Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2008, 11:57 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to SSport
Lots of questions...

So I pick up my Cherokee 39BS bright and early this Saturday. I'm not a campiing noob (been camping since I was 6 months old), but this is MY first very own trailer and I came up with a list of questions to ask the tech the day of the walk through. I was wondering if I am missing anything or any other questions I should ask.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

What is that switch hooked up to?
(There a switch by the kitchen sink and when we first tried it when the trailer first came in, it didn't seem to be connected to anything. Hopefully they fixed it)

Does it come with a winterizer kit?
(the by-pass kit)

Does the trailer run on 50amp or 30amp?
(Our seasonal site only has a connection for a 30amp. I would probably only have to buy a adapter, correct?)

Does the trailer come with the power cord?

What is that wire in the bedroom?
(There is a clear looking wire connected to the wall in the bedroom and the other end is connected to the wall of the slide in the bedroom)

What does the 2nd year warranty cover?

How many stabilizer jacks are coming with it?

Where are all the user manuals?

Does the awning come with a center support?

Is there anyway to temporarily disable the slide buttons?
(The slide buttons are in really STUPID locations where anyone can hit them by accident)
SSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:39 AM   #2
RJW

take a look at or locate a lengthy pre delivery checklist, I dont have a link but I'm someone will.

good luck with new camper.

2006 Expedition 4x4 w/HD tow package
5.4L 4 speed auto w/OD 3.73
tow rated 8200
2008 Cougar XLite 30FKS
gvwr 7800

Alvarado TX
RJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:47 AM   #3
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Here are a few guesses for you. I'm assuming your trailer is new.

(There a switch by the kitchen sink and when we first tried it when the trailer first came in, it didn't seem to be connected to anything. Hopefully they fixed it) Outside light?

(the by-pass kit) Look near the water pump. $15 or so to buy from Camping World.

(Our seasonal site only has a connection for a 30amp. I would probably only have to buy a adapter, correct?) 50 amp is usually reserved for units having two ACs and/or washer/dryer.

Does the trailer come with the power cord? Yes, usually 25 to 30 feet.

(There is a clear looking wire connected to the wall in the bedroom and the other end is connected to the wall of the slide in the bedroom) I don't have a clue.

What does the 2nd year warranty cover? You can usually find warranty information on the manufacturer's site.

How many stabilizer jacks are coming with it? Look at standard features for your trailer on the manufacturer's site.

Where are all the user manuals? They should be in the trailer. If not, contact the dealer and raise hell.

Does the awning come with a center support? Probably not.

(The slide buttons are in really STUPID locations where anyone can hit them by accident) A very common design problem. Yes, it is a stupid one. Try installing a lockable home thermostat cover or something similar.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:31 PM   #4

It's a funny thing, I have spoke reps from Forest River and AL-CO and one thing I ask them " do you known an RV " and what do you think there answer was?............. take a guess!
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport View Post
So I pick up my Cherokee 39BS bright and early this Saturday. I'm not a campiing noob (been camping since I was 6 months old), but this is MY first very own trailer and I came up with a list of questions to ask the tech the day of the walk through. I was wondering if I am missing anything or any other questions I should ask.

(There a switch by the kitchen sink and when we first tried it when the trailer first came in, it didn't seem to be connected to anything. Hopefully they fixed it) The one by my sink is the switch to turn on the gas water heater. Is there a red light beside it? If so, that is what it is.

(the by-pass kit) Most generally do now. Look behind your water heater for one or more levers. Depending on the kit there will be one or two. This may require you to remove a drawer or two and get into a position the body normally does not get into. Or out of.

(Our seasonal site only has a connection for a 30amp. I would probably only have to buy a adapter, correct?) Check the connector on the cord. If is is a large 3 prong its 30 amp. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think 50 amp has 4 prongs.

Does the trailer come with the power cord? Yes.

(There is a clear looking wire connected to the wall in the bedroom and the other end is connected to the wall of the slide in the bedroom) I have no idea

What does the 2nd year warranty cover? Everything the first year covers.

How many stabilizer jacks are coming with it? Should be 4. When we ordered our Flagstaff, they said it came with two. We asked the dealer about getting two more. He said the other two were a "standard option" and all had them. Go figure.

Where are all the user manuals? The Forest River manual sucks. The others should be in a packet the dealer gives you when you pick up the trailer.

Does the awning come with a center support? Depends on length of the awning. Very doubtful that it does.

(The slide buttons are in really STUPID locations where anyone can hit them by accident)Not that I know of other than pulling a fuse.
Hope this helps

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:56 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
Nice floorplan!!!

From the brochure, your's is a 'park trailer' which would mean mine is pretty close to yours. Here's my answers to some of your questions:
(There a switch by the kitchen sink and when we first tried it when the trailer first came in, it didn't seem to be connected to anything. Hopefully they fixed it) You need to be a bit more specific.... is it installed in the cabinet near but below the sink? if its the HW heater, it should have two switches with a red signal light between them. Another switch that is sometimes installed on the wall near the sink switches current between your microwave and the AC... but with your Amperage it shouldn't be needed.

(the by-pass kit) Mine has the HW bypass, but no antifreeze pickup. However Father-in-law's 07 model does have a pickup located near the bathroom sink.

(Our seasonal site only has a connection for a 30amp. I would probably only have to buy a adapter, correct?) Mine's a 50, I would imagine yours is too. Residential fridge, right? Your dealer should supply you with the 50/30 adapter if it is.

Does the trailer come with the power cord? Yeah, and its long but thick! (inch diameter or so) If you're lucky there is separate cord and a plug-in recepticle on the trailer rather than that damn wired-in 50A cord to wrestle into the cubbie-hole.

(There is a clear looking wire connected to the wall in the bedroom and the other end is connected to the wall of the slide in the bedroom) Electical wire? Could be power to the built-in lights. Can't think of any wire like that on ours, but can't exactly remember now..

What does the 2nd year warranty cover? Huh?

How many stabilizer jacks are coming with it? Don't be surprised if there none. Park trailers are typically blocked.

Where are all the user manuals? Mine were in one of the cabinets.

Does the awning come with a center support? Generally no, regardless of length... I negotiated it into our price with the dealer, along with Max Airs, AC cover, etc etc. But the dealer may have installed one already.

(The slide buttons are in really STUPID locations where anyone can hit them by accident) Someone in another thread mentioned having a cut-out switch in one of the cupboards which would be a really good thing, but I don't have one. Makeshift switch covers keep those accidents from happening.

Hope this helps.

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimurrrw View Post
Here are a few guesses for you. I'm assuming your trailer is new.

(There a switch by the kitchen sink and when we first tried it when the trailer first came in, it didn't seem to be connected to anything. Hopefully they fixed it) Outside light?
Nope....tried that!

(the by-pass kit) Look near the water pump. $15 or so to buy from Camping World.
ok thanks!

(Our seasonal site only has a connection for a 30amp. I would probably only have to buy a adapter, correct?) 50 amp is usually reserved for units having two ACs and/or washer/dryer.

Does the trailer come with the power cord? Yes, usually 25 to 30 feet.
Damn, that's long

(There is a clear looking wire connected to the wall in the bedroom and the other end is connected to the wall of the slide in the bedroom) I don't have a clue.

What does the 2nd year warranty cover? You can usually find warranty information on the manufacturer's site.
I've found Forest River's website to be very uneducational...lol

How many stabilizer jacks are coming with it? Look at standard features for your trailer on the manufacturer's site.
once again.....no help lol

Where are all the user manuals? They should be in the trailer. If not, contact the dealer and raise hell.

Does the awning come with a center support? Probably not.

(The slide buttons are in really STUPID locations where anyone can hit them by accident) A very common design problem. Yes, it is a stupid one. Try installing a lockable home thermostat cover or something similar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehall View Post
Hope this helps
Quote:
Originally Posted by welshman599 View Post
Nice floorplan!!!
thanks!

From the brochure, your's is a 'park trailer' which would mean mine is pretty close to yours. Here's my answers to some of your questions:
(There a switch by the kitchen sink and when we first tried it when the trailer first came in, it didn't seem to be connected to anything. Hopefully they fixed it) You need to be a bit more specific.... is it installed in the cabinet near but below the sink? if its the HW heater, it should have two switches with a red signal light between them. Another switch that is sometimes installed on the wall near the sink switches current between your microwave and the AC... but with your Amperage it shouldn't be needed.
There are no lights of any sort near this switch. It is located on the wall directly behind the sink.

(the by-pass kit) Mine has the HW bypass, but no antifreeze pickup. However Father-in-law's 07 model does have a pickup located near the bathroom sink.

(Our seasonal site only has a connection for a 30amp. I would probably only have to buy a adapter, correct?) Mine's a 50, I would imagine yours is too. Residential fridge, right? Your dealer should supply you with the 50/30 adapter if it is.
Yea, I have the residential fridge.

Does the trailer come with the power cord? Yeah, and its long but thick! (inch diameter or so) If you're lucky there is separate cord and a plug-in recepticle on the trailer rather than that damn wired-in 50A cord to wrestle into the cubbie-hole.

(There is a clear looking wire connected to the wall in the bedroom and the other end is connected to the wall of the slide in the bedroom) Electical wire? Could be power to the built-in lights. Can't think of any wire like that on ours, but can't exactly remember now..
I was thinking the same thing. I'll have to unplug it and see what it does.

What does the 2nd year warranty cover? Huh?
The 2nd year extended warranty that you can buy from forest river for $150.......

How many stabilizer jacks are coming with it? Don't be surprised if there none. Park trailers are typically blocked.
hmmm

Where are all the user manuals? Mine were in one of the cabinets.

Does the awning come with a center support? Generally no, regardless of length... I negotiated it into our price with the dealer, along with Max Airs, AC cover, etc etc. But the dealer may have installed one already.

(The slide buttons are in really STUPID locations where anyone can hit them by accident) Someone in another thread mentioned having a cut-out switch in one of the cupboards which would be a really good thing, but I don't have one. Makeshift switch covers keep those accidents from happening.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for everyones help
Old 04-03-2008, 07:57 PM   #8

you have plenty of good answers already so i wont duplicate. here are a couple links on PDIs and adapter plugs

misc helpful checklist/ pdi
http://www.angelfire.com/trek/buenavistas/

50 and 30 amp plug examples
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/p...gs/prodID=5810

phil
wildwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:17 PM   #9

Well, I picked up the trailer on Saturday and all of my questions have been officially answered!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(There a switch by the kitchen sink and when we first tried it when the trailer first came in, it didn't seem to be connected to anything. Hopefully they fixed it)
The switch was for the outside outlets up by the awning....if you decide to put patio lights around the awning, you can turn them on and off easily from the switch inside.

(the by-pass kit)
Nope

(Our seasonal site only has a connection for a 30amp. I would probably only have to buy a adapter, correct?)
Runs on 50amp

Does the trailer come with the power cord?
Yep, but it was too short, so I had to buy an extension

(There is a clear looking wire connected to the wall in the bedroom and the other end is connected to the wall of the slide in the bedroom)
It supplies the electric for the lights in the slide out

What does the 2nd year warranty cover?
Everything the 1st year does

How many stabilizer jacks are coming with it?
4 were attached

Where are all the user manuals?
They were in one of the kitchen draws

Does the awning come with a center support?
Nope, I'll have to buy one

(The slide buttons are in really STUPID locations where anyone can hit them by accident)
We could remove the fuse, but we found out that you actually have to stand there and hold the button for the slide to come in....so no big deal