Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2014, 08:05 AM   #1

LT Tires - valve stems

I am about some new LT tires to replace my stock passenger tires. Do I need to get metal valve stems?

Thanks,

Randy
Grif76040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:13 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I would yes.

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:17 AM   #3

Since TPMS valve stems are basically metal, does that suffice?
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:21 AM   #4

I upgraded the stock tires and went to an alloy wheel on mine all I had done was to replace the O-ring and what not and reused the TPMS that came on the truck.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...j75vAqbd-8BDww

Quote:
Why Does Tire Maintenance with Direct TPMS Cost More? Direct TPMS equipped tires cost slightly more to maintain than non-equipped tires because proper care requires extra parts and labor. The valve service kit, which includes the valve core, cap, nut and o-ring (seal), must always be replaced when a tire is dismounted for service or replacement. The service kit costs $5-$10 per wheel on most vehicles. A special TPMS tool and additional time are also needed to check and reset the sensor system. In the event pressure sensors need to be replaced, the cost ranges from $50-$250 each depending on vehicle type. - See more at: What is a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)? | Completely Firestone | Firestone Complete Auto Care
Old 06-13-2014, 08:21 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Well since u put it that way lol you have no choice but to use tpms stems and sensors.
What you may find is a tire light on with the increased tire pressures.
If so your dealer will be able to raise the high limit.

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
Old 06-13-2014, 01:01 PM   #6

Not sure, however I believe the TPMS only measures the minimum air pressure, not the high side. If this is right, no problem with tires requiring higher air pressures than the OEM brand.
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:04 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
Not sure, however I believe the TPMS only measures the minimum air pressure, not the high side. If this is right, no problem with tires requiring higher air pressures than the OEM brand.
We have a 2008 gmc that reads over pressure after we put lt tires on it and raised pressure.

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
Old 06-13-2014, 01:20 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grif76040 View Post
I am about some new LT tires to replace my stock passenger tires. Do I need to get metal valve stems?

Thanks,

Randy
I assume you are referring to the tires on your truck and not your trailer.

In the GM model 1500 truck you probably have the TPMS sensor like below:

This TPMS snap-in valve stem/ sensor lets you unscrew (D) and just replace the rubber valve stem (C). It's a lot easier and cheaper to fix, when the stem itself goes bad, as compared to a TMPS sensor/stem that is all metal (which have a habit of the valve core seizing in the threads). It also allows more flex, and won't break as easy as the all-metal TPMS sensor/stem. You just attach the new rubber stem to your sensor body. We buy these in case quantities.

Finding a clamp-in metal stem that is going to attach to the sensor body, is easier said than done. What you will want is a VS-925C. You'll most likely need to get them off amazon or such and take them with you when you get the tires changed, as most dealers won't have it....or even heard of it.

Here it is below. Hope it helps.

Dill VS-925C

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I assume you are referring to the tires on your truck and not your trailer.

In the GM model 1500 truck you probably have the TPMS sensor like below:

This TPMS snap-in valve stem/ sensor lets you unscrew (D) and just replace the rubber valve stem (C). It's a lot easier and cheaper to fix, when the stem itself goes bad, as compared to a TMPS sensor/stem that is all metal (which have a habit of the valve core seizing in the threads). It also allows more flex, and won't break as easy as the all-metal TPMS sensor/stem. You just attach the new rubber stem to your sensor body. We buy these in case quantities.

Finding a clamp-in metal stem that is going to attach to the sensor body, is easier said than done. What you will want is a VS-925C. You'll most likely need to get them off amazon or such and take them with you when you get the tires changed, as most dealers won't have it....or even heard of it.

Here it is below. Hope it helps.

Dill VS-925C
This x4...I had new wheels/tires/tpms/stems installed....

Asked for metal (which is usually a chrome sleeve on the stem) but got it back with 4 rubber ones just like my factory take offs...

It wasnt enough trouble for me to find my own metal ones and have it all broken down and redone. ...if plain rubber is good enough for my 80psi max stock lt tires, it should be fine on my other wheels...??

sent from fat fingers via a space dish thing with no regard to grammer.
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires