Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2018, 03:09 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbike View Post
Clarkbre:
We that live on the east side of Wa state don't see very much benefit of the state park system. Many along the Snake River were built by the ARMY CORP OF ENGINEERS when the dams were built. Later they turned them over to the state to operate, their answer was to close and dismantle several of them.
So when I renew my license I opt out of the $5 fee. We do most of our camping in Idaho where there seems to be a more abundance of camping and outdoor activities available.
True. Especially in the SE corner of WA, there is very little to pick from.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 11:38 AM   #42
larryandamy

Love State Parks too

We love state and local parks because:
- They are located at some of the most beautiful lands in the state.
- They are relatively inexpensive compared to private campgrounds in the areas. Less than 1/2 price.
- The spaces are usually large and spaced apart. No parking lot camping!
- The rangers are "usually" very good and helpful.
- There is some limited control of "out of control" campers, but not at night when the rangers disappear. I am much more open to campers making some noise having fun, but every once in a while they do tend to get drunk and out of control and if you can find a ranger, then that is helpful.

What I don't like about state and local parks are:
- So many rules... many of which make no sense. No dogs on trails, generators can only run a few hours a day. Many go overboard on these. I am 100% solar and keep my generator at home, but i do not begrudge them.
- Crowds... and it is hard to get a campsite without planning months in advance at many parks.
- The money we spend and donate does not get dedicated to the parks... The state (especially the worst run state in the USA.. California) spends the money where ever it wants. And the first budget cuts are always the parks even though many have self sustaining funding.

In California there has been a big push to hand park control from state to federal. It is bad, because the state/local people know the land much better than the federal people do.

BTW: I love the national parks too. Even more because they really have the most beautiful lands. But a little less because they are even more crowded, harder to get a space and have even more silly rules. I joined a boondockers forum recently and there is a whole world of camping outside of these parks, that is awesome too.

I do donate annually to the California state parks, but I doubt any of that money makes it out of Sacramento.
larryandamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:42 PM   #43

I'm sorry, I'm not donating ANY money to ANY state no matter what the consequences. They have all- ESPECIALLY CALIFORNIA- squandered away so badly our tax money over the last 30 years that I'm not about to contribute to state parks that regularly receive state money to run. Especially when I'm paying a fee to stay there.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:24 PM   #44

Nebraska sells annual park permits. They sell a second one to you at half price. We always got one for every vehicle; four in total. I thought it was for a good cause. Last year they jacked up the rate for out of state folks significantly. Last year I reduced my purchase to one vehicle. They now net less from me trying to get greedy. I think next year we might not decorate our windshield with their stickers and camp elsewhere or stick with a day pass.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:54 PM   #45

Well lets see how this makes sense in my/our situation,we joined/paid Passport America so we can get 50% off Camping,we joined Golden Buckeye"Ohio" for 50% off Camping,we joined/paid America the Beautiful for Free admission to Parks for Life,so tell me why I would pay MORE? Youroo!!
Old 03-29-2018, 10:03 PM   #46

I purchased license plates for my truck and camper which help support our state parks.

Name:   LICENSE-PLATES-3~~element107.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  9.2 KB
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote