Old 08-09-2014, 11:41 AM   #1

maiden voyage let down

We picked up our new 2014 Columbus 3650TH last Friday and brought it home opened the 3 slides so we could look it over and figure out how it all works during the weekend and during the week. The dealer said the went thru it with a fine tooth comb. When we opened the door we found the floor dirty, light fixture in the living room slide hanging off the wall by its wires, bathroom door not latching, DVD not coming on, surround sound bar not working with the TV, garage ramp door stuck, no pins to hold the queen size bed up to the ceiling in the garage, back door latch was broken, so we were disappointed to say the least.

I put the light back on the wall, cleaned the inside up, and we were going to make do with the rest and take it back to the dealer after our maiden voyage this weekend. So during the week, we checked the a/c units, hot water heater, tv's, shower toilet, stereo and other things. One night we checked the outside lights and the LED light strips under the awning had a lot of bulbs burned out and one front side light fixture didn't work so still nothing that was going to hold up our first trip that we had reservations for and paid for camping sight.

So on Thursday after work we loaded everything into the new toy hauler... food and toys, clothes and everything else thinking we are going. After putting it all in the new toy we go to close the 3 slides, kitchen slide closed, bedroom slide closed, living room slide starts to close then turns sideways and makes a loud noise. Long story short an hour later we get it to close and at this point to scared to try and reopen it thinking we will not get it closed again... so we unloaded our stuff being very pissed knowing our weekend is fue bar.

We hooked it back on the fifth wheel and was going to return it the next morning but there was another issue with the brake controller saying the trailer triple axle brakes were shorted which leaves you with no brakes on the trailer. Scary!!!! Couldn't find anything wrong so I pulled it back and forth in the driveway and it started working again. WOW.! Took it straight to dealer and as soon as I pulled into their drive it shorted again.

Told them about the issues which they didn't seem to care about. I spoke to the service manager dropped the trailer and left. Now I don't know where they got their fine tooth comb they went thru my trailer with, but I bet you could comb your hair with it. They even had the balls to say we sell them and fix them but we don't build them. LOL what a joke. We will see how the service is after the sale because it wasn't present at the sale. Sorry to rant and I will reveal this dealer if all isn't made right.

I also was not told about extending the factory warranty for an additional year for only $150 which they are now giving me. I'll keep you all posted of this fiasco.
Mud

435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:53 AM   #2
Site Team

Sorry to hear about the disappointment with your first trip. Once those issues are taken care of properly there will be lots of good times ahead for the family.

Did you have a PDI before you took delivery? I'm not impressed with your dealer based on what you shared with us. Hope things get better for you.

This might come as a surprise but dealers are not required to inform customers about the 2nd year warranty from FR. I know I was surprised when FR told me this.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:03 PM   #3

PDI??? I did tell them that I thought the slide looked out of alignment when we first bought it and they said they were going to look at it and the they go thru them with a fine tooth comb before delivery. When I picked it up and did a walk thru they were messing with the slide at that time so he showed me a few things about the 6 point auto leaving system and other things. I have had a rv for over 20 years so I'm not new to the rv world just new to Columbus toy hauler.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
Old 08-09-2014, 12:20 PM   #4
Camper Less Camping

Hope for the best in resolving these isssues...it's ashame that every Dealer doesn't treat a sale like it's their last one!
Old 08-09-2014, 12:30 PM   #5

Guess the most disappointing thing with them is when you spend $60k and they act like they could care less after the purchase. But I hope they repair it right and say they are sorry for the inconvenience. Just don't like the way this experience is starting out when they say it is all in good working order and it isn't.
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
Old 08-09-2014, 12:37 PM   #6
Site Team

Pdi is the predelivery inspection also known as walk thru or orientation. This is when you learn how to use everything and inspect the trailer for issues. You make sure everything works to your satisfaction and have them fix issues before signing papers/giving them money. That said it sounds like you had some form of this.

Was the light secured in place at that time and then came loose during the vibration from travel? The sawdust etc is common among new trailers as for some reason manufacturers/dealers don't blow it out of the duct work. Our crossroads had a bunch but our Sabre had a ton we just cleaned that and kept going like you did. Unfortunately issues like you and i are having (I'm having plenty of issues too) are very common industry wide and are not limited to forest river. The key is having a good dealership and a company that stands behind the product. Forest river has been known to do the right thing as evidenced by the free work they do at the factory rally every year. Now the question is how will your dealership do? Give them a chance to make it right but stay on them. Expect it to be in the shop for a couple weeks. I'm about a week and a half into mine being in the shop for a slide and a microwave repair plus a cracked shower. Dealership said depending on what needed to be done expect at least 2-3 weeks. They said after they diagnose it and get forest river warranty approval (unit is less than a month old) then it will take 6-10 days for a part to be shipped/arrive if the part is in stock at forest river, longer if it's not. Then comes the time to repair once the part arrives. Hopefully this will help give you a timeline to expect from your dealership. Mine has been really good to deal with so far. Remember that you will catch more flies with honey here so try to stay nice, patient and positive so they don't get p.o.ed at you and push your unit to the back of the line. I know for a fact my dealership bumped me to the front of the line since it came back to them with a major problem less than 3 weeks after purchase from them but I was nice to them about it (even though I was seriously disappointed).

Hopefully your dealership will step up. If not contact forest river directly and if necessary go to a different dealership for repairs.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:54 PM   #7

Shoulda done a walkthru before ever leaving the lot - slides in and out, check doors, all appliances, etc, etc Same thing you'd do on a new car or before taking possesion of a house.
There should have been a pdi form/checklist you signed at delivery - the 'proof' your trailer was in good working order before you took it off the lot.

The slide/brakes sounds like a wiring harness is pulled/caught, perhaps on the slide mechanism.

Bulbs being out is IMO unforgivable.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:57 PM   #8

My heart goes out to you and your family. My belief is to do the best you can and pray about it...it will work out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:59 PM   #9

When I took it back to them it was 6 days from the purchase date. I was nice as possible to them and I'm going to give them all the patience. Yes the light was on the wall when at the dealer. It fell off on the way home and you could see were it had been put back on several times. I remounted it properly so it won't come off again. I think they will fix all issues in a timely manner I hope. I spoke to the FR rep and the dealers are suppose to tell you about the extra year warranty for $150 also.
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
Old 08-09-2014, 01:04 PM   #10

Thanks for all the responses I know these things happen. Oh and no there was no check list during the so called walk thru.

2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4