Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #1

Magellan RV7365 Confusion

Hello All,,
I am leaving tomorrow on my first real long trip (8 hrs -9 hrs) and have a new GPS made for RVs. I have programmed it with TV & TT weight & height limits and it does have me avoiding The Garden State Parkway in NJ. Trip is from Vermont to Cape May, NJ.

Imagine my confusion when I saw this screen on my GPS. Anyone else confused on why the fastest time is 50 minutes longer than shortest distance?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	35565  
2012 Rockwood 2109S (Sold)
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS

wbdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #2

FWIW, if you have the chance to return that GPS, I would. I bought that and returned it for the Garmin (reviews for both are in the review thread). I haven't looked back!

https://curban.smugmug.com/Urban-Fami...rgetown-351DSF
ChrisMSNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:25 PM   #3

ahh, unfortunately I bought it last year thru Camping World. I did send it in to Magellan so I will be interested in their response. I am currently reviewing the 2 routes with maps.
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS

Old 07-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #4

Exclamation Corrected Model is RV5365T-LMB

Ok, here is the response from Magellan:

The computed route for the Fastest Time may take a longer route in length compared to the Shortest Distance because it will try to find a route where it can avoid areas that can cause delay such as traffic lights, school zones, and etc.

I hope that I was able to help you with your concern for today and should you require further assistance with this or with any other unit, please feel free to reply to this message.
Thank you for choosing Magellan and have a great day.

Is it only me that this does not make sense to? I think the algorithm should show the Fastest Time even if it is the Shortest Distance. Why should the Fastest Time be 50 minutes longer than the Shortest Distance?

I replied that their response to me is nonsense.
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS

Old 07-24-2013, 07:11 PM   #5
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
I don't have an RV Magellan so be aware that I am extrapolating from systems I am more familiar with and the user manual for your product. Anyway, here is my take on your post.

If you have set your default navigation preferences to fastest time and have excluded travel on toll roads (page 36) then it is going to take you 8/10. Why? Slower roads are substituted for fast toll roads. (You may still be routed onto toll free highways or interstates.) In other words, the fastest time is the fastest time that you can obtain using the parameters you have set. BTW, I am guessing your default navigation preferences (page 36) may only apply to your default route method.

The shortest distance is just that. It may take an incredibly long time if you get routed through small towns on secondary roads. It may include toll roads or, for all I know, adventure travel across someone's back yard. It will take you 7/20.

Mostly freeways. The freeways (including toll roads) may take more or less time than the shortest distance. In your case it is about the same - 7/15. This would indicate, in general, that the freeways coincide with the shortest distance.

Least use of freeways. Ah, the scenic route. County highways and byways. The way daddy would have traveled back when. Roadside fruit stands. No surprise that it takes a bit longer - 9/41.

A note or two -

I think your vehicle profile (page 32) will keep you from being routed onto a road you can't handle. However there is no accounting for trees that jump out and bite you.

Hope this helps you out, but don't depend on it without checking it out for yourself.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:07 AM   #6

dimurrrw- thank you for the detailed response.

1. I do have the unit set for fastest time but have not excluded freeways or toll roads.
2. I would think that the unit should show the fastest time even if it is the same as the shortest distance. The algorithm should compute the shortest distance, mostly freeways & least use of freeways options and the fastest time should not be longer than any one of those choices, otherwise it is not the fastest route. The algorithm should check the fastest time route, which may be a combination of shortest distance and mostly freeways, against the other choices and if one of those is faster, than that becomes the fastest route.
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS

Old 07-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

I think they need to change "Fastest Time" to "Least Hassle" and all will be right with the world...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote