Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2013, 03:07 PM   #1

Loud Neighbors

We settled into our spot at the campground and liked the somewhat secluded area we chose. We kicked back in our lawn chairs for some refreshment when about 10 college aged boys and a couple of girls pulled into the spot across from us. The first thing they did was pull speakers from out of a truck and place them on the hood. The music was loud but it was country and pretty early in the day so it was tolerable. We got a kick out of watching them set up their tents and make camp. Music stayed loud and switched from country to another then another genre. At about 9:30 that evening it was too loud for everyone and I think someone complained as it got quiet quickly.

We continued to watch them and the games they were playing as friends stopped by throughout the day. I didn't think about it at the time but they probably thought we were the ones complaining because of our close proximity to them and how we were watching them.

Late in the afternoon yesterday we noticed a couple of them making trips into the woods surrounding us and gathering sticks for their fire. At about 8 p.m. I got up from our picnic table and walked into their campsite. They were all sitting together and dead silence fell over the group as I approached them. All eyes were on me. I walked up just feet from the table and said, "If you folks need some firewood, I have plenty in the back of my pickup and you're welcomed to it." Needless to say they were surprised and grateful and grabbed a couple of arm loads!

We retired to the camper around 10:30 and was in bed by 11:00. It appeared they had gotten a few more pieces from my truck throughout the night as the pile was about half gone this morning. We broke camp early and there wasn't any movement from their site. They were likely sleeping off some hangovers.

Under my wiper blade was a note......"Thanks for the firewood!"

John
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #2

Very cool on your part John, thanks for sharing that story.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #3

We had a somewhat different experience with 7 male graduates from Delton Mi. When they pulled in and set up I thought for sure it was going to be a party. We had our grandchildren with us and was kind of worried what would happen when it was their bedtime.
A couple days later after having zero problems with those young men, I noticed they were packing to leave. Asked who the captain of the ship was and talked to him and some of his friends. The others kept packing. Told them they should be proud and so should their parents of how well behaved they were. Ended up buying them a gift certificate to a friends pizza shop. They've been in once and will know doubt be back. They still have credit left.
On there way to college and some are working.
Great experience in Ludington, MI. state park
Bob
Old 07-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #4

It's that old honey and vinegar thing....I did empty a pan of grease in close proximity of a particularly rude and obnoxious group once that we'd attempted to be nice to in order to get a little peace and it was ignored. The campground owners didn't seem to be too interested in maintaining the rules....but the skunks sure got the camper's attention...and left us alone to boot...
Hudlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
Site Team

I really like to hear stories like this. I encounter young people all the time, who seem to have no respect for others, in my normal course of business. To be fair, I encounter a lot of older people like that too.

I also really like, when others encourage good behavior.

We have a young waiter at our local Logan's Steakhouse, who always waits on our large group every Saturday when we go in there for lunch. We always fill out these online customer comment/survey cards, bragging on this young man. He told us last Saturday that their corporate guys were in, and one of them pulled him to the side, and told him that he got the most customer compliments of anyone there.......then he grinned at us and said he knew who was doing that for him.

Positive reinforcement things like that, do go a long way for people and the way they will treat others in the future.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #6
MI Camperz

Same thing here with a group of partying college students who couldn't start a fire.
Took them wood and showed them how. We were even luckier in that we got a dozen bakery doughnuts in a nice big bakery box, each one different.
Yum!
Old 07-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #7

Those are all good stories. We were all teenagers once and altho we didn't camp in style, we got by with tents, portable radio's, girls, smokes and a lot of beer. Did we get loud and unruly, yeah I'm sure we did. Did we have a good time, Hell yeah we did. Did we try to respect the old cooters camped nearby, of course we did. But hell, we were kids. With that in mind I have high tolerance when camping. I just think back and smile. Btw, no offense 'Old Coot'.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:26 AM   #8
Site Team

Offering to share your firewood was nice and their 'Thank You' note was thoughtful. Thanks for sharing your story.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:44 AM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
Those are all good stories. We were all teenagers once and altho we didn't camp in style, we got by with tents, portable radio's, girls, smokes and a lot of beer. Did we get loud and unruly, yeah I'm sure we did. Did we have a good time, Hell yeah we did. Did we try to respect the old cooters camped nearby, of course we did. But hell, we were kids. With that in mind I have high tolerance when camping. I just think back and smile. Btw, no offense 'Old Coot'.
Not to worry rattleNsmoke, none taken.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #10

John that's an excellent story. Thanks for telling it. I think sometimes some of our older forum'ers get a little worked up with just the sight of young folk setting up camp near them. Over the 4th of July week DW and I were camping at a jamboree that attracts a couple of thousand campers of all makes and sizes. Next to us setting up their campsite were a bunch of young kids. One of the girls comes over, introduces herself, tells us there is going to be 16 people in tents on their site (they even rented their own Porta-Pottie $140 going rate at the jamboree) and if there were any problems let them know. My friend who had his TT parked right next to them offered them use of his trailer and generator power (dry camp) if they needed to blow dry their hair or charge their cell phones. A couple of days later a young lad walks into our campsite with a blow driver in hand asking who offered use of the genny. After, his girlfriend came over and Mike turned on his 2000 watt Honda. The look on Mikes face when he heard the howl coming from his little Honda with the strain the huge blow driver was putting on it. Cracked us up to know end, the young lady looked very pretty and it matters to be nice!
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #11

Nice story...thanks for sharing. We, on the other hand, have had a few problems with youngsters. Loud music playing all day and night, and not a person in sight! They took off for a walk for two hours and just left the music blaring. Our group was also robbed by three teen boys staying in a tent across from our site. They got a laptop, some golf clubs and took some firewood. They broke the center console in my Durango in the process. They also stole firewood from the camp host and a few other sites. They only stayed the one night and were gone by 8am the next morning. Seems they just wanted to see who they could rip off. Since then we've been much better at locking everything at night and paying attention to who is staying near us.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #12

Over the 4th of July we were the loud ones. Most of our neighbors were listening to the Detroit Tigers playing so we turned on our outside speakers so we could all hear. A neighbor from across the street came over and asked us to turn it down, which we did. They said they didn't listen to baseball and they sounded a little foreign. But every time a song came on about being a Proud American or a Patriotic song came on our radio did get turned up for that song and after we turned it down.

Edit: FYI I do not have anything against anybody camping American or Foreign but not wanting to listen to the Detroit Tigers is just not right.
kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #13

Good for you kc!!
Old 07-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #14

I don't mind so much the loud music( except the hard headbanger and gangsta rap). I can deal with it. What I can't stand is thievery. I've had firewood stolen many times. And it's usually teenagers or the unruly drunkards that I have a plague of camping next to.
Kamping Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #15

The only time I turn up the radio for others to hear is for when I play the national anthem at noon on Sunday. Most stop, stand and take off thier hats. Then cheer when it is over.
cstover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #16

I've fired out Jimi Hendrix version on occasion and have had similar results. Interesting watching veterans getting impatient half way thru that homage.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

good for you guys inspiring the next generation of campers and maybe even trying to take some of the me out of the me generation kids.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #18

I always wondered why they put outside speakers on my camper, as I would never consider turning them on. I go camping for peace and quiet, and have no use for listening to anything my neighbors think is worth sharing. So I certainly wouldn't subject them to whatever I am listening to.
Are people so used to noise that they think it is ok to make even more of it?
I simply don't get it.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
good for you guys inspiring the next generation of campers and maybe even trying to take some of the me out of the me generation kids.
I am the generation you kindly speak of. It has nothing to do with age or generation. It has to do with respect. I respect those around me and assume they like peace and quiet like bakken does.
cstover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #20

My oldest DS , and his family camps with us from time to time
I have a son and daughter , 28- 26
They have been taught manners , respect your elders and your betters

Me and him can start a conversation with anyone , my DD , is more quiet
We have really never had a problem with folks or with stealing , but we do Take care of business
Lock things up , cover things up .

We are both have CHL , and we do exercise or right.

Most people are the same , come out to have a good time , family time , party time .
Sometime they just need a little coaching , on how to act in public ???
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
Capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote