Old 08-22-2016, 06:07 PM   #21

When I'm just overnighting in my Solera, like last night, I only bother plugging in for electric. It takes me 10 minutes to break camp; put away power cord, bring in the slide , possibly stow the roof Dish, store electric jacks, possibly close the electric awning and check inside that everything is secure. A few switches- nice and simple!!

Old 08-22-2016, 06:21 PM   #22

Maybe they pulled everything out so they had room to sleep. Lol, I hope it was an overnight on a longer trip.

http://www.visitedstatesmap.com/imag...AWAWVWYmed.jpg
SilverArrowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:57 PM   #23

We do quite a few weekenders at state parks near us. It takes my wife and I about 20 minutes to get the trailer setup and that includes putting out a rug, a couple chairs and a small table.

I've noticed a number of overnight tenters where we go. A lot of them appear to be folks that live close by and are taking the kids out for a quick camp out. The difference in how they pack seems to be more oriented by age. The older folks tend to be minimalists where as the younger folks and families seem to bring everything with them. Hikers of all ages seem to have next to nothing. Looking back at our tenting days it took us a while to get things organized. We eventually ended up with most items in boxes that we could load up as needed as opposed to just thrown in the back of the SUV. That in itself made the campsite look less cluttered even though we still had the same number of pans, chairs, lighting and so on.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:12 PM   #24

If the campsite is level, we can have the Solera set up in less than 10 minutes. Take about the same to break camp. We each have our jobs to do and it works well for us. So far, so good.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:27 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfd82 View Post
My vote is that both groups were novice campers. When we started tent camping we brought everything we owned and bought stuff on the way! It didnt take many trips to get down to just a backpack, or a backpack and "war chest" for longer trips.

We have RV camped with friends for a while before buying our own trailer, so the learning curve was a little less. We basically look at it like tent camping in a really nice, hard shell, air conditioned tent. The learning curve for us has been operating the systems in the camper, not "how" to camp.
Same here...my tent beginnings (I tend to go all out sometimes ) were a little ambitious. I decided "hey...let's try this camping thing" and proceeded to buy a $300 three room tent ( keep in mind there's only the two of us ) complete with built in LED lights. Of course, then followed the camp stove, the camp kitchen, the camp toilet, the camp sink, the chairs, the folding table, the lantern....and on...and on. After a year of playing tetris with the trunk and having the back seat full as well, we went to a popup so all of that junk would have a permanent home. Two years later, popup turned into a 21', two years later that one turned into 30-ish'. I'm done...for at least five years anyway, lol.

Some of that junk from the tent are still being used but I don't bring near the stuff I used to. I used to have over an hour setup time on the popup. After I decided that I really didn't need all that...stuff...it went down to about 30 min.

I still see people with tons of stuff at campgrounds. Sat dish and the entire contents of their garage seems like. Two days later....gone. That's a lot of stuff to pack and unpack. I don't want camping to be a job.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:09 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspengirl View Post
If the campsite is level, we can have the Solera set up in less than 10 minutes. Take about the same to break camp. We each have our jobs to do and it works well for us. So far, so good.
About the same here but with less concern about if the campsite is level. That is what the "auto level" button is for.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:12 PM   #27

Twice I've seen people with a recliner in their site doing weekend camping. I can't imagine why they would want to lug those heavy pieces of furniture in their trucks. Now, they just need to bring the kitchen sink....
Old 08-22-2016, 09:24 PM   #28

[/QUOTE]That is what the "auto level" button is for.[/QUOTE]

That would be a nice feature to have!
Old 08-22-2016, 09:56 PM   #29

That is what the "auto level" button is for.[/QUOTE]

That would be a nice feature to have![/QUOTE]

At age 68 and no plans to stop hauling a 5er around the country it becomes a requirement. I see some heavier framed TTs will soon have the option as well. Push the button and before I can get the water hose connected we are level and stabile.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:43 PM   #30

Best thing is that level button.