Old 08-07-2018, 05:46 AM   #1

Lost a Tire

Well to say the least, that was an experience. had a lovely weekend camping at a provincial park and was on our way home. Cruise was locked in at 99 Kph or 60 mph, everything was fine and out of the blue no shake, no indication, the back of the truck dropped. My first thought was we blew a tire till out of the side view mirror I see a tire flying across the highway. several hundred feet later I get the truck stopped and off the highway. Rear passenger tire is MIA but of course the tire didn't just come off without hitting the fender edge before coming off and of course it could just roll off into the ditch, but nope it had to introduce itself to the RV before it left. took the fender flare off and crushed the skirting. The flying tire never hit anyone else and no one was injured. just gonna be and expensive day getting it all fixed. And thank god for CAA RV plus (AMA), it just paid for itself this year and for the next few. Wish there was a moral to this story like check your lug torques or something but in this case every lug was sheared off. RAM was the last company to have the wheels off when they balanced the tire about 6000 kms ago. I'll talk to them today but after 6000 kms I doubt they'll take responsibility. All in all it could have been a lot worse. Anyone have any idea how I might go about determining which RV fender flare and skirting to order? and how to change the skirting?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180806_145802.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	561.1 KB
ID:	182528   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180806_145810.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	563.0 KB
ID:	182529   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180806_145818.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	496.1 KB
ID:	182530  

2011 Dutchmen Denali 262 RLX
DRogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:15 AM   #2

More than likely your lug nuts were loose and yes the moral is check your torques. Loose lug nuts will cause the lugs to shear off. They may have also been over tightened at some point.

Alloy rims ???

Good luck sat the dealer

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
More than likely your lug nuts were loose and yes the moral is check your torques. Loose lug nuts will cause the lugs to shear off. They may have also been over tightened at some point.

Alloy rims ???

Good luck sat the dealer

Ditto. Probably loose lug nuts. They will sheer off like that.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:02 AM   #4

I would be tempted to check the other three wheels. I would also consider that the prior service event they were over torqued and consider having the studs replaced also. Save the replaced studs if you do this. This is not normal. I would also go back to last service provider and have them check their equipment and procedures for mounting wheels.
For this wheel to come loose so suddenly and clean shear of the studs is not normal.
Thank goodness that this happened in conditions that allowed you to control the vehicle to a safe stop.
Did you recover the wheel that departed.
I assume that you are in Canada. I would report this failure to whatever agency captures and manages highway/vehicle safety information (NHTSA here in the states). Could be bad studs manufacturing if they see a pattern.
I know that repairing the camper will be a pain but that is a minimal cost to what this could have been.
Mule
Muletrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:07 AM   #5
Coach

Always check your lug nut torque after tire changes or any work involving removal of a tire(s). Low torque and high torque are equally bad, and I've never had a vehicle come back from any shop torqued properly. Often they're over torque from lazy mechanics with their air guns.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post

Alloy rims ???

Good luck sat the dealer

I second this.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:24 AM   #7
Site Team

You may want to report this to your appropriate version governmental agency. Although I haven't verified it personally yet, my manager has a friend with this same style Ram, who he and his father have had wheel studs shear off. They told my manager this was a known defect with these Rams...... but as I stated I haven't researched it yet.

"Yes,we have reservations..but we'll eat here anyway!"...is what I say to every greeting host/hostess in a restaurant!
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:31 AM   #8

The receipt I get after having tires removed from the vehicle have always stated to check lug torque after so many miles.

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
jd50i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muletrain View Post
I would be tempted to check the other three wheels. I would also consider that the prior service event they were over torqued and consider having the studs replaced also. Save the replaced studs if you do this. This is not normal. I would also go back to last service provider and have them check their equipment and procedures for mounting wheels.
For this wheel to come loose so suddenly and clean shear of the studs is not normal.
Thank goodness that this happened in conditions that allowed you to control the vehicle to a safe stop.
Did you recover the wheel that departed.
I assume that you are in Canada. I would report this failure to whatever agency captures and manages highway/vehicle safety information (NHTSA here in the states). Could be bad studs manufacturing if they see a pattern.
I know that repairing the camper will be a pain but that is a minimal cost to what this could have been.
Mule

Wheels come off suddenly that is how it works. Nuts not torqued properly, one, two then 3 get a little loose and off comes the wheel. No warning and it breaks all the studs off. Nuts donít normally come completely off before the wheel departs. It takes the wheel action to loosen the nut. The nuts donít have to be very far out from the wheel before trouble happens.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:02 AM   #10
western NC mountains!

reminds me of my own 'story':

back in the mid 90's my Dad wanted me to pick up a single axle Airstream bambi trailer while I was in Texas and bring it back to Georgia. The owner had let it sit in his backyard for years, but had just had the two tires replaced. Fine....good to go.

or, so we thought.

I hitched up to the trailer, pulled out and took off up the road from very, very south Texas, up toward San Antone(or Antonio, whichever you prefer)... it was a nice grassy median four lane highway, but out in 'nowhere'...if you know what I mean.

50 miles north, I felt a slight tug, pull, bump... and then, in my left mirror I caught a glimpse of something - a TIRE rolling PAST me, in the median, doing probably 60mph!
It was the trailer's! and fortunately it eventually came to a stop and fell over in the median.... nice : )

I then realized also that the trailer was now rolling only on it's axle, and then as I slowed, on it's driver side bottom... as I slowed and pulled over easily to the right.

Long story shorter - the owner had not had a shop 'replace' the tires, but only remounted the rims, and the owner himself, about 90, had mounted them back, and forgot, and only 'finger' tightened them...

Lesson learned.

(the good news: the 'accident' happened right past a 'tire shop', and a small church, both needed during this time!.... and, since the lug nut has worked themselves off, the only damage was to the bottom of the trailer, some scraping, but the tire only needed several lug nuts to put us back on the road - tightened, of course!)

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 200w/10amps mobile SOLAR
85,000+mi, US, Alaska, Canada, western NC for now : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire