Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2010, 02:25 PM   #1

magnetek 7300 converter question

I have a Forest River Wildcat 27RK 5th wheel. I'm trying to determine if my Magnetek 7300 (model 7345) converter is working correctly. If the battery is disconnected from the circuit, should the 12v lights in the trailer still work off the converter when connected to 120v shore line? The converter is putting out 13.8 volts thru each circuit in the 12v distribution panel. But, none of the 12v lights, the water pump, the slide out motor or the front jack motor will operate unless the battery is connected. Others with similar systems tell me their 12v lights work without the battery connected as long as they're connected to an outside 120v source. Also, the battery slowly drains when the converter is connected to 120v supply. It would appear the battery charging function of the converter might not be working properly. Any ideas? Thanks!
danfglmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:14 AM   #2
Site Team

I definitely sounds like the converter isn't working correctly. With the battery disconnected all the 12v stuff should still work if you're on shore power.

Have you checked all the fuses? There are a couple of large ones in the panel that feeds the battery for charging.

If it's not under warranty give Best Converter a try. They're really good with converters and will also help you troubleshoot yours.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:36 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

I had a similar problem with my 5th wheel.

Under my pin box (outside) there is a red covered current limiter/isolator (40 amp) that isolates the 12 vdc of the camper from the 12 vdc of the truck, yet allows charging of the camper battery when the truck's voltage exceeds camper battery voltage when connected.

My problem was solved by removing the wire round terminal ends from the isolator threaded terminals, sanding the corrosion off them, and reinstalling.

That corrosion prevented current flow from the converter to the battery buss which contains the battery, the landing gear fuse, and my main slide fuses (in my camper).
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:37 AM   #4

Thanks to both of you for your replies! I'll check both ideas and go from there. I sure appreciate the help!
danfglmi is offline   Reply With Quote