Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2011, 09:14 AM   #1

Louisiana Laws

I heard a rumor that Louisiana required a CDL to operate a Motorhome and were beginning to aggressively enforce that law. Can anybody confirm or deny that rumor?

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
Site Team

I haven't heard that about my state. Below is a link that has a breakdown to the types of licenses required...including personal recreational vehicles, and below the link is an excerpt from it

CLASSES OF LICENSE AND AGE REQUIREMENTS

R.S. 32:408 B.(2)(e) and 405.1:
Class E Driver's License - Personal Vehicle
Age Requirements: 17 years or above.
Permits the operation of any single motor vehicle under 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight, any personal use recreational vehicle and farm vehicles controlled and operated by a farmer to transport agricultural products, farm machinery, or farm supplies to and from a farm within 150 air miles of the owner's or operator's farm (not used in operation of a Common or Contract Carrier, and not used to transport passengers or property for hire)or any other vehicle which is not used in the transportation of hazardous materials which is required to be placarded.

However, if you want to get it straight from the horses mouth, I suggest calling our State Police Headquarters.

LSP HQ Main Number: (225) 925-6006

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:50 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I haven't heard that about my state. Below is a link that has a breakdown to the types of licenses required...including personal recreational vehicles, and below the link is an excerpt from it

CLASSES OF LICENSE AND AGE REQUIREMENTS

R.S. 32:408 B.(2)(e) and 405.1:
Class E Driver's License - Personal Vehicle
Age Requirements: 17 years or above.
Permits the operation of any single motor vehicle under 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight, any personal use recreational vehicle and farm vehicles controlled and operated by a farmer to transport agricultural products, farm machinery, or farm supplies to and from a farm within 150 air miles of the owner's or operator's farm (not used in operation of a Common or Contract Carrier, and not used to transport passengers or property for hire)or any other vehicle which is not used in the transportation of hazardous materials which is required to be placarded.

However, if you want to get it straight from the horses mouth, I suggest calling our State Police Headquarters.

LSP HQ Main Number: (225) 925-6006

You probably don't won't the state patrol but need to call the department of transportation commercial vehicle enforcement.
the state patrol would have no clue
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:59 AM   #4

NO state requires a CDL for the operation of any RV> A CDL is just that a COMMERCIAL DRIVERS LICENSE. Some states have additional requirement of their residence for RV operation. For example a New York state resident is required to have an "R" Endorsement to on their license to operate an rv with a 21,000GVW and over or and RV with a length of 40" of over, if your not a NY resident this is not an issue for you. I see by your profile that you're from KY, so KY laws regarding RV licensing/operation are the only ones that effect you.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:48 PM   #5

Thanks for the quick replies. I am forwarding the data to the source of the rumor.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:51 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
You probably don't won't the state patrol but need to call the department of transportation commercial vehicle enforcement.
the state patrol would have no clue
Actually, down here, they are a division of the State Police.

Louisiana State Police

http://www.lsp.org/pdf/orgchart.pdf

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote