Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2016, 10:25 PM   #1

Love our new 8281WS, Are you passionate about your RV and travels?

Just curious...
We've been RV owners for more than 30 years. Until now all travel trailers, and loved them all (well, most)... So we usually do a couple vacations a year and 5-6 weekends. However, it's different now, we can't get enough. It's not the new, we've had new before. This rig, Rockwood Signature, feels more like a second home. My 84 year old mom travels with us. She now has her own bedroom and bathroom. We immediately removed the small jack-knife sofa (too short to stretch out) and got her a nice futon, full size with a wonderful mem foam mattress. It's pretty special to her.
I guess part of it is that we are 11 months away from retirement (34 years Postal). We will then be at least "half-timers".
Finally my question.... For those of you reading this who understand what I mean... When did it change for you, what lit your passion?? Does the travel bug leave?
Pretty mushy for our first post, but would be nice to hear from other passionate travelers.
Thanks, happy travels.
2011 Dodge 2500 w Hemi
Mods completed = 10
Camping Days 2016 = 46 Nights, 21 More Booked!
Texanmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:25 PM   #2

We are a little under 4 years to retirement (DW still working to pay for my habits) until we can make our first "mushy" post about lighting the travel passion bug. Anxious to see what others say about the subject.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:33 PM   #3

Just hold on... Your time will fly by, we went on a full on Dave Ramsey no debt assault about 6 years ago.... Its a great ride!
2011 Dodge 2500 w Hemi
Mods completed = 10
Old 09-19-2016, 05:51 AM   #4

We love our 2016 Forester 22' Class C. It fits on the driveway to the inch, so I can easily pack in what we need, clean, and just go sit inside with the dogs and check what else needs to be done. We are retired teachers, DH in 2013 and me in 2014. After a one time only 6400 mile cross country and back this past July, we are now planning on keeping our travel in our western states. Love beach camping and waking to the sound of crashing waves. My now goal is one trip of 2 to 4 nights each month. This month is Silver Strand Beach in Coronado, San Diego. October and November trips will be San Elijo State Beach. All trips include our two little poodle loves. When we find the right Jeep toad we will start taking longer trips north to Carpenteria, Paso Robles, oregon coast and Washington.
ToniandSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:31 AM   #5

We can wait for the longer trips, we really enjoy the 3-4 days too. We stay for a couple of weeks every summer at Jamaica Beach rv resort in Galveston. Its an amazing destination. Ours in under cover right next to our house... we've done the same thing... just sit and plan
2011 Dodge 2500 w Hemi
Mods completed = 10
Old 09-19-2016, 07:59 AM   #6
Wait till next year...

My dear old dad lit my wanderlust, 6hour Sunday rides,yearly trips to visit grandad in FL, and tent camping thru out New England. Gave up camping (tent) after a soaking in Maine, still traveled just stayed at condos, motels, hotels, and summer houses. 2 years ago we started looking for an RV. Considered your Rockwood and a WindJammer, bought a pickup to tow with but push come to shove ended up with a 28'Sunseeker made more sense to us, New England CG's can be a little tight . Now that we're retired it's great to just hookup the toad and take off in the middle of the week or just take the rig with bikes on the back for a day trip with all the comforts of home in the back . So 60 years and counting and still have the bug.
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:59 AM   #7

We're still ten years or so from retirement but we're certainly passionate about camping.

Our girl is about to turn 12 - we've been doing this since she was not yet two and have made countless hours of precious memories in the process. At the end of this season we will have just shy of a year spent in the trailer over the past eleven... and we've logged every trip (see Trips). We try to get in a long trip (two weeks or more) every summer; next summer we're planning on a month-long trip.

Camping is, in my opinion, the best kind of family time.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:26 AM   #8

What a great website restcure...think my wife will love, she logs in book form only, pretty special to share!
2011 Dodge 2500 w Hemi
Mods completed = 10
Old 09-19-2016, 03:43 PM   #9

Everytime I get in the drivers seat and pull out of my driveway I get such a great feeling of freedom and adventure!!
I grew up in a camping family and always loved it. A small RV was on my bucket list for over 25 years. My ex never was interested in going anywhere or getting a motorhome. Right after my divorce I bought my Solera; 20,000 miles now in less than 2 1/2 yrs. and plenty of ideas where I intend to travel with my two dogs( better travel companions & never complain!!)
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:21 PM   #10

We can"t get enough

Retired 6 years ago, never camped or rvd. in our lives. Bought a new Flagstaff 30 FKWSS 4 years ago. Ended up having to take care of our parents until just recently, no complaints on that but it did limit our trip to when we could arrange for help. We were fortunate to be able to take about 6 to 8 weeks of vacation each year. This year we spent 2 months in Florida and a week in Maine. Both absolutely wonderful. DW wants to go to Hawaii for our anniversary next spring so we have decided no more trips this year and I am really bummed. After that we are considering full time Rving. There is so much to see and we are afraid that there isn't enough time to see it all. I you are like us you will not be able to wait for your next trip. We have met so many nice folks that have shared their experiences with us and have made us even more excited to get out there. Good Luck and Happy Travels
flagstaffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:27 PM   #11

4 years, 6 days and 2 hours for us according to the countdown timer on my computer. We can not wait until we can retire! So looking forward to it. Our "RV" lifestyle started out with Honda Gold Wing motorcycles and Time-Out tent trailers in the late 1970s to our first used class C in the mid 1990s. Then a Terry travel trailer in 1998, then to a Thor 5th wheel in 1999, and in 2014 a Wildcat Maxx travel trailer, and since we should have gone ahead and just gotten a new 5th wheel then, we're thinking trading in and getting that 5th wheel next spring. The Rockwood Signature Ultra Light is one of the models we really like of the 3 models / brands we're strongly considering. Have to see what happens when the time comes on what exactly we get. We can't wait to be on the road NOW! Our travels over the years have more often than not been a lot of fun. Like the post that started this thread though, looking at being "part timers" although my wife wants us to be Full Timers, I'm not so sure, house is paid off etc, so we compromised on starting out as Snowbirds for that first fall and winter and go from there!
Tdbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:30 PM   #12

Retired two years. Spent an entire career travelling in sales (140 nights a year on the road ) and still love travel. Love our setup, it's right for us.Have done one major trip last year to the Arctic Ocean and back (10000 miles +/-). This year we are camping around BC so will only do about 70 nights. We are in the early stages of planning 2017 which will be a cross Canada trip including Newfoundland and down the eastern seaboard as far as NYC and back west across the northern states. We expect most of four months on the road. Take your time, travel safe and enjoy.
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:02 AM   #13

We done several LONG trips. Problem is your money runs out before you get done traveling. 3 months on the road, picking where we want to stay, we weren't frugal, didn't splurge a lot either. Tried to be middle of the road but if you like to stay at KOA and we do, or some of the pricier camp grounds, and we do, plus our dog travels with us. Well, three months was our limit, and we ran round trip coming and going from different directions. Then save up and go again. Our travel bug hasn't left us yet. I got sick and we didn't go anywhere this year, but we're planning on starting again in mid December and coming back mid April for taxes. Gotta do them taxes. Basically if your coin doesn't wear out and your health holds are you can keep going a long time on your retirement, savings and budgeting. Try some of the Forest River activities. That's what we had planned; but, like I said I got sick and all got put on hold. I am one of the lucky, very blessed ones - Chemo, radiation, a really good DH plus an amazing support group have seen me through and we'll be traveling again real soon. Good luck in retirement and on your travels.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:47 AM   #14

Thank God you came out of it still traveling!! We are planning on the same approach, we have done the "nicer" ones, but to be honest, we just love the State Parks, planning on visiting COE parks soon... we will just see how far our budget will take us!!
2011 Dodge 2500 w Hemi
Mods completed = 10
Old 09-20-2016, 07:47 AM   #15

What an awesome plan filterman!!
2011 Dodge 2500 w Hemi
Mods completed = 10
Old 09-20-2016, 10:12 AM   #16
VaJim

Trailer

Love our V-Lite, it had all the requirements the wife wanted/needed....
I want to do an Alaska all summer trip but can't persuade her of it
Old 09-20-2016, 12:22 PM   #17

Alaska is surely in our future!
2011 Dodge 2500 w Hemi
Mods completed = 10

Tags
travel