Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2015, 09:37 AM   #1

Maiden voyage - finally - a few questions

Well, it finally quit raining long enough to take our maiden voyage. Went to a campground up near Beavers Bend State park in OK. Which was closed btw.

It was a pretty flat road and my TV pulled pretty good. No issues with getting passed by semis in either direction.
I was expecting a bit better gas mileage, I got less than 8 mpg and that is not good. We bought this to be able to take to IL when we go back to visit, but at that rate it would cost about $600 in gas alone.
As well, I think I am going to have a bit of hard time towing up the MO hills.

I will probably be looking for a different TV so any suggestions to what can get at least 12 mpg with enough power to pull 8k lbs with ease, I am all ears.

The park was basically all full timers, so there was very little interaction as they pretty much stayed to themselves.

Question, how early is too early to start up the air compressor on a Sunday morning? I waited til 8 because I saw no one moving, but would have liked to start it at 7.

The only issues we had were right off the bat, power tongue lift didn't work and once I found the fuse...of course I did not have that size. The nice park owner took me to the store a couple miles away and got me going.

The biggest issue we have is that you cannot hear the TV with the AC going (which was 90% of the time).
When I connected the TV to the AUX in, the overhead speakers would not work. The outside would though, so I know at least I am getting a signal there.
When playing a DVD, the speakers worked but are so weak. Why would they not spend a couple extra $ and install something worthwhile.
Sounds like my first warranty issue to me.
Any suggestions on the sound? Do I need to upgrade?

The dogs, also on their first camping trip, did pretty good, but new scenery and situations had them off schedule as well. There was little area for them to go.

One other thing comes to mind...why were there plastic bags over some of the faucets? Some of the full timers had a bucket over theirs, while others were just in the open

Overall, it was a pretty good first time ever trip for us.

Thanks for listening!
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 Diesel
Bowhnter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:02 AM   #2

Im glad you were able to get out. The first trip is always a nervous one (for myself anyway). I too have problems with my speakers, mainly the outside ones, they are weak. I think an upgrade is in order. On my unit the the inside and outside speakers are seperate, there is a channel a and b that you have to select which ones you want on (individual or both). I am going to see what the wattage output and then get some sony's or something installed.

As far a a newer TV, I tow with a diesel (2012 Dodge 6.7) and get about 12 mpg towing my 30 foot EVO (7-8k pound) this is a mix of mountain towing and roads ( I live in Utah and tow to Colorado often). Yes you will save money on gas/fuel but if you own your current truck you aren't making payments, just something to think about, it is a trade off.

Happy camping!

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 01:15 PM   #3

a diesel truck will yield better mileage for the rig you are towing. I've always know that while the more economic a vehicle (particularly a truck) is on gas when putting the stress of towing that fuel economy takes a huge hit, that you've already found out. Getting a truck with real good towing power works way less than that gas truck thus giving better fuel mileage, however like SuicideSaints said, if you truck is paid for then you'll just adding an additional expense of a payment with only a marginal savings in fuel. Also, I've always known that towing/RVing was going to be a bear on gas/fuel consumption but I still know it's way cheaper if not cost the same as getting a hotel but way more comfortable and you know you are staying in something that is yours and is clean as you make it. Anywhere I've ever gone with the my trailer is still cheaper than always getting a hotel, then again, I have an rv payment each month too.

"Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -Jerry Reed
Pauls Toy Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 01:36 PM   #4

Good points both of you...it is paid for. I will probably do a trial run up through MO later this fall and make sure it can handle it. We will travel pretty light.

Question for anyone...The park was basically all full timers, so there was very little interaction as they pretty much stayed to themselves.

How early is too early to start up the air compressor on a Sunday morning? I waited til 8 because I saw no one moving, but would have liked to start it at 7.
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 Diesel
Old 06-10-2015, 01:48 PM   #5
Site Team

It would help if you posted what your current TV and trailer are.
And the only TV you can hope will ever get close to 12mpg, would be a diesel.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:00 PM   #6

2015 Vibe 268RKS (RC - Road Cave)
2003 F150 Lariat Super Crew 5.4L 3.55 (57k miles)

I did not really want to go diesel (if diesel costs more, it would offset any MPG anyway?)
Probably stick to what I have unless it absolutely has problems towing through MO.
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 Diesel
Old 06-10-2015, 02:15 PM   #7

[QUOTE=Bowhnter;889218]2015 Vibe 268RKS (RC - Road Cave)

I did not really want to go diesel (if diesel costs more, it would offset any MPG anyway?)
QUOTE]

On that note....While diesel does cost more I can name some advantages right off the bat that make RV'ing that much better.

Stopping: it's better to have a truck that can stop your rig rather than pull it. Diesel truck have sturdier frames and newer trucks have all disc brakes and are usually very heavy duty and take the due stresses of breaking in emergency situations (i.e. heat and warping are less an issue)

stability: again because of the rigid frames of heavy duty/super duty truck, this equates to less stress on you. Example: the dog wags the tail, not the tail wags the dog.

Power: being able to get that truck moving down the road at an acceptable rate and including any hills is better for you as you are more closer to a speed that people can negotiate going around you and not being startled by coming up on you too fast and it just plain feels better to have it. Another thing I noticed....setting that cruise control and rarely hearing that torque converter coming on. Torque converter constantly shifting = bad fuel mileage.

There is more than fuel cost associated with finding a proper towing vehicle. Safety is number one. Not saying non-diesel or non heavy duty trucks are less safe but heavy duty trucks are just that heavy duty...built to take a little more abuse.

Buying a new truck is hard to swallow but don't just look at the cost of fuel/diesel as a deterrent, there are far more important advantages to it.

on a side note - you could look into some HD gas trucks if diesel isn't your thing, but you'll find fuel consumption won't improve much over what you get now but safety features will be greatly improved

"Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -Jerry Reed
Pauls Toy Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:24 PM   #8

Thanks and more good points...I didn't set the cruise for the reasons above except once to see what it would do.
My leg got tired!
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 Diesel
Old 06-10-2015, 02:30 PM   #9

I just follow quiet hours, if I am not within posted quiet hours then I will usually take care of whatever needs to be done, air, gennies, cooking.........

So you can compare yourself here is a great website that calculates the price differences between gas and fuel (diesel). You put in the average milage you drive, the current cost of fuel in one column and the current cost of gas in the other. I did my towing and non towing mileage separate and then combined them.

Fuel Cost Comparison Calculator

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:17 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhnter View Post
2015 Vibe 268RKS (RC - Road Cave)

If you won't go diesel, then don't expect much better mpg. We're happy if we average 10mpg in our gasser.
If you RV, you might as well stop worrying about gas mileage.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:11 PM   #11

quiet hours

Unless there is a compelling reason I would not start a noise making machine that early. Even if people are awake most people won't appreciate a lot of noise in the morning. You are bound to create some annoyed people with an air compressor at 7am. Unless you really need to wait until 9am with the noise.
fander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:54 PM   #12

As far as the hours... seems that a lot of people in campgrounds are on vacation or retired so don't have the same hours as a lot of people do. DH gets up at 4am REGARDLESS of where we are or if an alarm is set but he's kind of the exception to the rule. He knows that, too, so he usually just sits and reads or watches tv. I would say 7am is too early for most people, 9am is more reasonable.

As for diesel...DH is in love with his new truck--named BART (for BigAssRedTruck), a diesel. We saw this the other day in Garland, Tx...and who'd a thought it? Another exception to the rule....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2062.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	270.0 KB
ID:	79641  
Old 06-11-2015, 01:21 PM   #13

Us Ecoboost owners are often accused of being fanboys, but those that say diesel is the only way to get close to 12mpg are not accurate.

I towed a 6k mile trip last year with a 4500 lbs trailer and got 11.5mpg for the entire trip. In the last 1k miles, I did get 12mpg. My new trailer is 7500lbs and from my few short trips, I'm guessing I will still get between 10.5 and 11 on a long trip like that.

I'm not naive enough to say it tows like a diesel, but if your weight is within the ratings, then, well....it does.

Regardless, it all amounts to a small fraction of the savings you are enjoying with your current truck. If it's doing the job, I wouldn't change. My last truck wasn't.

tragusa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:14 PM   #14

I'm with you, Bowhnter. I want to get the most mpg I can, regardless of what I tow. I was in a similar dilemma. I am towing with a 2006 Silverado 2500 with the Duramax and average about 11.1 towing 9000 lbs. I am considering moving up to a motorhome (diesel versus gas). Right now the gas prices are close to the diesel prices so the diesel wins but, back when the fuel prices were sky high and there was a gap between the regular and the diesel prices of $0.70 to $0.80 per gallon, the gas won out. Just wish we could know the future. I do agree with the others, a new payment would be hard to justify unless you plan to become a full timer. Happy camping.
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:22 PM   #15

Howdy Bowhunter,
What make/model of audio system and a picture if possible?? While I have a gas mh, just about everyone will say that maintenance on a diesel rig is much lower as they last longer.
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:38 PM   #16

Did anyone answer your plastic bag question? I'd be wondering too.
PNWTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 03:04 PM   #17

You can heat tape or wrap faucet with insulation. Have put buckets to help stop the wind in the winter. My guess would be that they have not or might not take it down if that's their full time spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHanke View Post
Howdy Bowhunter,
What make/model of audio system and a picture if possible??.

I will have to get that tomorrow. I will just post it separate in the appropriate forum.

It is odd that the a (inside) and b (outside) work on the radio and DVD (although not loud enough) and only b works when I have TV plugged to aux. The r/w/y cable wasn't even connected to radio when I first looked. I wonder if I can reverse the a and b speaker wires. Will look next time I take it apart.
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 Diesel
Old 06-11-2015, 07:52 PM   #19

We had a 2012 Ram with 5.7 Hemi and 3.92 gear ratio pulling a 32' Rockwood with full weight of 9200 lbs. Averaged 10 MPG. No problems towing through the Adirondacks, Blue Ridge, Smokies, Kentucky, Virginia, the Carolinas, New Mexico and Arizona. We have switched over to the new F150. Will report later on gas mileage for that truck.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:58 PM   #20

2012 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 gas got 7.0 mpg pulling 2003 Wildcat 26FBS travel trailer ( 6630 dry weight 10820 TGVW). New fifth wheel is 10063 TGVW (8103 dry weight) and I now get 9.0 mpg. Has to be aero I would think.
Days camped 2014 33 . 2015 42. 2016 38. 2017 35. 2018 41. 2019 43. 2020 42. 2021 40.
mikes86gn is offline   Reply With Quote