Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2015, 09:13 PM   #21

I have 6.0 gasser as well and always got about 8 mpg pulling my 7000lb tt. The last 2 trips I started putting 100% gas in it and I have averaged 10.2 mpg over about 400 miles.
Keith Seck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:14 PM   #22

remember, smiles per gallon SPG is the key..

Our titan 4x4 towing a 31 ft 7500+lb outback got around 11 MPG, got 19 unloaded.

We now get 7 ish with the class A and a toad.

It is worth every drop...
happywhencamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:19 PM   #23
Happy Camper

Service & repair facilities for diesel powered vehicles are harder to find in many (or most) smaller communities you will travel through. Besides that, diesel fuel smells bad if you spill it on your clothes. Just a couple of things to put in the mix.

Other than that, going camping is fun no matter how you get there.
Johntgif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:52 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhnter View Post
Well, it finally quit raining long enough to take our maiden voyage. Went to a campground up near Beavers Bend State park in OK. Which was closed btw.

It was a pretty flat road and my TV pulled pretty good. No issues with getting passed by semis in either direction.
I was expecting a bit better gas mileage, I got less than 8 mpg and that is not good. We bought this to be able to take to IL when we go back to visit, but at that rate it would cost about $600 in gas alone.
As well, I think I am going to have a bit of hard time towing up the MO hills.

I will probably be looking for a different TV so any suggestions to what can get at least 12 mpg with enough power to pull 8k lbs with ease, I am all ears.

The park was basically all full timers, so there was very little interaction as they pretty much stayed to themselves.

Question, how early is too early to start up the air compressor on a Sunday morning? I waited til 8 because I saw no one moving, but would have liked to start it at 7.

The only issues we had were right off the bat, power tongue lift didn't work and once I found the fuse...of course I did not have that size. The nice park owner took me to the store a couple miles away and got me going.

The biggest issue we have is that you cannot hear the TV with the AC going (which was 90% of the time).
When I connected the TV to the AUX in, the overhead speakers would not work. The outside would though, so I know at least I am getting a signal there.
When playing a DVD, the speakers worked but are so weak. Why would they not spend a couple extra $ and install something worthwhile.
Sounds like my first warranty issue to me.
Any suggestions on the sound? Do I need to upgrade?

The dogs, also on their first camping trip, did pretty good, but new scenery and situations had them off schedule as well. There was little area for them to go.

One other thing comes to mind...why were there plastic bags over some of the faucets? Some of the full timers had a bucket over theirs, while others were just in the open

Overall, it was a pretty good first time ever trip for us.

Thanks for listening!
If you are going to the southern part of Mo expect some narrow and winding roads same with Arkansas in the northern part. I got a rv card form Pilot/Flying J and download their app. So I try to stay on Interstate for the discount, unless I have a particular place I'm going.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:27 AM   #25

The 5.4 in 10th generation F150's isn't known for great mpg... (Same engine as Crown Vic & Mustang...) Plus, hauling 8,000 lbs. is working it pretty hard...

I didn't want a hefty new truck payment nor did I want an older engine/tranny combo with poor mileage so my solution was to buy a 2-3 year-old truck with high miles. In 2013 my 2 year-old Ram 2500 w/5.7 Hemi cost me $14K & I get better mpg than older trucks...

Towing 8,000 I get 10 mpg towing which is about the same as a new F150 Ecoboost (towing). For my daily commute I get 16-17 mpg which costs me about $500 extra per year vs. a new F150 Ecoboost...

IMO I'd rather pay $500 extra for fuel ANNUALLY vs. a $500 MONTHLY payment...

Ram replaced my Hemi @ 96K miles under their powertrain warranty, so I'm good for another 100K+ miles. We maintain & keep our vehicles forever... My DW's 2004 Odyssey has 170K miles & still runs & looks great. Not making car payments means more $$$ for camping!
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:30 AM   #26

WHY??

"Question, how early is too early to start up the air compressor on a Sunday morning? I waited til 8 because I saw no one moving, but would have liked to start it at 7."

Why do you need to run an air compressor? Especially at 8 in the morning much less 7.

I guess my over all question is What is it used for? Is it an emergency? (Flat tire?) Is it really necessary? Is there an alternative?

I'm anti-noise in campgrounds. People should keep their radios and TV's turned down, use their generators sparingly, and respect their neighbor's privacy and space.

P.S. I re-read this and it sounds too judgmental. I confess, I just don't know what the air compressor is used for. As far as the generator, we hardly ever use ours. But, then, we don't camp where air conditioning is required, and if we don't have electrical hookup, we use propane for heat and cooking.
PNWTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:41 AM   #27

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I was a 2 year 5.4 Triton Tower, mileage was 8 pulling 9000lbs at 32 ft Trailer. Bought an Ecoboost raised MPG to 10-11 on a good day with a 9500 lb Fiver. Just bought a 15 F250 Power Stroke. MPG first trip out lots of start and stop to break engine in 14 mpg, coming home in 50 mph gusts and head winds dropped to 12 mpg.

Stability wise, brakinbg wise, massive torque the F 250 Super Duty kills the Eco-Boost. If you have a lighter trailer and tow a couple weeks a year a couple hours Eco-Boost is hands down the best choice. With 9500lbs I suggest Diesel and F 250 if budget allows.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:55 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWTraveler View Post
"Question, how early is too early to start up the air compressor on a Sunday morning? I waited til 8 because I saw no one moving, but would have liked to start it at 7."

Why do you need to run an air compressor? Especially at 8 in the morning much less 7.

I guess my over all question is What is it used for? Is it an emergency? (Flat tire?) Is it really necessary? Is there an alternative?

I'm anti-noise in campgrounds. People should keep their radios and TV's turned down, use their generators sparingly, and respect their neighbor's privacy and space.

P.S. I re-read this and it sounds too judgmental. I confess, I just don't know what the air compressor is used for. As far as the generator, we hardly ever use ours. But, then, we don't camp where air conditioning is required, and if we don't have electrical hookup, we use propane for heat and cooking.
Because of all the posts I have read on this forum that state the number one reason for tire blowouts is under inflation. One tire was 4 lbs under, so to me that is under inflated. Again, this was our first ever trip. I am sure I will get used to it.
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 Diesel
Bowhnter is offline   Reply With Quote