and I am buying a class C.
motodude79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:09 PM   #4

we got ours last September so it hasn't been a year for us lol. when we got it we weren't thinking about people staying with us. we are shooting for a camper in the mid 30ft range with a actual garage. its a pain having to take the cushions off the couch move the table just to put our rzr in the back and when its in there all the tie downs are in the wrong spot
Old 04-21-2014, 10:13 PM   #5

My stepkids liked camping until they had to break down the dinette, put their rooms up, etc.

The new one with a fold out queen size couch, yeah that's acceptable. Problem is, now they're too grown up to go silly camping.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:22 PM   #6

fortunately my family likes camping. it doesn't bother my bother and his g/f to help set up/pack up camper when we go out. but they agree on the bigger camper for more space
Old 04-21-2014, 10:25 PM   #7

We've had our Salem since October of 2011, but the DW decided that we need to take the bikes along, so TH shopping we went, and an XLR Hyperlite is on its way to our dealer. I liked the 30hfs5, it's 9081# empty with a pin weight of 1611# (all empty/dry, of course.) Totally towable with a 3/4 ton diesel. Can't wait to bring it home!
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:37 PM   #8

that's great news. going to have to find a diff dealer to go to. the place we got ours the salesman didn't treat us very well
Old 05-04-2014, 05:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nducker23 View Post
well after having company with us for 2 of the for nights we have came to conclusion our grey wolf 25rr is to small. with 4 people sleeping and one wakes up they really have no place to go in the camper besides outside. So the hunt is on for a 5er toyhauler. looking at the XLR hyper lite. I know my 3/4 duramax will pull it and stop it after I change brake controllers
nducker: For me the XLR Hyperlite 29HFS fills the bill, but the 5er is still tempting. The one I am getting is supposed to be a 2015 from RV Wholesalers... but will look at a left over, new 2013 5er when I go there in a little less than 2 weeks. For your information, RV Wholesalers in Lakeview OH has a 30HFS5 (maybe 2) that can be bought for less than $30K if you finance for a year.. how much less?... the latest thing I saw is "make offer" on their website. The discounted price is about $34K, but I had a $30K quote. Your Duramax should have no problem hauling it, as you mention. Go to their website and check it out.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:42 PM   #10

And I have the XLR Thunderbolt and wish I had something smaller! lol Have only used it twice and haven't really added our personal touch to it yet because it's "too big" to park at our house! I think once we can get in there and do our decorating and arrange things the way "I" want them, then it will be ok. Sleeps 10 though!!
big green hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by big green hat View Post
And I have the XLR Thunderbolt and wish I had something smaller! lol Have only used it twice and haven't really added our personal touch to it yet because it's "too big" to park at our house! I think once we can get in there and do our decorating and arrange things the way "I" want them, then it will be ok. Sleeps 10 though!!
BGH, your TH is a big girl that's for sure. If I needed to sleep more than 2, it might be justified. I don't want to buy again and get something that I will be sorry for a few months later.... like wishing I had gone smaller or... larger. The Hyperlite 30HFS5 is small for a 5er, IMO, but not too big (I think). I would think a 5er would be so much better to pull that a big travel trailer TH and wonder if this fact alone should push me in that direction. It does have more storage and capacity not to mention a 5.5K Onan installed. The down side it they are so dang tall and nearly 2000# heavier. If (biggest word in the English language) the slide-out dinette was wider and nicer, or the recliner option was as nice as what I've seen in the Torgue or Carbon, I could overlook the height issue, but alas. I can park a 5er at home, but will have to figure out how to jack up the canopy I already have (that will fit the 29HFS perfectly) for the 5er. I wish my Daddy were here to tell me what to do...

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 05-07-2014, 08:25 AM   #12
Phat Phrogs Incognito...

LOL!

We had us (wife and self), 4 daughters and pets.
Started with:
  • 1971 Pinto Station Wagon (that was fun)
  • 4 Person Tent (yeah that was fun too)
  • 17' Hybrid (2001 Dutchmen Sport Lite)
Drop the daughters (grew up and moved out), but add some grandkids and now 4 dogs and 2 birds!
  • 36' Travel Trailer (2010 Keystone Sprinter 318FLS)
New job that requires a separate "office area" and now mostly just Wife, 4 dogs and I.
  • 40' Fifth Wheel (2014 Columbus 365RL)

Like someone said. Go big! We did, and went "residential" because we can go for months at a time, as I have a job where I can work from the RV.

Tina + Dutch and Bell, Bobo, Harley, Buddy (the dogs)
2011 F350 Lariat 4x4 DRW SuperCrew 6.7L (B&W setup w/Air Lift 5000 Ultimate)
2014 Columbus 365RL (Airflex and Voyager package)
Nights Camped 2014 - 154, 2015 - 32, 2016 - 4
DutchF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchF View Post
LOL!

We had us (wife and self), 4 daughters and pets.
Started with:
  • 1971 Pinto Station Wagon (that was fun)
  • 4 Person Tent (yeah that was fun too)
  • 17' Hybrid (2001 Dutchmen Sport Lite)
Drop the daughters (grew up and moved out), but add some grandkids and now 4 dogs and 2 birds!
  • 36' Travel Trailer (2010 Keystone Sprinter 318FLS)
New job that requires a separate "office area" and now mostly just Wife, 4 dogs and I.
  • 40' Fifth Wheel (2014 Columbus 365RL)

Like someone said. Go big! We did, and went "residential" because we can go for months at a time, as I have a job where I can work from the RV.

My first camping experience; a two-man tent or any tent, does not count, for whatever reason. I found a well used, rusty, manual folding tent camper / trailer for $150. The canvas was perfect, but the body was rusted, so I bondo'ed it; painted it with Rustoleum and a brush... put on some new tires (8" wheels). The TV was a 66 Myers Manx dune buggy (VW) that I fabricated a hitch using the bash plate, reinforced it by added some steel, all properly engineered... and mounted a ball on it. The crew was me, wife, 2 kids (probably 5 and 6 yo) and a 75# German Shepard. The 'coach' had a large 'basement' that fit all our stuff.... stuff that won't fit didn't go! No electric, no heat, no 'nothin'. We went to the Smokies without a clue! And, bottom line had an absolute ball! Makin Memories! I won't do this again, but it shows me that simple and affordable is better and having fun doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 05-07-2014, 10:12 AM   #14

I wanted a bigger trailer, but my problem is that bigger toy haulers all have toy garages, which is not what I want. Right now I have a 14' garage, but in all the others it's usually 10' and the rare 12' garage. Makes it difficult to fit all of today's toys as well as the ones we'll get in the future.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:23 PM   #15

We want the toy garage. I'm not fond of pulling our Polaris into the living area. But at the time the grey wolf was what we could safely pull with our half ton chevy

Sent from my VK810 4G using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 05-07-2014, 11:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
... The Hyperlite 30HFS5 is small for a 5er, IMO, but not too big (I think). I would think a 5er would be so much better to pull that a big travel trailer TH and wonder if this fact alone should push me in that direction. It does have more storage and capacity not to mention a 5.5K Onan installed. The down side it they are so dang tall and nearly 2000# heavier. If (biggest word in the English language) the slide-out dinette was wider and nicer, or the recliner option was as nice as what I've seen in the Torgue or Carbon, I could overlook the height issue, but alas. I can park a 5er at home, but will have to figure out how to jack up the canopy I already have (that will fit the 29HFS perfectly) for the 5er. I wish my Daddy were here to tell me what to do...
This was exactly my thinking in ordering the 30hfs5...it's "small" for a 5th wheel (compared to some of the Raptors I looked at first,) and the weight, even loaded with 2 Harleys, is still manageable. It's almost 2000# heavier than the Salem I have now, but I'm really anxious to see how it tows behind the Dodge 2500...I've been told it will tow better than the bumper pull Salem. I just hope it shows up soon so I can find out!

Btw, for your "tall being a downside" issue: if you're talking about one of those canopies with a frame that sits on the ground, you could always put down a run or two (or however many you need) of concrete block to raise the base up and make the whole thing as tall as you want. You could even get all fancy and place threaded anchors in the blocks and mortar them in place to anchor the frame. Good luck!
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:56 PM   #17

We just bought our fifth camper in a little over 4 years. Dealer told us on the first one to buy what we wanted and not worry about what others thought we need. We finally learned.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Forest River Forums mobile app
kssportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:30 PM   #18

yea we are young and inexperienced at campers. we are hoping this next one will be the last for a while
Old 05-08-2014, 10:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nducker23 View Post
yea we are young and inexperienced at campers. we are hoping this next one will be the last for a while
Skip everything and go to a 40' Motorhome+TOAD Trailer & avoid the upgrades...that's where most folks end up anyhow
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:32 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
This was exactly my thinking in ordering the 30hfs5...it's "small" for a 5th wheel (compared to some of the Raptors I looked at first,) and the weight, even loaded with 2 Harleys, is still manageable. It's almost 2000# heavier than the Salem I have now, but I'm really anxious to see how it tows behind the Dodge 2500...I've been told it will tow better than the bumper pull Salem. I just hope it shows up soon so I can find out!

Btw, for your "tall being a downside" issue: if you're talking about one of those canopies with a frame that sits on the ground, you could always put down a run or two (or however many you need) of concrete block to raise the base up and make the whole thing as tall as you want. You could even get all fancy and place threaded anchors in the blocks and mortar them in place to anchor the frame. Good luck!
Wanderer, you are right. I thought of adding sections of tubing to the verticals, but raising the base onto row or rows of CC blocks would be the way to go. It might take multiple jacks, but should be doable. I'll take that potential problem out of the equation. Leaving Wednesday for Lakeview!

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas

Tags
camping